IDEAL KEYBOARD FOR THE HOME RECORDIST??

Started by TomH86, April 23, 2008, 11:04:28 PM

TomH86

Hey all,

Im gonna purchase a keyboard, obviously for the extra instrumentation and all those different sounds you can get from them! I think it'll allow me to be more creative and i'll be able to experiment more, which is what I love to do...Anyway, I digress, what would you recommend, brand and model wise?

Im not sure...What price will I be looking at???

Thanks,

Tom.  8)

guitarron

thats a hard topic to touch because there are so many options these days-if you have host program, many are using midi controllers and vst plugins for various instrument options
if you want a stand alone type keyboard with built in sounds there are many choices there too
Can't go wrong with the bigger players in that market, such as korg, roland and yamaha
what kind of sounds do you want to create?
Ron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

there was a thread started in this vein a while back
https://songcrafters.org/community/recording/midi-keyboard/msg529/#msg529

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

kc2ine

I could suggest roland juno gi, very good, light instrument with boss 8 tracks recorder on board and great sounds.
It's perfect for song writing.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1126&ParentId=83

recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

i got the roland juno di and i love it. the gi looks pretty cool too. a bit like the di with a built in br800
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

kc2ine

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 06, 2011, 11:00:17 AMi got the roland juno di and i love it. the gi looks pretty cool too. a bit like the di with a built in br800

yes, but gi has twice as wave memory then di.
It has practically same sounds as bigger juno stage.

recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

cool, i was lead to believe it was a juno di with an 8 track stuck on top.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

bruno

Can I recommend the Korg Micro Workstation - small 5 octave keys - but the sounds are brill.

Also - if you have a Mac - get an Oxygene 2 midi keyboard and use the garage band synths.s

If you are on Windows - you can download some brilliant freeware synths - a few years ago I downloaded a moog for PC - freeware - and it was bloody brilliant. See https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=14338.0, they background keys were that free download. But you will need a lot of external gear and patience as ASIO drivers are a pain in the arse, and you end up will all sorts of delays. Painful.

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Blooby

I bought a used Roland sound module a while back for $75.  Couple that we some afordable midi controller, and you're gold.

Blooby

Facemask93

Ive just bought an Axiom 49 , which i use with garageband , also if you use an Apple camera connection kit , plugged into an iPad or iPhone , you can then connect your keyboard controller and use the apps in those as well

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper