What Am I Gonna Do (Original)

Started by Vanncad, August 05, 2009, 07:51:28 PM

Vanncad

WhatAmIGonnaDo_SC
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I had the day off, so I did some experimenting.

This is the first time I have recorded a song by micing my amp. I had a real hard time getting the levels right. There is still some buzz. Maybe my ears are going.

Anyways, I had a good time recording this one. Hope you guys like it.

The specs:
Guitar - Japanese Strat
Amp - Fender Bandmaster thru a Crate 4X12 cab
Effects
Guitar #1 - BBE Green Screamer
Guitar #2 - BR600 P03
Guitar #3 - BBE Green Screamer + Boss Delay + Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Bass - Fender Jazz (borrowed from a buddy) straight into the BR600 (Tube Bass patch)
Mic - Shure SM 58 - placed about 4" in front of one speaker, then plugged directly into the BR600 with effect patch P01

It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

64Guitars

Wow! I love the guitar tones, Vann, and the song! I especially love the tension in the 8 bars before the guitar solo at 1:21. That is soooo cool!!!  8)

The lead guitar reminds me of someone. Hendrix comes to mind, but there's someone else it reminds me of even more and I can't place who it is.

This song makes me envious for several reasons. 1) I wish I could play and write as good as you. 2) I've got to get a Strat. I've always loved the unique tone of Strats but I've never owned one. 3) I wish I lived somewhere where I could crank up my HIWATT and mic it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Vanncad

64 -Thanks. I lucked out and got the strat and my epi les paul for a good price from a guy who was off-loading some gear. Until a couple years ago, I was playing a Washburn G-4. I got that BBE Green Screamer from GC fo $30 and it's the best purchase I have ever made (except for the Bandmaster, which I bought with corn-detassling money back in the early 80's).

I was going for a Robin Trower type of sound with a little Stevie Ray mixed in. I wrote the lyrics to this tune this afternoon sitting around the pool so they are not as refined as they should be.

P.S. - I am envious of you because you own a HIWATT! Maybe that's my problem. I only had the amp on 3.5 and set the Mic level higher on the BR600.

It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Bob Iles

Holy f#@!ing sheet, Batman.  Great track, man!   I'm not a big blues guy, but god damn that rocked!  I like your idea for using the mic into a guitar patch.  I tried mic'ing my amp through a mic patch, and wasn't totally satisfied with the outcome.  I'll have to try your way....

Great playing, great writing, smoking hot vox - The bee's knees.  Seriously!!

If I had one, this would go straight to PiePod!!

Bob

P.S. - You've totally nailed the Trower meets SRV vibe!
You've only got 12 notes and however you mix them up is your thing. - Edward Van Halen

Ferryman

Sounds pretty good to me, really great vox as well, really great voice you got there! Great rocker, great use of a day off. Some really powerful guitar licks there, great stuff all round.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

This is hot. Damn hot. That wah lead is blistering. I really like your vocals... they remind me of Free / Paul Rodgers a bit, which is no bad thing! You're a real rock powerhouse, and you sure know how to mix a track. I absolutely love this. Hard, driving, classic rock.

launched

Uh oh, Greg Brady's coming out and I can't hold him back...

Groooovy, Man!! :D :D

I love how you listed the equipment lineup. I pretty much have just a guitar, bass, cord and MBR :) Very impressive playing and songwriting skills.

A hot song - had to turn the AC on after listening to this!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Rickocaster

oooh yeah!  This song cooks. Love the feel. Great voice. Dig the wah.
http://www.youtube.com/rickocaster
Come on, you know you want to go there...

lg

You sound alot like Hendrix/Trower.
I LOVE the wah guitar work!
Great vocals too by the way.
Bravo!
You should take another day off and do one more...LOL

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

guitarron

oh man this is really cool
i'm a sucker for a good wah track
reminds me a little of SRV-kudos
love the stops

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder