micro br vs pocket pod ?

Started by k1221n, July 27, 2009, 05:49:17 PM

What I want is a portable effects processor, can anyone tell me how the effects on the micro br compare to the pocket pod ?

Ted

Quote from: k1221n on July 27, 2009, 05:49:17 PMWhat I want is a portable effects processor, can anyone tell me how the effects on the micro br compare to the pocket pod ?

I can't tell you how they compare, but here's how I answered a not-exactly-similar question recently:

Quote from: Ted on July 22, 2009, 12:40:35 AMI'm not even sure that a Micro BR is a great choice for an effects processor--if that's all you need, and you don't also need the 4-track recording capabilities. As an effects processor, it is not all that easy to use.  You would end up learning and appreciating it's effects capabilities in the context of recording, bouncing, and mixing.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Blooby

I hesitate to comment as they are entirely different beasts.

If you're looking for a small recorder, I can't say enough about the BR.  Many of the guitar tones are great, from clean to pretty dirty.  There's a good tremolo sound as well.  I find all the other effects to be pretty good, but for some reason, I find the reverb to be testy.  People get great results on this site with it, but I always seem to be struggling to get a decent long reverb sound with the BR.  All sorts of tone examples can be found in this thread: https://songcrafters.org/community/micro-br-b65/0/.  Personally, I would not use the BR as an effects processor in front of an amp or other recorder.  While it can be done, it would not be user friendly or an intuitive set-up.

The Pocket Pod is a dedicated amp-modeling and effects processor.  I appreciate the fact that it also has some presets for vocals and bass.  I didn't care when I bought it, but I find I use the bass tones when recording.  I have regular live jams at the house, and rather than lug amps, the signals go through some direct boxes and then into a mixer/recorder.  The bassist is extremely happy with his tone that he gets.  The guitar tones are derived from the second generation Pods and Flextone II amps.  What can I say?  If you're into modeling, there are some pretty good sounding models in there.  I generally use something else for a clean Fendery sound, but that may be more a commentary on using what I'm comfortable with as opposed to delving deeper into the Pod.

Models include a clean tube preamp, Roland JC-120, two types of Fender Deluxe Reverbs, Fender Bassman, Marshall JTM-45, Blackface Fender Reverb, Fender Twin Reverb, Dumble Overdrive Special (one of my favs), Buddha Twinmaster, Mesa Boogie Mark II-C+, Vox AC-30, Vox AC-15, Marshall Plexi, Marshall JCM 800, Matchless Chieftain, Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, Soldano X88R, and a Soldano SLO.  It also has a Fuzzface emulation for kicks.  There is a certain warmth in many models I find lacking in other processors (and I've been through a few.  My personal favorite is the Johnson J-Station, a great desktop modeler.  It was discontinued, but used ones pop up on Ebay all the time).

As for effects, there is no super deep editing, but you can adjust levels, rates, delay times, etc.  Effects are good, and all the usual suspects are represented.  It also has a noise gate and swell effect.  I must say it's got the best Leslie effect of any of the smaller processors.  It's not perfect but damn good.  Sound example of rotary effect and another tone here: https://songcrafters.org/community/micro-br-b65/%27float%27/0/

The short answer is that if you don't have a recorder, get the BR.  If you truly only wish to use it as a effects processor, go for the Pod (or something else).  However, if you are playing live, I would go with something that would allow you to switch presets easier.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Blooby

Bluesberry

Blooby said it all here, perfectly.  I have both, a microBR and a pocket pod.  If I had to keep only one it would be the microBR hands down.  The tones are pretty good on either unit, as a stand along effects box infront of amp the pocket pod is probably better sounding and easier to use, but with the microBR you get 1000x more features (and the tones are really pretty damn decent anyway, hey its a Boss product).

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Sprocket

Having read what Blooby said and being familiar with modeling amps and modeling effects...and not being a fan of them, I grew as a player on them until I found a wanton need to replace the "digital" sound with the real deal...I found what models I liked AND I bought them!
BTW Blooby, the Micro BR features 90% of those amp models...some of those like a Dumble can be faked and nobody would know the difference, as nobody really knows the sound and there are so many variations of Dumbles.(I thought it was Dimble)

I came to the MBR looking for a good rythmn trainer...and I found that in the MBR. Pod cant do that.
I was able to aquire online guitar lessons via the MBR(and this wonderful forum). Pod cant do that.
In taking the lessons I began to use the recording features. Pod has no recording features.
Ive begun recording live shows. Pod cant do that.
Im able to convert anything into MP3 and put it on my MP3 player...this comes in handy for ubber rare stuff found only on the internet, and great for learning songs you will NEVER own. Pod doesnt do MP3s. AND the MBR IS an MP3 player!
I find alot  of people just buy an effects processor and use the factory preset models...I havent heard all of the Pod models, but Im sure it has more and maybe more useable out of the box with these models. But programming the MBR for your own personal models is super easy...programming a PodAnything is a lil challenging.

Ive owned a Digitech RP250, Vox AD30, Korg Pandora and now the MicroBR. The Vox was the most difficult because it was an amp, but still very do able even though I never found a Marshall tone I liked...they all sounded fake, so I ditched it and began buying tube amps. I thought I was done with modeling, but the MBR is as user friendly as the Korg Pandora(almost the same) and damn near easier then the Digitech RP unit.
I was once asked to help a buddy program his floor PodXT? ...I studied this thing for weeks, even joined a forum, felt like I needed to do some downloads(updates)...it was frustrating, I gave up and he sold it. Ive gotta admit, Im not a Line6 fan at all...I dont even like Echopark, but everybody else eats this shit up, I dont get it...I will even go as far as to say Line6 has ruined the sound of "Rock N Roll", even Metal if thats what you wanna call it, if youre younger, maybe you appreciate that *shrug*

I firmly believe Boss's marketing of this product, its a shame more people dont take it seriously. "No guitar case should be without one!"
It true has more features than you think you will ever use...but in just a few short weeks youll grow as a player to the point youll want to be using the extra features...and then bang! Youre learning recording too!
I dunno how much this Pod costs...but save your money for the MicroBR, save the money for the MicroBR. Buy a MicroBR.
I think it is a steal at the price...Id certainly pay double for all of these features!(dont get any ideas Boss/Roland)

SteveG

What they said....

If you don't have a recorder, get the MBR, you will not regret it.

If you record to pc, the POD will do you fine, but consider the MBR anyway as it is the most useful toy any guitarist can buy.

If you just want to put it in front of an amp, get a floor pedal as neither are really suitable,

Blooby

Quote from: k1221n on July 27, 2009, 05:49:17 PMWhat I want is a portable effects processor, can anyone tell me how the effects on the micro br compare to the pocket pod ?

I'm wondering if you made a purchase.

Blooby