the top five best gigs you ever attended.

Started by Oldrottenhead, July 26, 2009, 09:31:34 AM

Ferryman

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 26, 2009, 02:34:02 PMjings forgot van der graaf generator at the abc glasgow on their reunion tour

Fair dos, I was so stuck in the past I forgot Muse at Wembley last year. Best show I have ever seen in terms of spectacle.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

QuoteFair dos, I was so stuck in the past I forgot Muse at Wembley last year. Best show I have ever seen in terms of spectacle.
i also forgot the worst gig i ever saw it was the second time i went to see judas priest at the glasgow apollo  think it was stained class tour when mr halford wore the camp biker gear. anyway he came on stage on a harley davidson  in leather gay biker boy gear and with a bullwhip and fell off the bike, at that very moment my love affair with heavy metal died.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SteveG

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 26, 2009, 02:45:48 PM
QuoteFair dos, I was so stuck in the past I forgot Muse at Wembley last year. Best show I have ever seen in terms of spectacle.
i also forgot the worst gig i ever saw it was the second time i went to see judas priest at the glasgow apollo  think it was stained class tour when mr halford wore the camp biker gear. anyway he came on stage on a harley davidson  in leather gay biker boy gear and with a bullwhip and fell off the bike, at that very moment my love affair with heavy metal died.

I saw the same tour, except he didn't fall of. Dunno why the hell we were all so shocked when he came out, all that leather.........

Ferryman

Well I was thinking about duff gigs and one of the most disappointing I ever saw was Siouxsie and the Banshees. Really surprised me because I love so much of their recorded material but live Siouxsie Sue just loped around windmilling her arms and "singing" like a, well, Banshee. Certainly missed a few notes that night.

I found Simple Minds the same. Love their early stuff but live Jim Kerr is a big girls blouse with an embarrassing stage presence. Just cringed throughout the whole gig when I saw them, only went once, never again.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

1. Fight16 2001-2003c

2. Bonjovi-have a nice day tour-Milton keans 2006

3. Lenny Kravitz- wembly arena

4. Machine head- Brixton Acadamy 2007

Thats all I've been to........  :-[

Modifiedjust remembered...

Saw Andy Mckee in London....2007 I think.... Crap with dates....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Davo

Good topic!
5. Mudhoney 1999, Galaxy theater Costa Mesa Ca.-got to shake mark arms hand, Nebula opened.

4.  Street Scene 2006 Qualcom Stadium San Deigo.  Bad Religion, Queens of the Stoneage, Social Distortion, Wolfmother and so on...It was great but Im not a fan of festivals.

3.  Backstage Coachella 2006.  I was working as medical standby for performers at this show.  I got to "observe" many awesome artists working backstage.  Portishead, Sleater Kinney, Paul oakenfold spent several minutes dialing in gear it was interesing to see.  Depeche mode blew me away.

2.  Sunny Day Real Estate Glasshouse Pomona 1999.  A great vibe there that day, band was super energized.  I was at stage left and a  quiet nervous short guy was standing there on the other side of the divider.  It was Beck!  I shook his hand and told him I was a fan-he blushed and said thanks.  Frankly he looked freaked out being around people-nobody else said a work to him.

1.  Pixies Santa Barbara Bowl 2004.  They have had a profound impact on me.  I was always the guy who listened to "wierd" music-but I loved it.  I was so down thinking Id never see them.  Then the reunion happened.  Ive never been surrounded by such a cool  vibe.  EVERYONE in that ampitheater  sang along.  It was just a warm glow-hard to really describe.  No matter what happens to me, I saw my favorite band ever, and loved it.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Oldrottenhead

QuoteLove their early stuff but live Jim Kerr is a big girls blouse with an embarrassing stage presence.
i agree , early on simple minds where a great band, when they started doing stadiums well................. last great gig they did was tiffanys before the did their first gig at the apollo they where too far away, they where a great band up close..
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

Another list.  I'll try not to cheat this time.

1982 - Queen for the sheer spectacle.

1983? - Ravi Shankar with Alla Rakha and Ali Akbar Khan for the musical interplay and overt spirituality in instrumental music.  Remember Shakti with John McLaughlin was a close second here.

2009 - Jimmy Herring with Oteil Burbridge, Jeff Sipe, Scoot Kinsey, and Greg Osby for a recent addition and thrilling musicianship.

Several times from 2000ish-2007 - Michael Hedges for the fond memories.

Several times from 1982-present - The Who - for the sheer enjoyment of sing-along rock and roll.  One of my big musical regrets is never seeing The Who with Keith Moon although admittedly, I was kid of young while he was in his prime.

Blooby

Oldrottenhead

QuoteJimmy Herring and Michael Hedges
are guys that are completely unknown to me, just googled em a nd watching vids now, am very very impressed
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Vanncad

QuoteSaxon at The Naval Club in Tonypandy, mid 70,s, they kicked ass!!
- I'd love to still go see those guys!!

My list:

1. Black Rose ( a local cover band) back in the early 80's. They played "Living after Midnight" by Judas Priest and some Aerosmith tunes. It's the reason why I am playing guitar today.

2. The Tragically Hip - Cobo Hall Detroit - Mid-90's -. It was the first concert I ever went to. They ending up releasing it as a live album called "Live Between Us". A great Canadian band and an unbelivable souvenier for me. We waited at the end of a line for a bus after the concert with about 5000 other Canadians. We slipped down a back alley to take a p*ss and a cop came along. We thought we were gonna get arrested, but instead he took us down a back street, flagged down the first bus and put us on it!

3. CSNY - Air Canada Center 2000- Toronto - Their first concert since 1974. Went with 6 buddies. They started the night with an electric version of "Carry On". It took the air right out of my lungs. They played for about 3 hours. It was an incredible. Drove 5 hours in an ice storm on the way home. Got an hour of sleep, then wrote an exam the next day. Saw them again in 2002 and 2006. Great concerts too - but never quite as good as the first time!

4. Hilary Duff - Copps Collesium about 5 years ago. Got tickets for my daughter and a friend. She only played (lip-synced) for about 45 minutes, but it was worth it to se the expression on my daughter's face. I hoped it would insprire her to get into music (see #1 above).

5. Neil Young - John Labatt Center - 2009. The dude still rocks. Played for about 3 hours and covered all his old tunes. Need I say any more?

Worst Concert - Neil Young - 2003 Toronto - "Greendale" concert. They had a play going on the side of the stage the same time Neil was playing. Totally distracted from the songs (which weren't all that inspiring either). The only saving grace was Crazy Horse coming out and blowing the roof off the place for the encore.
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover