string problems!

Started by Bro, August 09, 2009, 08:14:26 AM

Bro

Quote from: Sprocket on August 10, 2009, 09:47:52 AM
Quote from: 0jimihendrix0 on August 10, 2009, 12:13:03 AM
Quote from: Migs on August 09, 2009, 10:17:31 PMMy fingers would start bleeding if I went mad bending with 12s.

Are you sure it is rust and not just a different colour to the B & E because it is a different alloy to those two ?
Yes I'm sure. The g-string only looks rusty around the 3th and 5th fret.

Which were exactly where i played on that recording i made.

Dead skin? Super corrosive sweat? Thats about the only thing I can think of.
You might try using "Fast Fret" after each session...its white mineral oil and will clean and lube your strings as well as prevent corrosion.

Now that you went to 11's, did you notice how your neck bowed up?
Or how your tremolo is no longer balanced?(unless its slammed)

Quote from: launched on August 10, 2009, 08:59:05 AMAlso, what's a 10 or 11? I usually go to the guitar and tell them to get me whatever comes on my guitar new, which makes me look stupid enough...

Most guitars come with 9s...as 9s hardly put any tension on the neck, this is really only good for long term storage or transit.
Most people will change out the strings ASAP to a set of 10s...and then set the neck up for proper tension.
9's, 10's and 11's are the string gauge, measuring the high e string gauge, as thats the string that most everyone normally breaks.
The neck is as a matter of fact fine even though i changed up to 11s
The tremolo is slammed i think. If that means that it's not floating anyway.
thanks for the advice!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

SteveG

Quote from: launched on August 10, 2009, 08:59:05 AMHow often are you supposed to change your strings, anyway? This is coming from a complete guitar knownothing. I play around 1/2 hour a day give or take.

If one snaps, if they sound flat, if you cannot quite get your usual tone, if they are rusty ... change 'em. I change the strings on my Strat monthly, SG and Acoustic as needed.

Quote from: launched on August 10, 2009, 08:59:05 AMI usually don't change my strings for months. It just seems like after putting new strings on it takes a while for them to stay in tune - after several days it seems like they will stay in tune forever after that. Plus I hate changing them.

You have to stretch them. And you have to make sure you wind them on the peg properly. Everybody has their pet string winding method, google it ... personaly I pull it tight, then make slack about eaqual to the first fret, then wind the string, making sure that the first time round the end goes UNDER the string, then OVER the next time, and any others if you have too much slack. This means the string is pinched between two windings, so more secure.
Once you have retuned, pull each string from the fingerboard all along the neck. Retune, repeat, retune ..... until it stays in tune. your tuning is now stable.

Quote from: launched on August 10, 2009, 08:59:05 AMAlso, what's a 10 or 11? I usually go to the guitar and tell them to get me whatever comes on my guitar new, which makes me look stupid enough...

Mark

As mentioned that refers to the size of the 1st (Thinnest) string, the others will be larger too inproportion. Light strings are easy to bend, fret barres, trill etc etc. Heavy strings give more tone .... although if you use a lot of gain I would not bother as you wont hear it, I cant at least. I use 9's, Ernie Ball Slinky.

launched

Greeny, Sprocket - Thanks for the info. I saw on my package that I have 11's - I hate the feel of the G string and never knew why. Remember, I just get the package the guitar store gives me...

Steve - Thanks so much for the tech tips. I'm excited, because I play rocky, gainy stuff. I'm going out to get 9's tonight, because with 11's that G string feels so stiff and disproportionate to everything else.

Thanks again, guys. I have one more question about guitar setup, but it doesn't pertain to this thread, so I'll make a new one.

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Sprocket

[launched]
Go with the 10s, go with the 10s!!!
Your plan is going from one extreme to another...try the 10s first, Im pretty sure youll be content.

AndyR

I agree with Sprocket, Launched, try 10s first - you'll be flapping about all over the place going from 11s to 9s
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bluesberry

10s all the way for me on all my elecrics, acoustics its 12s or 11s

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

10's on the Strat.......9's on the others
but my Les Paul is currently enjoying 8's :o
 Ernie Ball all the way ;)

SteveG

I tried the 8's. Didn't hate 'em, but went back to 9's next time.

Davo

What material is the string set?  Nickel, stainless?

They may be old but wiping strings down and fast fret easily double if not triple my string life.

There is a device sold that cleans the top and botton of the strings in one pass, it works great.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Geir

9 or 10 electric, 11 acoustic ...

I find those Elixir nanoweb strings are worth the double price. At least on guitars you don't use everyday. They last for ages!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........