So, what's so great about a Telecaster anyway

Started by Bluesberry, July 29, 2009, 05:14:44 PM

Ferryman

I think for me one of the things about the Tele is that it is not a Strat or Les Paul. Those have sounds which are instantly recognisable and work very well for certain types of music. Yes, the Tele is all about sharp, clear ringing tones but also it is more of a "blank canvas", in that you can impose your own style on it a bit more.

Also, for me, the Tele is more of a punk guitar IMO and I am really nothing but an aging punk.

BTW, for me this is what the Tele is all about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rViBFgjChH0

Wilco Johnson's guitar sound is so sharp it could cut through anythng!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Davo

They say Leo had bad hearing...the high end was lost to him.  Hence the trebly sound we associate with Fender.

I used to live on Fender street in Fullerton with my ex! :)  Shes now a librarian at Cal state Fullerton!
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ferryman

Quote from: Davo on July 30, 2009, 03:14:26 AMThey say Leo had bad hearing...the high end was lost to him.  Hence the trebly sound we associate with Fender.

Perhaps that's why I like the Tele! I also have bad hearing. The one thing that Leo Fender and I have in common...

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Blooby

Quote from: Greeny on July 30, 2009, 02:31:35 AMI'm not ashamed to say that I love my Fender Telecaster.

I feel like I should try to be supportive at this point, sort of like you're standing up and speaking during group therapy.

Blooby

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Blooby on July 30, 2009, 04:12:14 AM
Quote from: Greeny on July 30, 2009, 02:31:35 AMI'm not ashamed to say that I love my Fender Telecaster.

I feel like I should try to be supportive at this point, sort of like you're standing up and speaking during group therapy.

Blooby

My name is Tim Green and I'm a..........
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ferryman

Quote from: Greeny on July 30, 2009, 02:31:35 AMI’m not ashamed to say that I love my Fender Telecaster.

I wondered what the "f" holes were for on certain models......

Seriously nerdy post but I actually learned a lot.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Quote from: 48 on July 30, 2009, 03:02:28 AM
Quote from: Greeny on July 30, 2009, 02:46:01 AMOf course, the ideal scenario (in my opinion!) is to own:

A Telecaster
A Les Paul
An ES-335
A Stratocaster

Those cover all the bases I think, lol

How dare you forget p90s  ;D

My Les Paul '56 Gold Top has P-90's !!!!!! lol

Sprocket

Quote from: Bluesberry on July 29, 2009, 05:14:44 PMI may end up getting a Squire CV Tele, they are getting real good reviews and less than half the price of a new Am standard. 

Im on my second Telecaster, my first was a Squier Standard, it was a great value and my first new guitar since my teens. I eventually gave that guitar to a cousin whos interested in learning the guitar and was playing on a toy til that point.

I read all of the glowing reviews of the CV Tele, on a daily basis, and the features alone had me sold...but the reviews made it impossible to fight the GAS pains. I received a discount coupon from Musicianfriend and decided this was my opportunity, it arrived promptly, but it didnt take me very long(less than a 1/2 hour) to find multiple issues with the frets, nut, and body...returned it, waited 2 weeks and received my 2nd, again minutes later, similar issues, sent it back for a refund. I know its not common to read negative reports on the CV series, but I got two bad ones in a row...I reckon Im just lucky like that.
At this point I began to pursue a Baja or 50s - 60s Classic series but couldnt find a local dealer with any instock.
Cruising Craigslist I happened acrossed a HWY1 for $500 and jumped on it!
Nitro finish, ashtray bridge and mine also came in a tweed case!
I made a few mods, and now shes mine.
I still prefer the comfort of a Strat(I own 3 and building a 4th) but Ive got to have a Tele in the collection.
Itll do blues, metal, classic rock, ZEPPELIN, country and even punk...I cant think of a genre that doesnt have a Tele player.
Cuts through the mix better than any other guitar too!
Responds very well to high gain, boost and overdrive...or just clean.

This is mine:
I converted the tuners to the Klusson style

And I converted the pickguard to aid in the neck pickup adjustment...I highly recommend this route over the body mounted pup adjuster screw mount type.(where you have to remove the pickgaurd to make adjustments)

Oh yeah, and I added compensated saddles!

Cant wait to see the pics of your new Tele  ;)

Bluesberry

Quote from: Davo on July 29, 2009, 11:39:01 PMIts the archeypal songwriters electric.  I dunno its equal parts cool, old fashioned, nerdy, and intellegent.
Now that just sealed the deal for me Davo, I like to think of myself as a developing songwriter, before I joined this forum I saw myself as a blues guitar noodler and that is why I needed the Les Paul and strat, but since starting to write songs of my own and getting such a buzz from that activity, I like to see myself now as a songwriter that can play guitar (thanks to all the great encouragement from the great folks on this forum on my original songs), so to say something like you just said Davo, that it is the archeypal (how do you spell that one anyway?) songwriters guitar, well that just did it for me.  I need one of these now in a real bad way!  What a great supportive form we have here, you guys didn't try to talk me out of this major purchase, just the opposite, you all pushed me right over the edge!!!!  It was just a randon thought last night, today after reading all of this it is a raging inferno of G.A.S.  What a great bunch you all are.  I'll post a pic when I get one!  Off to the music store this afternoon!!!!!!!

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Thanks Sprocket for the heads up on the squire CV Teles.  I think I want a real American Standard Tele, just like my strat that I love so much.  These new Am Standard series are very good guitars that will last a lifetime.  Lets see what they have down at the store.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand