Your first 45rpm single?

Started by hooper, July 22, 2009, 11:06:43 AM

hooper

What was the first 45rpm single record that you ever bought?
Hmm, maybe some folks around here never bought a single.... Well, not your fault about when you were born. :D  There was a guest on one of the morning radio shows a while back and people would call in and tell him what was the first 45 record that they ever bought and he would guess their age within a year or two every time.

Anyway, to start it off:

Pappa Hum Mow, Mow - by The Rivingtons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQrQjNNZCAo

When I was 10 years old my little brother and I chipped in the money and bought it together. I think 45's cost about about 60 cents back then! 
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

Oldrottenhead

my first record was you where made for me by freddy and the dreamers about 1964 or 1965 i think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8oRf7SMEfo
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SteveG

upsetminded

Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs - Sugar Shack.  Not when it was released though (1963) I got it years later as a little kid.  I don't know how to put up You Tube the way you guys did.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DW8ecqu0Iw
I'd rather be cool than be loved. - Courtney Taylor

SteveG

Quote from: upsetminded on July 22, 2009, 12:59:54 PMJimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs - Sugar Shack.  Not when it was released though (1963) I got it years later as a little kid.  I don't know how to put up You Tube the way you guys did.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DW8ecqu0Iw

Copy the Youtube URL, then hit the Youtube button when posting and paste it in between, just like it used to be with the MP3's

Bluesberry

Here is mine, I was 7 or 8, I am not sure what exactly prompted me to buy this, but I sure wore it out once I got it home.  The next thing I bought after this (I was so impressed by this) was Magical Mystery Tour (American LP version), I have never been the same since  :D 

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StevieM

Pretty sure it was Napoleon IVX, They're Coming To Take Me Away HA HA. Pretty good flip side too----- It was the whole track again, BACKWARDS!!!! ???
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

64Guitars

Gee. I don't think I can remember the first 45 I bought. I'm guessing it was The Beatles ("She Loves You" or "Please Please Me"), or maybe Dave Clark Five ("Bits and Pieces" or "Glad All Over"). I remember when the price went up to 77₵. I don't recall what it was before that but 60₵ sounds about right. I probably had a hundred or more 45s at one point. I gave many away but still have about 50. Some of the earliest of those I still have are:

• Please Tell Me Why / Look Before You Leap - The Dave Clark Five (1966)
  • East West / What Is Wrong What Is Right - Herman's Hermits (1966)
  • Winchester Cathedral / Wait For Me Baby - The New Vaudeville Band (1966)
  • People Are Strange / Unhappy Girl - The Doors (1967)
  • She's A Rainbow / 2,000 Light Years From Home - The Rolling Stones (1968)
  • Green Tambourine / No Help From Me - The Lemon Pipers (1968)
  • Pictures of Matchstick Men / Gentleman Joe's Sidewalk Cafe - The Status Quo (1968)
  • Fire / Rest Cure - Arthur Brown (1968)

I have some even older 45s but I don't think I bought them. I got them from relatives.

• Walk - - Don't Run / Home - The Ventures (1960)
  • I'll Never Dance Again / Gee, It's Wonderful - Bobby Rydell (1962)
  • A Steel Guitar And A Glass Of Wine / I Never Knew Your Name - Paul Anka (1962)
  • Linda / When I Learn How To Cry - Jan and Dean (1963)
  • It's Up To You / I Need You - Rick Nelson (1963)
  • You're The Reason I'm Living / Now You're Gone - Bobby Darin (1963)
  • Old Smokey Locomotion / Just A Little Girl - Little Eva (1963)
  • The Jerk / Forget Me - The Larks (1964)

I remember that the first album I ever bought was The Beatles "Twist and Shout" in 1964. I was 8 years old and bought it with Christmas money that I got from relatives. I still have it.

For those of you who don't recognise it, it's basically the Canadian equivalent of "Please Please Me" (the first U.K. album), but with "I Saw Her Standing There" and "Misery" replaced with "From Me To You" and "She Loves You".

When I was a kid, my dad bought me "My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean / When The Saints Go Marching In" by The Beatles with Tony Sheridan (1961). He found it in a bargain bin at the local department store. I remember that I didn't even want it because I didn't believe it was actually The Beatles. I think the outer sleeve said it was "The Silver Beetles" and I figured it was a bunch of impostors cashing in on The Beatles' success.  It's probably worth a few hundred dollars today. I should have kept it.  :-[  My brother has it now.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Davo

Except for the Beatles, Ive never heard any of these before!  Some cool songs.

Freddie looks alot like Buddy Holly, was that intentional?
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ted

I probably got this as a birthday present when I was in first grade, so I didn't buy it with my own money:

But this, I'm sure I bought with my allowance when I was 11 or 12:

I fell asleep while my record player was set to play it over and over again.  My door was locked.  My bitch stepfather threatened me to not let it ever happen again.  Oh the irony.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac