Footy

Started by Tangled Wires, August 13, 2009, 03:39:13 AM

Greeny

My closest team geographically were always Portsmouth. I've been down to Fratton Park many times - I used to love the midweek evening games. Brighton was a much further journey than that for me. But I remember the Brighton-Man Utd cup final very well, along with my favourite ever goal - the curling wonder goal by Ray Wilkins. Just tried to find it on Youtube and it's not there! Unbelievable.

I have been to the Withdean Stadium though - to run 1500m for West Sussex in the County Championships. That was pretty special.

Football is so different these days. The loss of the terraces took a lot of the fun away. It doesn't even seem that long ago when I could watch Spurs for a tenner on the terraces and Pompey for £7.50. Happy days.

Ferryman

Quote from: Greeny on August 13, 2009, 06:46:20 AMFootball is so different these days. The loss of the terraces took a lot of the fun away. It doesn't even seem that long ago when I could watch Spurs for a tenner on the terraces and Pompey for £7.50. Happy days.

Too bloomin right, a match at Arsenal is the best part of £100 all told (inlcuding incidentals) for me and my son). Remember the good old days, squashed on the terraces, go up the back of the terraces for a pee at half time, one pie shop in the whole stadium, pitch invasions, fights, skinheads, jumpers for goalposts etc etc.

Well done on running the 1500M in the county championships, damn impressive. I suspect you don't run quite so many 1500Ms these days  ;)

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Quote from: Ferryman on August 13, 2009, 07:48:22 AMWell done on running the 1500M in the county championships, damn impressive. I suspect you don't run quite so many 1500Ms these days  ;)

This was when I was 15 and mobile! Gravity and body mass has got the better of me now, lol. Can still run in short bursts, but even that is declining. It's tough getting old... !

SE

How funny is that I was at Man City on Saturday for the friendly with Celtic traveled down from Glasgow on the Saturday morning stayed at a hotel in Portland Street across the road from a really big music store Dawson,s I think it was called so I had to investigate some nice gear, football ok but had a great time in some of the bars and lots to drink
recorder
Boss BR-80

Tangled Wires

Quote from: side effect on August 13, 2009, 10:11:48 AMHow funny is that I was at Man City on Saturday for the friendly with Celtic traveled down from Glasgow on the Saturday morning stayed at a hotel in Portland Street across the road from a really big music store Dawson,s I think it was called so I had to investigate some nice gear, football ok but had a great time in some of the bars and lots to drink

The Scottish fans certainly add to the atmosphere of a game. I was at the Emirates Cup last week watching Arsenal v Rangers, and the noise generated from the Rangers fans was incredible.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

I too was at the Emirates cup for the same games, and you are right. Arsenal fans are far too quiet. The Rangers fans were fantastic. Last year, the Hamburg fans were great, they were doing little dances which were hysterical to watch.

That Wilshere lad was good, wasn't he?

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tangled Wires

Quote from: Ferryman on August 13, 2009, 10:31:51 AMI too was at the Emirates cup for the same games, and you are right. Arsenal fans are far too quiet. The Rangers fans were fantastic. Last year, the Hamburg fans were great, they were doing little dances which were hysterical to watch.

That Wilshere lad was good, wasn't he?

Cheers,

Nigel

You are right Nigel, Jack Wilshere was brilliant and looked so comfortable on the ball. So hard to believe he is only 17 years old. Future star for England I hope.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

SE

We play Arsenal in the Champions league next week at home first and then in London the big question up here is do you watch the game or go to see U2  cause they are on the same night. I think if you check ebay their will a few tickets for sale for the U2 gig.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Ferryman

I only liked U2 in the very early days. Saw them in 1981 on the October tour, they were brilliant (despite Bono's mullet). But I didn't like the October album much and nothing recapatured the intensity of Boy for me in any album since. Like Simple Minds, they became a stadium rock band, not my kind of thing. So I would go and see the footy myself. Also, I think I heard in the UK they couldn't use all the capabilities of this amazing stage rig they have for health and safety reasons, but I could have dreamed that.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

SteveG

Quote from: Ferryman on August 13, 2009, 11:14:55 AMI only liked U2 in the very early days. Saw them in 1981 on the October tour, they were brilliant (despite Bono's mullet). But I didn't like the October album much and nothing recapatured the intensity of Boy for me in any album since. Like Simple Minds, they became a stadium rock band, not my kind of thing. So I would go and see the footy myself. Also, I think I heard in the UK they couldn't use all the capabilities of this amazing stage rig they have for health and safety reasons, but I could have dreamed that.

Cheers,

Nigel

My sentiments exactly ... apart from the football bit!