Can you pass the "All Stars "Test?

Started by The Reverend 48, July 30, 2009, 03:48:53 AM

SteveG

Really mate, no theory  ;D
The dots show you where to put your fingers
The key in any blues is the first chord
That's all you need to know.....

StevieM

Bosko, stop talking about it, just bloody go for it! If it sounds right-- it's right, if it don't---it's not. Simple!!
You'll probably wipe the floor with all of us  ;)
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: SteveG on July 31, 2009, 04:57:46 PMReally mate, no theory  ;D
The dots show you where to put your fingers
The key in any blues is the first chord
That's all you need to know.....

I got that!

Ah, the first chord makes the key!  That's what I suspected, but had no idea if that was true.  Is this only in blues?

What the hell is music theory if a pentatonic scale has nothing to do with theory?
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: StevieM on July 31, 2009, 05:07:25 PMBosko, stop talking about it, just bloody go for it! If it sounds right-- it's right, if it don't---it's not. Simple!!

Yeah, that's why I'm self-taught.  I don't care why something sounds good, I just care that it sounds good! ;D

Quote from: StevieM on July 31, 2009, 05:07:25 PMYou'll probably wipe the floor with all of us  ;)

Hilarious, sir.  Quite hilarious. :D :D :D

SteveG

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 31, 2009, 05:14:01 PMI got that!

Ah, the first chord makes the key!  That's what I suspected, but had no idea if that was true.  Is this only in blues?

What the hell is music theory if a pentatonic scale has nothing to do with theory?

Don't get me wrong, theory will allow you to derive the minor pentatonic scale from the minor scale, there is a lot to it, but you don't NEED to know any of that to play blues, just memorise the scale patterns and then mess around with them, if is sounds cool, do it again. If not, try something else. Easy as that. No note in the pattern will sound "out", though they sound different depending where you play them, its all down to your ear. Just go for it and listen :)

As for first chord being the key, it is almost always that way in the blues, ignoring any intro, and often works for other styles too .. but not always. Ask a group of musos what key Sweet Home Alabama is in......

Bluesberry

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 31, 2009, 05:15:56 PM
Quote from: StevieM on July 31, 2009, 05:07:25 PMBosko, stop talking about it, just bloody go for it! If it sounds right-- it's right, if it don't---it's not. Simple!!

Yeah, that's why I'm self-taught.  I don't care why something sounds good, I just care that it sounds good! ;D

Quote from: StevieM on July 31, 2009, 05:07:25 PMYou'll probably wipe the floor with all of us  ;)

Hilarious, sir.  Quite hilarious. :D :D :D
Have at it good sir Boscko.  With your uncanny rhythmic talents, your perfect timing (I am not being facetious here, I really mean it, you got the stuff man), just take those 7 notes that Mike has laid down as the challenge, and go man go. I bet it would sound really good.  Lets hear it Boscko.  I have played around with this tonight and it is tricky not to stray from this little box, damn tricky.  Great exercise Mike.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tony W

Bosko, This proves a point more so than anything I've ever seen. I want to know the who what where when and why. I study theory probably more than I play. I also struggle to make anything sound right, while you blow me away with every single piece that you post.

I'm going to quit thinking about it and just friggin do it!

SteveG good posts, I picked up on a few things that I didn't put together previously.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Tony W on August 01, 2009, 12:15:10 PMBosko, This proves a point more so than anything I've ever seen. I want to know the who what where when and why. I study theory probably more than I play. I also struggle to make anything sound right, while you blow me away with every single piece that you post.

I'm going to quit thinking about it and just friggin do it!

SteveG good posts, I picked up on a few things that I didn't put together previously.

Wow, thanks, TonyW!!! ;D

Let me clarify that I actually wouldn't mind knowing the why, it's just that I'm too lazy to put in the time to find out. ;D  I'm just a self-taught/play-by-ear kind of musician and I guess I'm comfortable with that.  At the same time, I sometimes get jealous of those who are schooled, read music, and know a lot about theory.  One day maybe I will learn some of this stuff.  A lot of it I probably already sort of know, but it would be cool to learn it "officially."

SteveG

That's the way it goes. I never set out to learn any theory, self taught play by ear same as you, but it sort of seeps in after a while then suddenly you go "Oh yeah  ...  I see" and it makes sense. Does help too.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me could start a theory workshop?

The Reverend 48

Well I have been out for 24 hours and I see this has turned into a healthy discussion... ;D
I would like to clarify what I am trying to do ???
I started playing the guitar seriously about 2 and a half years ago and had to decide what I wanted to learn it took me about 5 seconds to come to the conclusion that I wanted to learn Blues Soloing so I went thro all the normal stuff of trying to learn patterns scales theory etc and because I only ever wanted to play for my own amusement...I spent nearly a year going thro lots of lesson styles and learning famous licks and I was getting nowhere I didn't want to spend ages learning a "cover" only to forget it...Then the penny dropped when I found a blues backer in A and I knew the Am Blues scale started playing and it instantly felt good...so good I am still doing it!
It encouraged me to learn all sorts of things because I now had the confidence to play......

I am in no way professing to be a proper guitar Teacher (whatever that means) all I am trying to do is share the method that helped me learn and give players a different way of learning that is fun all the way!

So I use very little Tab or theory just enough to hopefully make sense
For instance there are a lot of players that have heard the term "Pentatonic scale" or even some who play it and don't realise that its only 5 notes and those + the blue note form the basis of all that great blues music........
That's really the only theory you need......To Improvise the Blues.
the rest is all about the why's and how's.....

In the end its all down to what you want and need on your musical journey
I would rather play than learn theory and if I improve that's great and if I absorb theory on the way that's cool too!

My challenge and that of the course, is exploring those 6 notes and the million ways of phrasing and expressing them.........
And that challenge fires me up every day....... 8) :D

SteveG thanks for explaining the little lick box I realise it make be a little confusing taken out of context.

Boscko if you can find a little time each day sign up and you never know it might be enjoyable.......... ;)