Top 5 Albums of All Time

Started by Bosko Schwartz, July 22, 2009, 07:01:10 AM

Ted

Quote from: Greeny on July 24, 2009, 09:45:50 AMIt's the minor seventh I have a problem with... I know all the chords except for F#m7... I think it's a bar chord, and I'm not great at those. Damn, this is showing me up for the beginner that I really am!!!!

Beginner my ass.  You're a natural player, not a schmoe like me who knows just enough theory to keep my heart from connecting directly with my hands.

To make a minor barre chord into a minor seventh, just lift your pinkie.

Here are the chords:
   Abm7    Abm    B7sus4  B7sus
E --4--   --4--   --2--   --2--
B --4--   --4--   --5--   --5--
G --4--   --4--   --2--   --4--
D --4--   --6--   --4--   --4--
A --6--   --6--   --2--   --2--
E --4--   --4--   -----   -----

Now get busy.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ferryman

Notice that Elvis doesn't appear to be able to play a barre chord....... Or need to?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 24, 2009, 10:16:16 AMIs it just me or does everyone tend to prefer the first version they hear, even if it's a cover?

Not always.  Greeny's version is now my favorite version of Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen, followed by Rufus Wainwright's version, followed by every other cover version I've heard (including Jeff Buckley's)--and last on the list is Leonard Cohen's original version.

Thanks for the Ronstadt version of Alison.  I haven't heard it in years, and (being a fan of the original EC version) it's not nearly as awful as I remembered it.  Not awful at all--but I could do without that buttery sax.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

Quote from: Ferryman on July 24, 2009, 10:52:53 AMNotice that Elvis doesn't appear to be able to play a barre chord....... Or need to?

Those are barre chords, but EC tends not to play the bass strings (E and A), so he frets the B and high E strings with his index fingertip, rather than the laying his whole index finger across the fretboard.  I find it very unnatural.

A guitarist in Cameroon once tried to get me to play my barre chords like that, and got really frustrated that I couldn't do it.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Tony W

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 24, 2009, 10:16:16 AMIs it just me or does everyone tend to prefer the first version they hear, even if it's a cover?

There are a few exceptions for me. [Cake] covered "I will survive".
"I Will Survive" is a song first performed by Gloria Gaynor, released in October 1978. It was written by Freddie Perren and Dino Fekaris.

I heard the original first, but like the cover better. On a side note, I also like a few of Kody's covers better than the original.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: Ted on July 24, 2009, 11:13:03 AM
Quote from: Ferryman on July 24, 2009, 10:52:53 AMNotice that Elvis doesn't appear to be able to play a barre chord....... Or need to?

Those are barre chords, but EC tends not to play the bass strings (E and A), so he frets the B and high E strings with his index fingertip, rather than the laying his whole index finger across the fretboard.  I find it very unnatural.

A guitarist in Cameroon once tried to get me to play my barre chords like that, and got really frustrated that I couldn't do it.

Actually, I think he's fretting the 5th and 6th strings with his thumb. I do that too. I find it easier and better sounding. The first two strings seem to ring clearer, giving it a brighter, almost 'open chord' quality. Some people have trouble fretting with their thumb but I find it quite natural. If you wrap your left hand around your right wrist and look at the fingers of your left hand, you'll find that they naturally form a major barre chord (except that the 2nd finger might have to come back a bit). The index finger is in the right position to cover the 1st and 2nd strings, and the thumb is in the right position to cover the 6th string. If you hold the neck of your guitar the same way, you can easily play major barre chords using your thumb to fret the 6th string (with a little practice). For minor barre chords, just lift your 2nd finger and extend the first finger barre to cover the first three strings. Actually, I usually barre the first three strings, even for major chords, so that I can easily switch between major and minor. For a minor 7th, lift the 2nd and 4th fingers and barre the first four strings with the first finger. It's easy once you get used to it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bluesberry

QuoteActually, I think he's fretting the 5th and 6th strings with his thumb.
That would be the Pete Townshend way of playing barre chords.  I find it hard to do myself.  This thread is becomming a very interesting discussion of some very great music.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: Bluesberry on July 24, 2009, 12:13:43 PM
That would be the Pete Townshend way of playing barre chords.

I always think of them as 'Hendrix barre chords' but a lot of guitarists have used the same technique.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bluesberry

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 24, 2009, 12:50:14 PM
Quote from: Bluesberry on July 24, 2009, 12:13:43 PM
That would be the Pete Townshend way of playing barre chords.

I always think of them as 'Hendrix barre chords' but a lot of guitarists have used the same technique.

Who used it first, Hendrix of Townshend?  The eternal question, If you ask Townshend he will say Hendrix copied a lot from him, Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton...If you could ask Hendrix he would say those guys copied a lot from him?  I guess it ws a melting pot back in the boom days of 60s British Blues when these guys were all developing.  Maybe it came from Buddy Guy or someone like that?   

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Satchwood

This is very tough to do, but here goes a list of 5 of MY faves for today:

1. Flying in a Blue Dream, Joe Satriani
2. Rising Force, Yngwie Malmsteen
3. Images and Words, Dream Theater
4. Empire, Queensryche
5. Toys in the Attic, Aerosmith
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)