RIP John Hughes

Started by Greeny, August 07, 2009, 10:20:38 AM

Greeny

Some people will say his films are trashy, but I like a lot of them. Especially this one (which he wrote), which has one of my favourite title sequences and a great theme song from Lindsey Buckingham. And one of the funniest scenes of a family man 'losing it' ever committed to film (familiar to anyone??? lol)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY9xZoKiBgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMrqdI8MTBM

launched

A great movie. Christmas Vacation is everyone's favorite where I'm from. I had to Wiki Hughes to remember what else he did. Can't believe he wrote most of my favorite comedy movies. Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Uncle Buck, Ferris Bueller's Day off, wow!! He even wrote Breakfast Club.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hughes_(director)

Too bad he's gone.

Excellent post Greeny!!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

launched

And one of my favorite scenes (Randy Quaid is a funny mofo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9sY6iH9Ojg
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

OsCKilO

It was whilst watching National Lampoons Euro Vacation as a kid, that I saw my first set of Boobs.

Thank you Mrs Griswald......

Thank you and RIP Mr Hughs.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

ianjm

Favourite line from xmas vacation

`SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!`

Davo

I was so bummed to hear this yesterday-I had just watched Pretty in Pink a few weeks back.

Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller.  As a young one he had a certain "something" that connected with me in high school.  
Perhaps out of fondness that connection has stayed with me to today.
I dont know of any modern directors/writers who can nail  that mix of comedy, drama, and the awkwardness of puberty better-or even close for that matter.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

launched

Quote from: ianjm on August 07, 2009, 02:28:33 PMFavourite line from xmas vacation

`SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!`

You know what I'm talkin' about!!

I agree Davo - Even Amy Heckerling wouldn't come close!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

guitarron

never realized that song was Lindsey Buckingham

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Davo on August 07, 2009, 02:30:09 PMI dont know of any modern directors/writers who can nail  that mix of comedy, drama, and the awkwardness of puberty better-or even close for that matter.

Agreed, Davo, he was a brilliant writer and director.  Some may think of his movies as little throw-away comedies, but they -- OK, most of them, anyway -- are much deeper than that.  And as you said, no one can really capture that mix of comedy, drama, and teen -- and even non-teen -- angst that EVERYONE can relate to better than he did.  My favorites of his are Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, Uncle Buck, The Breakfast Club, and Vacation, but there are so many others that are great too ... Ferris Bueller, Pretty in Pink (what a soundtrack!), X-Mas Vacation, Some Kind of Wonderful, The Great Outdoors, hell, even Home Alone had it's moments.  A very sad loss indeed, and a bigger loss for the film industry than people seem to realize. :(
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels