string problems!

Started by Bro, August 09, 2009, 08:14:26 AM

Bro

So i just switched up to 11s on my strat.

But i recorded one song with them and the g-string is already starting to rust?!

Do i go up to 12s?

Btw the strings are a quite good quality, they are d'Addario
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

SteveG

Perhaps you got a bad one, cant be anything to do with the gauge so going up a size would not help.

StevieM

Yep, definitely sounds like you got a duff set there, any chance you can send them back?? No way should they be rusty! And Steve's right, size has got nothing to do with it.

Something I use is called 'String Glide', there's all sorts of different ones, it helps to keep the strings (and fretboard) clean, and makes it a bit easier to slide. It's just a liquid that's wiped on.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Migs

My fingers would start bleeding if I went mad bending with 12s.

Are you sure it is rust and not just a different colour to the B & E because it is a different alloy to those two ?
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Bro

Quote from: Migs on August 09, 2009, 10:17:31 PMMy fingers would start bleeding if I went mad bending with 12s.

Are you sure it is rust and not just a different colour to the B & E because it is a different alloy to those two ?
Yes I'm sure. The g-string only looks rusty around the 3th and 5th fret.

Which were exactly where i played on that recording i made.
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

AndyR

Do you mean actual rust? Or is it going grey/dark where the plating is wearing off?

I have very corrosive sweat, and most strings will start looking dull around where I play after a day or two of reasonably heavy use (even with hefty wipe-downs after playing).

If used them for a recording session, I'd expect them to deteriorate faster ! :D

By the way I use D'Addario myself, one of the reasons I do is because they last a bit better for me.

If it's only the one string though, and especially if it's really rust, it does sound like you might have a dud there - it happens.

By the way, congrats on going up to 11s :) Is that's what's on your recent Texas Flood? Nice tone :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bro

Quote from: AndyR on August 10, 2009, 02:03:58 AMBy the way, congrats on going up to 11s :) Is that's what's on your recent Texas Flood? Nice tone :)

Yep it is! Thanks, i'd have to change strings 3 times a week with 10s

Couldn't stand it so jumped up to 11s

launched

How often are you supposed to change your strings, anyway? This is coming from a complete guitar knownothing. I play around 1/2 hour a day give or take.

I usually don't change my strings for months. It just seems like after putting new strings on it takes a while for them to stay in tune - after several days it seems like they will stay in tune forever after that. Plus I hate changing them.

Also, what's a 10 or 11? I usually go to the guitar and tell them to get me whatever comes on my guitar new, which makes me look stupid enough...

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Greeny

I never change my strings either - unless they break, which has only happened 3 or 4 times in my life. Sheer laziness... lol

Sprocket

Quote from: 0jimihendrix0 on August 10, 2009, 12:13:03 AM
Quote from: Migs on August 09, 2009, 10:17:31 PMMy fingers would start bleeding if I went mad bending with 12s.

Yes I'm sure. The g-string only looks rusty around the 3th and 5th fret.

Which were exactly where i played on that recording i made.

Dead skin? Super corrosive sweat? Thats about the only thing I can think of.
You might try using "Fast Fret" after each session...its white mineral oil and will clean and lube your strings as well as prevent corrosion.

Now that you went to 11's, did you notice how your neck bowed up?
Or how your tremolo is no longer balanced?(unless its slammed)

Quote from: launched on August 10, 2009, 08:59:05 AMAlso, what's a 10 or 11? I usually go to the guitar and tell them to get me whatever comes on my guitar new, which makes me look stupid enough...

Most guitars come with 9s...as 9s hardly put any tension on the neck, this is really only good for long term storage or transit.
Most people will change out the strings ASAP to a set of 10s...and then set the neck up for proper tension.
9's, 10's and 11's are the string gauge, measuring the high e string gauge, as thats the string that most everyone normally breaks.