Top 5 Albums of All Time

Started by Bosko Schwartz, July 22, 2009, 07:01:10 AM

Ted

Quote from: Greeny on July 24, 2009, 08:35:38 AM
Quote from: 48 on July 24, 2009, 07:54:27 AM
Quote from: Greeny on July 24, 2009, 07:29:09 AM'Alison'... WHAT a song!!!!!
Come on Tim I would love to hear your take....

I can't play it - Mr Costello uses some very jazzy chords that I can't follow. Could definitely sing it though. Any takers?!

Greeny, If I can play it, you can!  Nothing in there is more Jazzy than a minor seventh.

http://www.elviscostello.info/guitar/mait.html#alison
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

hooper

I can't play it - Mr Costello uses some very jazzy chords that I can't follow. Could definitely sing it thiough. Any takers?!

Dammit Greeny!  I'm trying to swear off of covers for a while and just work on original stuff.  But I just can't pass this up!  So, yeah I'd like to do that....
I love 'Allison'  ;D

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

Ferryman

Alison is one of my fave songs and I nearly recorded a cover a couple of weeks back just for a quick bit of fun. I saw Costello do this without the Attractions on some TV show in about 1979, just him and his guitar and I prefer it that way, less jazzy. But I've got busy with other stuff and new toys and am working on "White Rabbit" for Woodstock. Perhaps one day. It's one of the two songs I can actually play all the way through on the guitar (the other being Ziggy Stardust).

Back on topic. Here's my top 5:

Psychedelic Furs - The Psychedelic Furs
Roxy Music - Roxy Music
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
Iggy Pop - The Idiot

That reminds me, my band used to do a manic cover of "Mass Production". Must record that one day.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Quote from: hooper on July 24, 2009, 09:05:49 AM

I can't play it - Mr Costello uses some very jazzy chords that I can't follow. Could definitely sing it thiough. Any takers?!

Dammit Greeny!  I'm trying to swear off of covers for a while and just work on original stuff.  But I just can't pass this up!  So, yeah I'd like to do that....
I love 'Allison'  ;D

One more cover won't hurt, lol.... !

Greeny

Quote from: Ted on July 24, 2009, 09:00:24 AM

I can't play it - Mr Costello uses some very jazzy chords that I can't follow. Could definitely sing it though. Any takers?!

Greeny, If I can play it, you can!  Nothing in there is more Jazzy than a minor seventh.

http://www.elviscostello.info/guitar/mait.html#alison

It's the minor seventh I have a problem with... I know all the chords except for F#m7... I think it's a bar chord, and I'm not great at those. Damn, this is showing me up for the beginner that I really am!!!!

Flash Harry

Hunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Diamond Dogs
Low
Scary Monsters

Not neccessarily in that order.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

Quote from: Flash Harry on July 24, 2009, 09:46:52 AMHunky Dory
Ziggy Stardust
Diamond Dogs
Low
Scary Monsters

Not neccessarily in that order.

You can never have too much Bowie!!!!

64Guitars

I think Alison is a great song, but I've always preferred Linda Ronstadt's cover from her 1978 "Living in the U.S.A." album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAHktlvoZEE

I bought that album long before I ever heard the Elvis Costello original. I find that I almost always prefer the first version of a song that I hear, regardless of whether it's the original or a cover. Usually, I'll hear the original first and it will be my favourite. But, in a few instances such as this, I'll get familiar with the cover before hearing the original, and I almost always prefer the cover. Is it just me or does everyone tend to prefer the first version they hear, even if it's a cover?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Greeny

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 24, 2009, 10:16:16 AMUsually, I'll hear the original first and it will be my favourite. But, in a few instances such as this, I'll get familiar with the cover before hearing the original, and I almost always prefer the cover. Is it just me or does everyone tend to prefer the first version they hear, even if it's a cover?

I think it depends on the quality of the cover - there are so many throwaway, lazy covers around these days (I say lazy, because it's clear they're released knowing the 'kids' will have no idea it's a cover...).

I have to say I really liked No Doubt's cover of 'It's My Life', even though I'd known and loved the Talk Talk original for many years.

And although I knew the Roxy version of Jealous Guy before I heard the original Lennon version, Lennon wins hands down.

So I can't give a definitive answer... lol

Ferryman

This is the version of Alison that I love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLesCQvXVUw

That's the way I play it. Well I try to.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR