Your first 45rpm single?

Started by hooper, July 22, 2009, 11:06:43 AM

64Guitars

Quote from: Blooby on July 24, 2009, 05:15:49 PMI think it was "We're an American Band" by Grand Funk Railroad.  I remember the yellowish vinyl you could peer through.

I have the "We're An American Band" album and it's pressed on the same translucent gold vinyl. I didn't know that they did the single like that too. Cool!

I have another album ("Cords" by Larry Fast's Synergy) that's pressed on clear vinyl. It's a bugger when you're trying to queue up a particular track. For that matter, so is the American Band album.

I also have a couple of albums that have stuff recorded in the run-out groove (the looping groove near the label). One of the Rush albums (I forget which one) has wind chimes playing in the run-out. But the coolest one is The James Gang's "Yer Album". The run-out groove on side one has Joe Walsh saying "Turn me over... Turn me over... Turn me over..." repeatedly. Then, on side two, he says "Play me again... Play me again... Play me again..." until you lift the needle off the record.  :)

Anyone else come across any records with stuff in the run-out grooves? Or any other weird pressings? I don't remember which one, but I think I have an album with three sides (side four is blank). Or maybe I just saw it somewhere.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Flash Harry

I think that the Monty Python guys did an LP with two grooves, and depending on which groove you got, you heard a different set of sketches. There again, I could have just popped in for the 5 minute argument and was setting you up....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

64Guitars

Quote from: Flash Harry on July 24, 2009, 06:13:46 PMI think that the Monty Python guys did an LP with two grooves, and depending on which groove you got, you heard a different set of sketches.

Cool! I wasn't aware of that.

Here's what Wikipedia says about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monty_Python_Matching_Tie_and_Handkerchief

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

hooper

The album 'Nazz Nazz' - Todd Rundgrens original band was pressed on red vinyl. 
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

64Guitars

Interesting. Todd Rundgren produced Grand Funk's "We're An American Band" album. I wonder if the gold vinyl was his idea?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Blooby

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 24, 2009, 07:11:16 PMInteresting. Todd Rundgren produced Grand Funk's "We're An American Band" album. I wonder if the gold vinyl was his idea?

Funny you mention that as I was thinking about Todd producing that album earlier today.  Frank Zappa also produced a Grand Funk album called Good Singin' Good Playin', and he unleashes one of my favorite guitar solos ever in a song called "Out to Get You."  It's just ridiculous.

Also in Todd news (from http://www.prlog.org/10272357-musician-todd-rundgren-says-the-live-version-of-wizard-true-star-may-be-better-than-the-lp.html): Musician Todd Rundgren will be performing the entire "A Wizard, A True Star" album live in Akron, OH on September 6th and 7th at the Akron Civic Theatre.

I believe he is also doing this in the UK.  I read it somewhere in Classic Rock Magazine.

Blooby

Ted

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 24, 2009, 06:09:20 PMAnyone else come across any records with stuff in the run-out grooves? Or any other weird pressings? I don't remember which one, but I think I have an album with three sides (side four is blank). Or maybe I just saw it somewhere.

I have that same Synergy album on clear vinyl.  I also have The Beatles compilations 1962-1966 on translucent red vinyl, and 1967-1970 on blue vinyl.

Quote from: Flash Harry on July 24, 2009, 06:13:46 PMI think that the Monty Python guys did an LP with two grooves, and depending on which groove you got, you heard a different set of sketches.

I used to have The Monty Python Matching Tie and Handkerchief.

Speaking of Todd Rundgren, I have Initiation, which had one of the longest sides ever pressed onto vinyl: side two is A Treatise on Cosmic Fire – 35:22

And speaking of 45 singles (aren't we?) I have two 45s on red vinyl:

• Change of Heart (b/w Heartbreakers Beach Party), by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
  • We Are The One & I Believe in Me (b/w Car Crash), by The Avengers
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Oldrottenhead

QuoteSpeaking of Todd Rundgren, I have Initiation, which had one of the longest sides ever pressed onto vinyl: side two is A Treatise on Cosmic Fire – 35:22
i had that too it was pressed with micro grooves or some such process. w

a wizard a true star live???????????ooooh ive come over all funny
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

assassin

elvis costello---radio radio.

SteveB

Quote from: wiley on July 22, 2009, 06:58:36 PMI think mine was the song Ventura Highway. Can't even remember who did it.  No I think it was Summer Breeze. Can't remember who did that either. lOL

WLY - Ventura Highway was written and performed by the acoustic group America, who were, ironically, 3 sons of U.S. servicemen serving in the U.K. - they were produced on Disc by one George Martin (He of The Beatles' fame). Their biggest hit was the odd-but-catchy Horse With No Name.
Summer Breeze was written and performed (superbly, as always) by The Isley Brothers.

I grew up in a crowded house in the late 1950s. The Family had a Radiogram (Later Stereogram), which was shaped like a coffin. The place teemed with recorded music: 78s, LPs. 45s. Even Talking Books on 16rpm. We then moved, and for a couple of years all we had was a radio which was tuned to the 'Light' Programme; which essentially played Dean Martin songs on a Loop. (No wonder the Family all ended up as drunks!!). Eventually I rebelled and began to buy music for myself (didn't even have a record player at the time. I amassed about 20 45s for before My Parents' relented and bought me a Dansette). This was one of the first Singles I bought, and still by far the best version I've heard. My (now very worn copy) is on the 'progressive' Deram label.

YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AM9ceUo_pQ
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon