Can you pass the "All Stars "Test?

Started by The Reverend 48, July 30, 2009, 03:48:53 AM

Justin_Case

Quote from: Tony W on August 12, 2009, 06:55:38 AMI don't know if you guys have noticed, but I don't have a post in the all-star test yet. Reason being... TIMING. It is the bane of my existence right now. I'm frustrated beyond belief.

Just a couple of possible things to help that worked for me

Try adjusting your guitar's input volume to be just at, or very slightly over the backer's volume.  This should allow you to "feel" the grove better and get you with the track, not recording "over it". 

I also found either closing my eyes or looking away from my left hand allowed me to focus on the music and not the notes.

SteveG

Quote from: Tony W on August 12, 2009, 06:55:38 AMI don't know if you guys have noticed, but I don't have a post in the all-star test yet. Reason being... TIMING. It is the bane of my existence right now. I'm frustrated beyond belief.

Tap your foot, or move part of your body in time with the music, click your teeth, whatever. Point being get into the rhythm. All the classical trained guys (if any) will flame me for that......

Just get into the groove man, timing will come!

Geir

Don't think about it, I'm listening to your all-star blues now, and you've got what it takes to pull this one off too!!! And Justin's and Steve's advice is good advice!! Now get that foot tapping and hit record ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Tony W

Thanks for the advice Steve, Gier, and Justin.

With the bad comes the good. While I'm painfully stuck with timing issues, I have been developing some really decent expression techniques. I consider that a decent trade off. I used to get frustrated with this kind of thing, but now I don't see this as a plateau, I see myself progressing in a different direction.

I've really tried foot tapping, head bobbing, etc, and wind up with the same results as to when I try to sing. My hands stop moving when another body part engages. I often feel like a freak of nature.

I'm about to start playing while riding an exercise bike. If I don't get timing down, at least I can get my weight down ;D

Mike has narrowed my timing issues down to me following the Bass or the Melody sometimes both at the same time, I'm not following the drums. I have hearing loss, and really struggle to hear the drums. I did try turning the input down to where I can barely hear the guitar. I'll keep at it. Sooner or later I'll find what works.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Justin_Case

Tony W

dude, that is brilliant! I would have never thought to research something like this. I have a feeling a trip to Guitar Center is coming up soon. I'm going to do an onslaught of research on it.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Bluesberry on August 11, 2009, 06:14:00 PMNo cheating from me Boscko, I just laid my fingers down and played  :D.  It was one take, no double tracking or punching in, hit record and go.

That's 'cuz you're just that badass, BB.  You're untouchable! ;D

PS: I don't even know what the shit a "double stop" is ...
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Tony W

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

I didn't know what a "double stop" was either.   ???

I just looked it up. Turns out I've been playing them for years.  :D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase