Can you pass the "All Stars "Test?

Started by The Reverend 48, July 30, 2009, 03:48:53 AM

SteveG

Cheers guys, and I do need the practice  ::)

To all my fellow students, I have been doing this for a hell of a long time, but have not progressed in almost as long! What you hear here I was doing years back, I should be way better by now. If you put the hours in, and work through the lessons thoroughly you will be better than me in a matter of months. Hopefully so will I  ;D

Play every day, even if for a short time, rather than one marathon weekly session. That's what I tell my students, and it is about time I started doing the same myself.

Bluesberry

Quote from: SteveG on July 31, 2009, 08:59:14 AMPlay every day, even if for a short time, rather than one marathon weekly session. That's what I tell my students, and it is about time I started doing the same myself.
Amen to that Steve.  Play everyday, that is what it is all about, even if only 5-10 minutes, play everyday.  Cheers and keep up the good work guys/gals.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

me no understand the tab chart or what's required, lol

I'd better stick to my amateur twiddling... !

Tony W

I like the marathon approach. I practice at least 2 hours a day 7 days a week.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

StevieM

Quote from: Tony W on July 31, 2009, 07:19:54 AMStevieM
I force myself to not listen to any other student. I've not listened to you guys since the jazzy post. I know that I'm the worst musician in the class, and possibly the only beginner as well. I got a little wrapped up trying to sound as good as everyone else, that I forgot to practice the basics until I had a solid foundation.

I'm prone to frustration as this instrument does not come naturally to me, so I look up the first completed lesson that I turn in to Mike. I turned in my first lesson on June 22, 2009. It marks the first day I could play a scale. When I put things back into perspective, I'm ready to move forward with a positive attitude.

Unfortunately I promised myself not to listen to the rest of the students until I'm ready.

SteveG, You have a great sense of humor!

Hey Tony, I wasn't even sure what a scale was properly 'till I started this. Had a guitar for a looooooong time, only fiddled about with it from time to time, got absolutely nowhere.
I try not to listen to the others first either, but afterwards------I try to nick, er, get inspiration from, their ideas ;D

Quote from: Greeny on July 31, 2009, 09:12:36 AMme no understand the tab chart or what's required, lol

I'd better stick to my amateur twiddling... !

No Tabs, Tim!!! Just as well, I can't follow those either ;D
Amateur??You????????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA--------HAHAHAHAHA-------HAHAHA
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Tony W

I hate to derail, but what good is a thread without derailing it from time to time.

I don't get tab. I'm pissed that the strings are numbered from small to large. Everything I read is upside down and backwards. I have musical dyslexia.

By the way, thanks StevieM, I was taking comfort in the fact that I was the least polished musician. Now that is gone.... ;D The only thing that stands true now is: I'm the least polished musician LOL

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Wiley

SteveG

Quote from: Tony W on July 31, 2009, 10:38:28 AMI hate to derail, but what good is a thread without derailing it from time to time.

I don't get tab. I'm pissed that the strings are numbered from small to large. Everything I read is upside down and backwards. I have musical dyslexia.

It is not upside down, you are just thinking the wrong way. Lay the neck next to the tab, it is the same orientation. Now pick it up to play .... the low (thick) E is closest to you on both the tab and the guitar. It does make sense that way, just a matter of getting your head round it.

Tony W

Quote from: SteveG on July 31, 2009, 11:15:54 AM
Quote from: Tony W on July 31, 2009, 10:38:28 AMI hate to derail, but what good is a thread without derailing it from time to time.

It is not upside down, you are just thinking the wrong way. Lay the neck next to the tab, it is the same orientation. Now pick it up to play .... the low (thick) E is closest to you on both the tab and the guitar. It does make sense that way, just a matter of getting your head round it.

I can't even flip my underwear inside out and get them on right, and you think I can wrap my head around tab? You have way too much faith ;D

I will give that a shot though. The first dozen times I tried playing tab, not realizing the orientation..... what a horrible experience.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

StevieM

Quote from: Tony W on July 31, 2009, 10:38:28 AMBy the way, thanks StevieM, I was taking comfort in the fact that I was the least polished musician. Now that is gone.... ;D The only thing that stands true now is: I'm the least polished musician LOL
Whoops, sorry Tony, it was meant to make you feel better--not worse :-[.
If, as you say, the guitar doesn't come naturally to you------you're doing pretty damn good!! Keep at it ;)
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!