IDEAL KEYBOARD FOR THE HOME RECORDIST??

Started by TomH86, April 23, 2008, 11:04:28 PM

DannyB_KY

I'm also a keyboard rookie, who's in the market for a keyboard. I took a few piano lessons back in the 90s.

I was looking at controllers to use with Sonar X1 LE that came with the BR80. The free VST mini moog is so cool!  But I have a lot to learn about MIDI.

I was looking at the Akai MPK61 and the Roland A-800. I can spend around $350 USD. I'm NOT completely sold on a controller. My laptop is an older Sony VIAO, 1.8ghz dual core with 3Gig memory and USB2. Maybe latency is not the issue it used to be???

I do like the idea of built in sounds with the keyboard. But frankly, I don't know for sure what I want, so I'm open to suggestions on where to start.

I read the thread suggested above, but the suggested keyboards are now too old.
Unlike wives, you can never have too many Les Pauls.

64Guitars

M-Audio announced their new Axiom A.I.R. keyboard controllers at Summer NAMM which look pretty good. Unfortunately, they won't be available until later this year (possibly mid-October).

Here's the 49-key version:

It's also available in 25-key and 61-key versions, plus there's a compact 32-key version with mini keys.

I'm kind of interested in the 25-key version because I don't have much room near my computer.

I don't think prices have been announced yet.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

DannyB_KY

Wow! Those Junos are totally BA!!! The new MA Audio controller lloks nice. The Korg PS60 synth with semi weighted keys is nice.

I suspect I'm going to have to move into the $500 range. A Juno can be had "like new but used' in that range.

So many choices and so much confused thought......... ;D

DannyB_KY

Ok........you fellahs are such bad influences.............I just ordered a new Roland Juno Gi.   ;D    And there is a $100 rebate!

I was going to purchase a Roland 800 Pro keyboard. I thought it should be problem free with Sonar. But I decided I didn't want to be tethered to the laptop. The wife or daughter would never use it.

I dig the 12 touch pads on that A.I.R.!!!

Geir

Congrats on the Roland Juno Gi !!! Now I'm really getting GAS !!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

i am so jealous, you will have lots of fun with that gi baby i am sure
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: DannyB_KY on August 08, 2012, 08:59:17 PMI just ordered a new Roland Juno Gi.   ;D

That's the one with the built-in recorder with 64 tracks and 8-channel mixing. Also comes with Sonar LE and can be used as an audio interface. Plus you can use the Gi to play software synths on your computer.

Excellent choice! I'm sure you'll love it.

While you're waiting for it, download the manuals and start studying.

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=manuals&p=JUNO-GI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOB6Ef3p4ag

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

DannyB_KY

Thanks all!!

64, I have downloaded all the stuff on the Gi.

But right now, I'm moving my music area to another side of the room. This will give me more elbow space!
I bought a Z stand for the keyboard, so I needed a little more real-estate!

Oldrottenhead

as soon as you get it register it with roland, when i registered my di  i got an extended warranty.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

DannyB_KY

I registered it last night, but I didn't notice anything from Roland. However, I bought it from Sweetwater Music, and they furnish a two year warranty on pretty much anything you buy from them.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll log into Roland and see if I can find something!!