strat project finished

Started by Bro, August 06, 2009, 08:14:44 AM

Bro

Hey folks, my strat project is now finished!

But there is a problem too!

The guitar store stringed with 0.09s and it's set to them now.
And i have a band rehearsal tomorrow, now: I can either string it with 0.10s and hope that they can hold through to rehearsal, or string it with 0.11s, and hope that the neck can stay straight. What do i do?

The 0.09s have only been on the guitar for a day.

thanks, I'll upload sound samples when i have time!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Bro

I need crises help on this one! Please folks!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

The Reverend 48

Glad its sorted
What does it sound like? :D
As its only a rehersal I would go with the 9's :o
Good Luck what ever you choose ;)

Bro

Quote from: 48 on August 06, 2009, 08:39:34 AMGlad its sorted
What does it sound like? :D
As its only a rehersal I would go with the 9's :o
Good Luck what ever you choose ;)
It sounds great!
But the rehearsal is all day i think! What happens if i go up to 0.11s? or 0.10s?

Greeny

I'd stick with the 0.9's and see how they hold up. Are you afraid of breaking them, or do you just prefer thicker strings? I'd have some spares on hand just in case.

I've never played 0.9's. I go for 0.10 or 0.11. Although my telecaster is currently on 0.12's for lush rhythm playing. They don't go out of tune, but you can't bend them, lol.

Bro

Quote from: Greeny on August 06, 2009, 08:51:04 AMAre you afraid of breaking them, or do you just prefer thicker strings?
I know they will break, it always happens to me, i play with 0.09s for 10 minutes and they break, i think they are on they're way as we speak! So i think i'll go for the 10s and switch to the 11s if they break. Right?

Greeny

I'd be very surprised if switching to 0.10's makes too much difference to the guitar. Better to change them now than have them break mid-song! You must be doing some serious bends, lol

Bro

Quote from: Greeny on August 06, 2009, 09:03:32 AMI'd be very surprised if switching to 0.10's makes too much difference to the guitar. Better to change them now than have them break mid-song! You must be doing some serious bends, lol
Okay, i'll do that then! I do do some serious bends :D

When you change strings on a strat, should you do it one after one, or should you take all the strings off first and replace them like that? I can't remember?
My trem is not floating btw

Greeny

Don't know the answer to that. Sorry! Help someone!

Sprocket

Im with you on the 9s...and in my opinion you should go with the lightest string you can without breaking them. For me that is 10s.

One thing you might consider before changing string gauge, especially before a big rehearsal or gig(or even after youve paid for a proper set up)...is that your guitar is set up for 9s, 9s dont put alot of tension on the neck, but as you increase string guage you are going to add more and more tension to the neck...you action that was dialed in low on 9s is now gonna be higher with 11's...with 10s its not going to be as severe, but it may still have an effect, which may or may not require a minor trussrod adjustment...but 11's will certainly require a trussrod adjustment.

String guage also effects intonation, so even though you might be in tune...it might be off the further you go up the neck.