Can you pass the "All Stars "Test?

Started by The Reverend 48, July 30, 2009, 03:48:53 AM

StevieM

Hey Steve, I have the same problem as Tony, could never work it out properly, and some of the symbols for slide and stuff? forget it!!
How about someone ;) starting a school to teach tab?? I might be able to get it if I could hear what I'm seeing is supposed to sound like. Does that make any sense at all??
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Tony W

Makes sense to me. I have some TAB for the lead to "Every Rose has its Thorn" I have not tried playing it since I took up 48 all stars. I guess now that I can Stand on my head and read it, I should be able to play it right?

I'll take a lesson or 2

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Sprocket

Quote from: SteveG on July 31, 2009, 11:15:54 AM
Quote from: Tony W on July 31, 2009, 10:38:28 AMI hate to derail, but what good is a thread without derailing it from time to time.

I don't get tab. I'm pissed that the strings are numbered from small to large. Everything I read is upside down and backwards. I have musical dyslexia.

It is not upside down, you are just thinking the wrong way. Lay the neck next to the tab, it is the same orientation. Now pick it up to play .... the low (thick) E is closest to you on both the tab and the guitar. It does make sense that way, just a matter of getting your head round it.

Similarly:
If you are a righty, as youd normally hold the guitar, lay the guitar down on your lap with the strings facing upwards...now lay your book on top of it...thats it. Bottom line of the tab is the "low E" top line is the "high e".
I used to take a pen and fatten up part of that bottom line on my tab paper as a reminder til it became common for me.

Also, many tab books feature a key at the front or back of the book, just make a xerox copy of it and post it up next to where you study...my walls are plastered with cheat sheets likes this ...and the circle of fifths and pentatonics and chords and...

Tony W

Circle of fifths looks like a Satanic ritual to me. I'd be scared to practice with that on the wall.

If I actually read how silly my posts were today, I'd think I was going on vacation or something..... wait... I'm going on VACATION!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Sprocket

Quote from: Tony W on July 31, 2009, 12:37:43 PMCircle of fifths looks like a Satanic ritual to me. I'd be scared to practice with that on the wall.

It certainly makes finding the relative minor or major easy to find, makes I, IV, V easy to find too...if its there and you look at it often it will make sense in a short period of time.
I dare you to print this out:

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Greeny on July 31, 2009, 09:12:36 AMme no understand the tab chart or what's required, lol

I'd better stick to my amateur twiddling... !

Much like my fellow self-taught friend, Tim, I am in the dark on this, 48.  Let me see if I can understand ...

You have a backer (I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark that it's a blues backer ;)), and the challenge is to play a solo using only those notes on the fretboard in which there are dots present?  Is that correct?  What is the significance of the different colors on some of the dots?  Most are white, but one is red and one is black.  Are these frets the 5th through 7th frets on the guitar?

Sorry, I know almost ZERO about music theory.  I'm really shining a spotlight on my amateurish ways with this humiliating post ...  :(
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Tony W

Black dots are ROOT notes, Reds are good for bending, I didn't look but blue dots are good for double stops.

Phrases should typically end on root notes or the phrase doesn't sound complete.

If the first circle is on the 5th fret, the Key is A (minor) hence the black circles are the rest of the A's in the scale.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

Challenge accepted Sprocket LOL I'm doing finger alphanumeric math to verify the validity of this insanity.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

StevieM

Right,I'm out of this conversation, I have enough trouble working out which number fret I'm on, let alone anything else :(
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Tony W

Quote from: StevieM on July 31, 2009, 12:18:23 PM
Quote from: Tony W on July 31, 2009, 10:38:28 AMBy the way, thanks StevieM, I was taking comfort in the fact that I was the least polished musician. Now that is gone.... ;D The only thing that stands true now is: I'm the least polished musician LOL
Whoops, sorry Tony, it was meant to make you feel better--not worse :-[.
If, as you say, the guitar doesn't come naturally to you------you're doing pretty damn good!! Keep at it ;)
This one almost slid past me. those silly last posts on the page, then start another..... Believe me, the only person who can make me feel bad is me. I'm having a blast.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR