More Tele Talk

Started by The Reverend 48, August 06, 2009, 05:46:06 AM

AndyR

All my teles have a four-way switch, 48.

My Baja tele also has the S1 switch in the volume control for phase switching the neck pickup.

I like the four-way, but don't use the extra position (bridge and neck in series) that much. It's a nice thick tone with all the bite of the bridge - good for zz top :D

I don't like the phase switching though. When out-of-phase, Position 2, the standard bridge/neck in parallel, is OK. A bit stratty, but not that gorgeous "hollow" telly sound you usually get in the middle. Position 4 has the same effect as phase switching one of the coils on a humbucker - some like it, but I think it's vile. It sounds thin, weedy and reedy - like you're playing your guitar through a little transistor radio :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

guitarron

the new versions of teles have some nice features for sure
my tele is a "50's" model
3 way swith-brass barrel type bridge-2 tone sunburst

i like the S1 switching scheme fender uses now

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Davo

Quote from: 48 on August 08, 2009, 07:43:40 AMHas anybody got their tele set up with the 4way switch and the out of phase sound?

Or is it series/parrallel?
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

AndyR

The four-way itself is usually wired to give series or parallel options when both pickups are selected.

Fender are also using (eg on the MIM Baja) an S1 switch for the volume control, wired for phase switching of the neck.

:)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Davo

Quote from: AndyR on August 08, 2009, 10:56:18 AMAll my teles have a four-way switch, 48.

My Baja tele also has the S1 switch in the volume control for phase switching the neck pickup.

I like the four-way, but don't use the extra position (bridge and neck in series) that much. It's a nice thick tone with all the bite of the bridge - good for zz top :D

I don't like the phase switching though. When out-of-phase, Position 2, the standard bridge/neck in parallel, is OK. A bit stratty, but not that gorgeous "hollow" telly sound you usually get in the middle. Position 4 has the same effect as phase switching one of the coils on a humbucker - some like it, but I think it's vile. It sounds thin, weedy and reedy - like you're playing your guitar through a little transistor radio :D

You are not helping my Tele Gas!  That 4 way with phase switch sounds downright flexible!
The only thing that kept me from getting one was the apparent lack of versatility-though apparently thats not true.  Even if it was-id trade that wonderful tele bridge tone for 100 other options any day.

I need a tele!

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Geir

I think I want a SG .....

yep ...

I do !!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

AndyR

Quote from: Geir on August 11, 2009, 05:37:14 AMI think I want a SG .....

yep ...

I do !!!!!

:D

There, I said the SG is the "new tele" - the GAS is rising for SGs on various forums, it's tele tele tele for months, now I'm seeing lots of "I'd really like an SG"...

Yes you would Geir :)

Here's mine, nearly two weeks old now, she's actually a bit darker than this pic - it was particularly sunny that day...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

SteveG

Quote from: Geir on August 11, 2009, 05:37:14 AMI think I want a SG .....

yep ...

I do !!!!!

Everybody should have an SG....

DO quite fancy a Tele tho!

Davo

SG's were never my thing.  But a p90 version would be cool.