Top 5 Albums of All Time

Started by Bosko Schwartz, July 22, 2009, 07:01:10 AM

Ted

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 25, 2009, 05:59:24 PM
Quote from: Ted on July 25, 2009, 03:45:07 PMEarlier in this topic, I provided the results of my "data analysis approach" to my favorite albums.  And the results surprised me.  (Nobody commented on it, which really hurt my feelings. ;))

No one comments on a lot of the shit I post.  But I've learned to not take it personally.  I understand not everything is going to get a written reaction because everyone here has a life (except Greeny ... either that, or he's really a set of identical twins.  Or perhaps super-human.  No one has that much time. ;D).

I hope it was clear that I was being facetious there.  There isn't a facetious smiley, so I used the winking one.

Thanks for your comments.  And more thanks for starting this interesting topic.

Just as I geek out on my top-five albums, I also geek out on my smart playlists in iTunes.  I have an 8GB Nano, and 40GB of music, so I have an intricate system that rotates in a portion of my library every time I sync. One- and two-star songs never get rotated on. Three-star songs take an average of 17 months between plays.  Four- and five-star songs take an average of 10 months between plays.  Unrated songs stay on until I rate them.

That's just the beginning of the madness:  I have another playlist system that balances the ratio of music my wife likes to the music that only I like.  More wife-music when we're on a road trip together, less when I listen alone.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Ted on July 26, 2009, 12:08:12 AMI hope it was clear that I was being facetious there.  There isn't a facetious smiley, so I used the winking one.

Thanks for your comments.  And more thanks for starting this interesting topic.

Just as I geek out on my top-five albums, I also geek out on my smart playlists in iTunes.  I have an 8GB Nano, and 40GB of music, so I have an intricate system that rotates in a portion of my library every time I sync. One- and two-star songs never get rotated on. Three-star songs take an average of 17 months between plays.  Four- and five-star songs take an average of 10 months between plays.  Unrated songs stay on until I rate them.

That's just the beginning of the madness:  I have another playlist system that balances the ratio of music my wife likes to the music that only I like.  More wife-music when we're on a road trip together, less when I listen alone.

I am guessing the facetiousness was only somewhat true.  I can't speak for you, of course, but once in a while it does get to me when I thought I wrote something even somewhat interesting, intriguing, or funny, and it gets no response.  Maybe you have steel skin, but not me. :-\  In the case of your post, I was surprised no one responded either.  So I did.

You have some crazy playlists, there, sir.  But it sounds like they work well due to the 8GB Nano.  I have a 60GB iPod and it only contains about half of my music.  I have to slowly get rid of some things and try to fit on others, but it's hard.  Every time I try to go through the list and remove some, it's like pulling teeth.  My geekiness extends to the fact that not only must every song be a part of a complete album (I don't have just "songs" on my iPod), but within the artists, I always have to have all or at least most of their catalogue for a sense of completion.  Even if I don't listen to many of the albums, they have to be there.  I think it's some form of obsessive/compulsive disorder.  So it pretty much stays the way it is and I don't really listen to the other half of my music.  I wish I had the discipline to take your approach.  Good idea with the wife/non-wife smart playlists!
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Oldrottenhead

ive not modified my picks today , but im starting a new thread on your 5 best gigs attended.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

lexman

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 24, 2009, 01:53:32 PM
Quote from: lexman on July 24, 2009, 01:45:26 AMAC/DC               - Highway to Hell (Bon's best work)
Dream Theater    - Images & Words
Ozzy Osbourne    - Blizzard of Ozz
David Lee Roth    - Skyscaper
Anthax               - Spreading the disease

It takes balls, sir -- grargantuan, titanium balls -- to put a David Lee Roth album on an all-time Top 5 list. :o  I applaud your balls, sir.  How do you ride a bike?

There a many goog song on that album.
And the musician a world class, Stev Vai on guitar, Billy Sheehan on bassguitar
for example.

Listen to "Two fools a minute" great jazzy song.
Just listen to the album and maybe you know why I put it on the list.
But as you can see, the albums vary from oridinary Hard rock to progressive metal up to thrash metal

And I don't ride a bike by the way...I prefer four wheels under my ass.

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: lexman on July 27, 2009, 12:19:05 AMThere a many goog song on that album.
And the musician a world class, Stev Vai on guitar, Billy Sheehan on bassguitar
for example.

Listen to "Two fools a minute" great jazzy song.
Just listen to the album and maybe you know why I put it on the list.

Just a little David Lee Roth humor, lexman.  No offense intended.  You have to admit, he is a bit of a clown.

Oh, and I'm a big David-Lee-Roth-only Van Halen fan, by the way, so I'm not a Dave hater.

SteveG

Eat 'em and smile was the better album tho...

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: SteveG on July 27, 2009, 09:00:00 AMEat 'em and smile was the better album tho...

True, but I would say any of the Roth-era Van Halen albums are better than his solo stuff.  Just my opinion ...

lexman

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 27, 2009, 09:04:16 AMTrue, but I would say any of the Roth-era Van Halen albums are better than his solo stuff.  Just my opinion ...

Women and Children first is one of my favorites from that era.

Bosko Schwartz

Hell yes.  But they're all good.  I tend to love VH (1st album) and Fair Warning a lot too!

Burtog

An old thread but got me thinkin'

In no perticluar order;

1. Dire Straits - Dire Straits................very influential for me.
2. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
3. Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
4. Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
5. Doves - Lost Souls

Top 5 songs would be impossible to choose.
recorder
Boss BR-800