Need Your Honest Opinion For a Friend...........

Started by gingertilly18, July 31, 2009, 05:58:16 AM

gingertilly18

Silent Ocean
Time:
0:00
Volume:
hi guys, i have a friend who needs a confidence boost, he doesn't realise how good his music is, i think it is full of feeling but he won't play it live or anything so i got one of his songs for you to listen to,

thanks

michael.

Greeny

There a lot of improvements that could be made to the recording - I like the panning of the guitar, but there's too much echo on it for me. Now... onto the music. You can tell your friend he has a great, emotional voice. It has a lovely quality to it that people will want to hear. The song seemed quite short, but there's a huge amount of promise in there. It does need to have some kind of chorus / lift somewhere (in my opinion) to give it something extra, but all the building blocks are there in the fragile voice and delivery. This kind of song is very contemporary... very 'now'.... your friend is crazy if he hides this sort of talent away. I would shut him in a room for the afternoon with the BR-600 and see what he comes up with!

OsCKilO

He needs to hear himself more, and start enjoying his own stuff.

He probably has an opinion in his mind as to how he should sound.

No-one else has this preconception, and it only limits him (Speaking from personal battles).........

Get him to let loose!

He is very good.

Singing and playing is bloody tough! He is well on his way, if not there already!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

launched

I think your friend is very talented - Sounds just a little restrained, though, like he's trying to keep quiet in his surroundings. I agree with Greeny that the song needs some kind of change/break/chorus/lift somehow, like maybe singing an octave higher at some point(I can even picture how it would sound). That all comes through repeated recording sessions.

IMHO, the best thing your friend can do is voluntarily share his music with musical peers, such as people from this forum, myspace, etc and read the feedback. That will get the ball rolling! It's all about time and repetition...

I wish your friend all the best,

Mark

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Ted

I really like the intimate feeling he gets.

Tell that weenie to step up to the open mic.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Facemask93

Hey GT , tell your mate he has got a very good voice with a lot of potential , as Greeny said , it's a very now sound , dont wait till its too late to enjoy it , sing sing sing

Facemask93

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Rickocaster

I agree with all the other comments. He has a good voice and a good touch with his guitar. The simplicity and sincerity of this song is very compelling. Now he just needs to take it somewhere, like build into a chorus.  The tone of his guitar and voice are good, and well in tune. He just need to pan both to the center if there are no other instruments. Think of it as imitating what you would hear if he was sitting on a stool in a club.

I agree with Ted. Tell him to step up!  Carpe diem!
http://www.youtube.com/rickocaster
Come on, you know you want to go there...

guitarron

Quote from: osckilo on July 31, 2009, 06:44:31 AMHe needs to hear himself more, and start enjoying his own stuff.

No-one else has this preconception, and it only limits him (Speaking from personal battles).........

very profound and very true-been there myself (still sometimes)
it's a nice song-could use the full band treatment
when he's done performing this song his reward will be all the chicks that really dug it

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

Quote from: osckilo on July 31, 2009, 06:44:31 AMHe needs to hear himself more, and start enjoying his own stuff.

very profound and very true-been there myself (still sometimes)
it's a nice song-could use the full band treatment
when he's done performing this song his reward will be all the chicks that really dug it

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

i dont know why this posted twice-the site froze up during first attempt to post

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand