why one shoe???

Started by StevieM, July 28, 2009, 08:11:04 AM

StevieM

Just back from another 600 ish mile round trip, can anyone answer this?:-
Why are there so many odd shoes ( usually white trainers) by the side of the road? ??? There's only ever ONE!!!
They're on country lanes, town roads, motorways, everywhere.

How did they get there? Why are they there?? Why only one???
I wonder, if they could all be collected, would there ever be a pair?

Is this only a UK thing, or is it worldwide?

And ORH----If this gives you an idea for a song----I'm already working on it ;D
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Greeny

I've often wondered that too! Why would someone just throw one shoe away? Why why why? The mind boggles with possibilities of conspiracy, shady goverment departments, alien activity... perhaps they ARE aliens in disguise, lol.

I used a pic of one of these 'orphan' shoes as my soundclick icon for the song 'Lost Property'. There's a whole Flickr group with photos of them... !!!!!

http://www.flickr.com/groups/28411947@N00/pool/

guitarron

its a mystery -like the missing sock out of the dryer

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StevieM

Socks is easy to explain------ it's the sock muncher!!!! It goes around with the Pencil Nibbler and the Verrucca fairy. The expert Terry Pratchet knows all about them, and goes into great detail in his treatise in The Hogfather ;D.

Shoes---- Maybe they start off as pairs, but there's a one legged man going round the country collecting them----but only one?!
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Sprocket

Why only one shoe on the side of the road?
Its simple!
If there were two shoes, the laces would be tied together and then thrown over powerlines...to hang there for eternity.

SdC

recorder
Boss BR-600

StevieM

Nope, definitely shoes!! Dogs are a different shape :D

Ferryman

It's the doctors. Let me explain. Many years ago, my girlfriend and I were walking late one evening in the West End of London when we saw a couple of middle aged men sprawling around in the gutter. One was extremely drunk and had only one shoe on. The other was attempting to help him up, presumably to get him home. As we passed them, we heard the more sober one say to the drunk one "Come on doctor, let's get you home". Ever since that day, whenever we see a single shoe anywhere we always say "Damned doctors".

Case closed methinks.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Davo

Ha good question.  Sounds like song material to me.  Also where do those missing socks go?
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Migs

Quote from: StevieM on July 28, 2009, 08:11:04 AMThere's only ever ONE!!!
... Why only one???

Quote from: Greeny on July 28, 2009, 08:19:58 AMI've often wondered that too! Why would someone just throw one shoe away?

You aren't going to throw both away if you have a pair in your car on the road trip.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !