Guitar Setup

Started by launched, August 10, 2009, 10:49:41 AM

Greeny

Wow! Thanks everyone for some really good advice. I don't know how you know all this stuff, but thanks for sharing. And thanks to Mark for raising the question.

launched

Just for practice, I did set my guitar up last night 8) Thanks StevieM, Sprocket, SteveG and Hooper!

I used a depth micrometer for the bridge and pickup adjustments, because I didn't have another form of measuring device. It seemed to work ok. I haven't printed the neck radius gauge yet. I did go to the website Hooper recommended and it had everything that was said in there, plus lots more. You guys were taking me down the right path - thanks!!

Here's the results:

1. Truss Rod - Relief was in spec (The suggested guidelines).
2. Pickup Adjustment - Those were way out of whack. Much stronger sound now - I might crank them back in a little more :D
3. Intonation - My E string was off a little, but I didn't do anything about it because I will be changing strings soon.
4. Bridge adjustment - Action was within the suggested guidelines.

Wow, I just set my guitar up!! Thanks everybody!!

Mark

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Sprocket

Quote from: launched on August 11, 2009, 07:37:53 AMI haven't printed the neck radius gauge yet.

Thats really my favorite tool for doing set ups...gets the action perfect acrossed the board, but youll need to check you intonation again after radius-ing the bridge.

QuoteWow, I just set my guitar up!! Thanks everybody!!

Sure beats paying somebody to rough the set up for you...and it still not be right.
And now that you know this stuff, youll be able to keep an eye on it...so your guitars set-up/condition will continue to improve, and so will your tone AND playing.

SteveG

And at a setup a year you just saved yourself a quid every week .... plus any other problems that may arise and you will recognise once you know what to look for :D

StevieM

Quote from: Greeny on August 11, 2009, 02:25:08 AMWow! Thanks everyone for some really good advice. I don't know how you know all this stuff, but thanks for sharing. And thanks to Mark for raising the question.

I don't know about anyone else, but I learnt when I got my first electric. Only had a cheap acoustic before that ( and a Bass), wanted an electric, couldn't afford one ( or was just too tight to buy one :D) so made one. Done another 4 since then, working on another two now.

Using a radius gauge is quite a good idea, couple of things to watch for though.
1--- If it's a printable one (downloaded), make sure that it's accurate when printed and cut out.
2--- If the nut and slots are slightly out it won't give a true reading
3--- It's a bit tricky if it's a compound radius fretboard.
4--- If there's a slight warp to the neck ( not enough to affect playing), that could put it out too.

I tend to always just go for feel and sound ;D
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Wiley

You guys all lost me!!

Davo

This book is worth its weight in gold.  A few household tools, and this book is all you need.  Covers electrics, acoustics, and a bit on bass.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_plans/Building_and_repair:_Guitar,_electric/Guitar_Player_Repair_Guide.html

Youtube has some good stuff too.  And if you have any questions let us know on here.

Good luck!
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

launched

Looks like a good site to check out Davo!

Mark
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Ferryman

Lots of great info here, thanks very much the Steves. I do string changes and adjust action but always get the local shop to do a fuller setup. Now I have the info to do a lot more myself, thanks all.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

OK - I set my guitar up, and it plays great. It wasn't really that off, but I got to perform the measurements and now have new perspective regarding the mechanics of the instrument. Thanks all for the help!!

The pickups were way off, however - I adjusted them closer to the strings based on printed guidelines. The result was horrible, though - a forceful, muddy tone that I can barely stand listening to. I can now see why whomever had it prior to me cranked the pickups way in toward the body.

It's an Epi SG from 1996, so it has humbuckers, but even though it is an inferior guitar it shouldn't sound that bad. I try different knob settings and pickup selections, but unless I set the switch to "Treble" and the tone knobs to "10" I can't get a useable sound.

And, to be truthful, with the pickups set way in toward the body did sound better, but not much different - hard to explain. Just weaker and more manageable.

I'm not going to just run out and buy new pickups, because there's got to be a better way or maybe something I don't know.

Maybe my electronics are problematic? The poles have an ever so slight amount of corrosion on them - Clean them? The pick guard has a couple different types of screws on it - Maybe somebody messed with the gizzards. Is there some kind of mod that a pimply faced teenager would attempt and fail that I should troubleshoot?

Thanks

:P

Mark

recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me