Who Would Pay $32,000 for a Regular Old Guitar in a Catalog?

Started by launched, August 07, 2009, 12:17:09 PM

launched

Quote from: Vanncad on August 07, 2009, 07:14:38 PMI saw that too and was wondering WTF?  ???

But then I saw a show last night where a guy won $84 million in  a lottery and started his own record label just to try to sign some chick who was on American Idol or something.

I guess there's always someone out there with some spare cash laying around.

I need a new acoustic too, but my budget is a little lower.  :-[

Crazy, ain't it? I know I might catch some flak, but a $500 guitar is a really nice one in my opinion. Some friends of mine are self admitted brand whores, but they all love their beat to shit junk. For example, a buddy of mine thought he had died and gone to heaven when I said he could have my Epi P Bass with a warped neck - He plays shows with that crappy thing!

It would be my dream to have a nice guitar some day, though!!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

OsCKilO

The Thing is.........

Some guy (I say Guy Because women are not this stupid....) with more money then brains would pay that much for it because of the price....

Price= Quality he would think...........

Then he would see the cheap copy that plays twice as well and think:-

"Damn.......... I could have bought me 1000 hookers for them Bucks...."

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

launched

That's why you'll never be able to buy another guitar again, T ;D

Quote from: osckilo on August 07, 2009, 08:16:45 PMThe Thing is.........

Some guy (I say Guy Because women are not this stupid....) with more money then brains would pay that much for it because of the price....

Price= Quality he would think...........

Then he would see the cheap copy that plays twice as well and think:-

"Damn.......... I could have bought me 1000 hookers for them Bucks...."

recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: launched on August 07, 2009, 12:17:09 PMAnd the best ones are given away - Frank Zappa had the guitar Hendrix burned onstage, and gave it away to Dweezil. It was promptly restored and auctioned off after daddy died... Waste.

Cocksucker, that Dweezil.  I didn't know this, but I am thoroughly disgusted. >:(
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

launched

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on August 07, 2009, 09:06:43 PM
Quote from: launched on August 07, 2009, 12:17:09 PMAnd the best ones are given away - Frank Zappa had the guitar Hendrix burned onstage, and gave it away to Dweezil. It was promptly restored and auctioned off after daddy died... Waste.

Cocksucker, that Dweezil.  I didn't know this, but I am thoroughly disgusted. >:(

I was kind of sore when I read about it, too. For what it's worth, I think the money went to charity...

The story is searchable on the internet, I'm pretty sure. Kind of funny - little Dweez found it packed away under a stairwell or something and his dad said, "Take it, it's yours". WTF?? Bizarre as hell, anyway. Wish I could dig it back up again to get all more details.
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

Quote from: launched on August 07, 2009, 09:19:03 PMThe story is searchable on the internet, I'm pretty sure. Kind of funny - little Dweez found it packed away under a stairwell or something and his dad said, "Take it, it's yours". WTF?? Bizarre as hell, anyway. Wish I could dig it back up again to get all more details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAX_YMFcXDs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2277023.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2956236.stm

According to these BBC pages, Dweezil put the guitar up for auction September 24, 2002. The highest bid was £300,000 which he declined to accept. So, I guess he still has the guitar.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 07, 2009, 10:18:58 PMAccording to these BBC pages, Dweezil put the guitar up for auction September 24, 2002. The highest bid was £300,000 which he declined to accept. So, I guess he still has the guitar.

Great find, 64G's. Thanks for putting this information together. Not quite how I remembered it, but close. To deflect urban legend, I'll correct my post here. I'm going to say Dweezil would be the most reliable source :) :

1. Dweezil's father Frank restored the guitar, not the other way around. It was discovered by Dweezil unassembled. Apparently Dweezil made further modifications such as locking tuners, reverse neck and gold hardware, but I couldn't find documentable proof of that.

2. There was no mention of a charity - Little Dweez will most likely pocket the money.

And a cool note is that the guitar was loved and played for many years, appearing on at least one of Frank Zappa's albums (Zoot Allures) - It would be nice to know why Frank disassembled it and packed it away in the fashion he did, though...
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

guitarron

Quote from: cuthbert on August 07, 2009, 01:07:26 PMMark - I got that catalog today, too! I missed the $32K Martin re-issue, though...

Nope, I wouldn't pay $32K for any guitar. But I wouldn't mind being in the club of those who could (outside of the $666/mo club, that is - Mark o' the Beast).
reminds me of the van halen "frankenstien" replicas selling for 25k
it's a piece of shit if you ask me-lol
even comes with a p-up thats intentionally not working

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder