Your first 45rpm single?

Started by hooper, July 22, 2009, 11:06:43 AM

peterp

Go even further back, did you have any 78's as a kid :)
I remember them and still have a folder of 4 of those clay things. 8-)

Can't play them on anything now though, unless we find a Victrola.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

Ted

Quote from: peterp on September 01, 2011, 07:16:31 PMGo even further back, did you have any 78's as a kid :)

My sister and I had some as kids, but we got them from our aunts.

This is the only one I still have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxMl4FxKB8M

The music is amazing. Especially the grand finale.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

SteveB

Quote from: peterp on September 01, 2011, 07:16:31 PMGo even further back, did you have any 78's as a kid...

Had quite a few 78s to play as a child, which my parents had purchased. We played them on what it the UK was called a radiogram - which honestly, apart from the missing side-handles, resembled a coffin!!
The discs themselves were pulverized in the early 1970s when my younger brother took up the Kung Fu craze. Apparently being able to smash half-a-dozen 78s in one go garnered kudos on the streets.

They were songs by what were later termed the Crooners: Frank Sinatra, Frankie Laine, Doris Day etc - though there were a few 'oddities' in there: Poppapicolino(spl?) was one, and a hilarious song entitled 'How Ashamed I was', which for the day must have been quite naughty, because it contained the line: 'She had a wooden leg, how ashamed I was (x3),...although our love was grand, I got splinters in my hand...'.
Innocent, innocent days.  8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

IanR

Quote from: SteveB on October 12, 2013, 02:07:12 PM
Quote from: peterp on September 01, 2011, 07:16:31 PMGo even further back, did you have any 78's as a kid...

Had quite a few 78s to play as a child, which my parents had purchased. We played them on what it the UK was called a radiogram - which honestly, apart from the missing side-handles, resembled a coffin!!
The discs themselves were pulverized in the early 1970s when my younger brother took up the Kung Fu craze. Apparently being able to smash half-a-dozen 78s in one go garnered kudos on the streets.

They were songs by what were later termed the Crooners: Frank Sinatra, Frankie Laine, Doris Day etc - though there were a few 'oddities' in there: Poppapicolino(spl?) was one, and a hilarious song entitled 'How Ashamed I was', which for the day must have been quite naughty, because it contained the line: 'She had a wooden leg, how ashamed I was (x3),...although our love was grand, I got splinters in my hand...'.
Innocent, innocent days.  8)

Wow Steve, I think you must have been living in my house!  I had exactly the same introduction to music.  We were very poor, so all the music I got was either on the radio or the telly but my folks had their records from the 40s and 50s and I played them on our radiogram (which I think was a Kriesler - who also made refrigerators).  You left out Dean Martin (Same old Saturday night), Sammy Davis Jr and Glenn Millar.

cheers,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One