So, what's so great about a Telecaster anyway

Started by Bluesberry, July 29, 2009, 05:14:44 PM

Bluesberry

Quote from: psychmusic on August 03, 2009, 03:05:03 PMI have an American Delux "V" Neck Stratocaster in 2-color burst. I love it. However, I too have GAS for a telecaster. I love the twang. I think that when most of us were younger the strat was The Guitar. Jimi, Eric, Steve, Beck, etc all used the strat. It was good enough for them, it was good enough for me. The strat is versitile just like the telecaster. However, they are apples and oranges. I have an apple and now I want an orange.
Thats it, I just went through that argument in my mind, and lucky for me I pulled the trigger and got a Tele.  It is not so much the "twang" but it is hotter that a strat, but with full note definition like a strat,  It seems to be a perfect bridge between a strat and Les Paul.  The tone had more lows and highs than a strat and more bite, but crystal clear (no mids muddyness of a LP).  I am also digging how simple it is, no wammy bar, only 2 PUs, two knob, less frigging around to get great tone, its all in your fingers.  It is so expressive with pick attack, changing PUs, volume knob.  It is the most expressive guitar I have ever played, I am amazed.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Davo

BB thats exactly why I want one!  You just stated it perfectly.

I find myself using the strat bridge pup, but wish it had a bit more mids and lows.  Its twangey-but Im wondering if a "plate" under the pup will help or if I should just get a tele.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Bluesberry

Quote from: Davo on August 03, 2009, 08:42:09 PMBB thats exactly why I want one!  You just stated it perfectly.

I find myself using the strat bridge pup, but wish it had a bit more mids and lows.  Its twangey-but Im wondering if a "plate" under the pup will help or if I should just get a tele.
Well Davo, all I can say (based on my experience) is to go to your local music store, take a 2009 American Standard Tele off the wall (every music store around has at least one of these hanging on the wall), plug her into a nice Fender Tube amp (I used Blues JR) and you will hear it right away.  So different than a strat (I love my strat, but this Tele is so different in a really great way).  Take the 2009 Am Std Tele test.  Now there are other models of Teles that may suit your fancy better, for my money, I think these new (2008 and later) Am Std Teles are a new classic that will be around forever.  It seems perfect to me in everyway (bridge, neck, hardware, tuners, frets, PUs, all stock and all perfect).  A Tele is probably not for everybody, but for me I am very happy I found out that I love them, and I found a perfect one just hanging on the wall at the store that day last week.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand