Can you pass the "All Stars "Test?

Started by The Reverend 48, July 30, 2009, 03:48:53 AM

64Guitars

Quote from: Tony W on July 31, 2009, 10:38:28 AMI don't get tab. I'm pissed that the strings are numbered from small to large. Everything I read is upside down and backwards. I have musical dyslexia.

I get confused by the terms people use to distinguish the two E strings (upper/lower, top/bottom, high/low). Are we talking about pitch or proximity to the floor? Is the "low/bottom" E string the skinny one that's closest to the floor (ie; lower in the vertical dimension) or the fat one that's lower in pitch?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

cuthbert

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 31, 2009, 02:27:48 PMI get confused by the terms people use to distinguish the two E strings (upper/lower, top/bottom, high/low). Are we talking about pitch or proximity to the floor? Is the "low/bottom" E string the skinny one that's closest to the floor (ie; lower in the vertical dimension) or the fat one that's lower in pitch?

I always think of pitch, so top or high E is what I also refer to as the first string. ;)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on July 31, 2009, 02:33:50 PMI always think of pitch, so top or high E is what I also refer to as the first string. ;)

Ah! Okay, I've got it now. The top string is the one at the bottom.  ;)

I can accept the string numbers more easily (1st string being the skinny E and 6th string being the fat E) because all of the string manufacturers seem to agree on that. Their string packages usually list the six string numbers and their corresponding gauges and the skinniest string is always string #1. But this top/bottom, high/low stuff is too easily misinterpreted.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

cuthbert

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 31, 2009, 03:00:08 PMAh! Okay, I've got it now. The top string is the one at the bottom.  ;)

And if you were playing the guitar lying down on a bed as I frequently do, then top string would indeed be top string.  :D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

StevieM

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 31, 2009, 03:00:08 PM
Quote from: cuthbert on July 31, 2009, 02:33:50 PMI always think of pitch, so top or high E is what I also refer to as the first string. ;)

Ah! Okay, I've got it now. The top string is the one at the bottom. 

Unless, of course, you play like Hendrix, a right hand guitar lefthanded, so the bottom is the top and the top is the bottom.
And while we're at it, why are they called left and right handed? You play with both hands, so who first said which was which?  Maybe most of us actually play left handed????? ;D
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Tony W on July 31, 2009, 01:42:19 PMBlack dots are ROOT notes, Reds are good for bending, I didn't look but blue dots are good for double stops.

Phrases should typically end on root notes or the phrase doesn't sound complete.

If the first circle is on the 5th fret, the Key is A (minor) hence the black circles are the rest of the A's in the scale.

English, please? ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

StevieM

You can only use those 7 notes, forget the colours!!! It's up to you if they sound right, or not!
Good luck!! (  and yep, it's a blues backer ;D)
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: StevieM on July 31, 2009, 03:28:15 PMYou can only use those 7 notes, forget the colours!!! It's up to you if they sound right, or not!
Good luck!! (  and yep, it's a blues backer ;D)

Thanks, Stevie, for clearing that up!

SteveG

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 31, 2009, 01:06:18 PMYou have a backer (I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark that it's a blues backer ;)), and the challenge is to play a solo using only those notes on the fretboard in which there are dots present?  Is that correct?  What is the significance of the different colors on some of the dots?  Most are white, but one is red and one is black.  Are these frets the 5th through 7th frets on the guitar?

Sorry, I know almost ZERO about music theory.  I'm really shining a spotlight on my amateurish ways with this humiliating post ...  :(

48's course has very little to do with theory, nor does that fretboard map....it shows part of the Am pentatonic scale. The black note is an A, which is the root note, as the chord progression is in the key of A. The red one is a D.
The progression is a 12 bar, I, IV V .... in this case A, D, E. You dont need to know what that means, just hear the changes and follow them, it is called playing over the changes, as you stay on the same scale pattern all the time. If you hit the A note while playing over the A chord it will sound strong, same for the D over the D chord. As mentioned, the D is good for bending a full tone up to E, the other chord.
All you have to do is play them marked notes, on the 6th and 7th frets. None of them will sound bad, but how good they sound will depend where you use them, and how, which is the point of this mose excelent exercise, impro with a limited note choice to make you work harder. Try it, it is fum :)

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 31, 2009, 02:27:48 PMI get confused by the terms people use to distinguish the two E strings (upper/lower, top/bottom, high/low). Are we talking about pitch or proximity to the floor? Is the "low/bottom" E string the skinny one that's closest to the floor (ie; lower in the vertical dimension) or the fat one that's lower in pitch?

It is always pitch ... the thickest string is lower in pitch so is the low string, in the same way up the neck is towards the body - higher pitch, while down the neck is towards the head- lower pitch.

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: SteveG on July 31, 2009, 04:00:27 PM48's course has very little to do with theory, nor does that fretboard map....it shows part of the Am pentatonic scale. The black note is an A, which is the root note, as the chord progression is in the key of A. The red one is a D.
The progression is a 12 bar, I, IV V .... in this case A, D, E.

Wow, if that's not theory, I'm in trouble.  I guess I knew even LESS than I thought.  WTF is a pentatonic scale?  Never mind, please don't answer that question.  I bet I don't even want to know.  But you're telling me that a pentatonic scale has nothing to do with music theory?  Baffled.  I am baffled if that is not music theory.

Also, I never understood this business of a song being in the "key" of a specific note, either.  I have no f-ing idea what key my songs are in.  Is it just about the first chord that is played in the song?  I mean, there are a ton of different chords played in most songs -- or at least three -- so how do you know which of these chords constitutes the key that it is in?  I'm absolutely clueless about this.  I know a capo takes what you're playing and makes it a higher key for obvious reasons ... that's about it.

I should try this exercise to see if someone who plays strictly by ear can do anything worth a shit.