So, what's so great about a Telecaster anyway

Started by Bluesberry, July 29, 2009, 05:14:44 PM

Bluesberry

Lately I have been hankering after buying a Telecaster.  I own a Strat, Les Paul and Epi Sheraton, so why the hell do I need a Tele?  I don't really understand the whole Tele mindset.  What is it about Teles that make them so special to the folks who love them.  I may end up getting a Squire CV Tele, they are getting real good reviews and less than half the price of a new Am standard.  So what is it Tele players out there, do I need one, do I want one, what will I expect to get from one.  So many questions, so much G.A.S., so little time to play at the best of times, HELP...

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveG

Yeah.I want one too, and I don't know why??????

Pine

BB, all i can say is, i'd never sell mine. I haven't had alot of others...i have a Schecter C1+ and that's my only other electric. Bought it 'cause it had an all mahogany body and good humbuckers and got great reviews. It's gorgeous and plays well, but i always end up playing the Tele. I think LP owners feel the same way. My Tele plays like a dream and has just always seemed to be there for me in my "hour of need"..lol..not a very technical explanation. They're kinda like the Harleys of guitars. With the patches available on our 1200's though, you can get anything to sound like anything almost. If you do buy one, i would buy an authentic amercan made one and consider it an investment and not a purchase. With the rising unemployment, ebay should be full of them as soon as everybody'd unemployment insurance runs out...

my 2 pennies
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Blooby

There is a clarity to Teles without the midrange of a Les Paul and without the quack of a Strat.  I have some nice guitars, and I am almost exclusively playing my $135.00 used Telecaster.

You'd be surprised how many tones you can get out of the thing as well.

My next guitar will either be a Tele upgrade or (ironically) an Epiphone Sheraton II.  Perhaps you could enlighten me.

Blooby

SteveG

A Tele is like a Harley? I see it more of a Honda, one of the old 70's no frills ones. Basic, reliable, with clean solid lines and good predictable performance.

Bosko Schwartz

Well, this would be reason #1, I think:

Just look at that beaut!

Reason #2: they play like a dream and are probably the most versatile guitars in the world, next to their Strat cousins.

If I had the money, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but I invested in this Rickenbacker last year and can't buy another guitar for a good while (if I want to stay married). :-\

www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Blooby on July 29, 2009, 05:43:20 PMI have some nice guitars, and I am almost exclusively playing my $135.00 used Telecaster.

Can you tell us all where to find these alleged $135.00 Telecasters? ???

Bluesberry

This is what I am talking about, this is the Tele tone that I am craving, a strat or Les Paul just doesn't touch tone like this (of course who the hell can play like this?)

CLICK HERE FOR TELE TONE TO DIE FOR

Just listen to that sharp, biting, yet full tone!

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveG

Quote from: Bluesberry on July 29, 2009, 06:03:31 PMThis is what I am talking about, this is the Tele tone that I am craving, a strat or Les Paul just doesn't touch tone like this (of course who the hell can play like this?)

Yeah, but Joe could play my old Woolworths Kay plank and make it sound like a custom shop job ... grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Bluesberry on July 29, 2009, 06:03:31 PMThis is what I am talking about, this is the Tele tone that I am craving, a strat or Les Paul just doesn't touch tone like this (of course who the hell can play like this?)

I think you just answered your own question, BB. :D