Played an open mic last night...

Started by Davo, July 21, 2009, 12:27:07 PM

Davo

My good friend Trent and I played a local open mic.  It was at a very artsy coffee shop with a cool vibe.  There were a ton of musicians there last night, usually ther are more poets.  Guitars, dobros, digery-doos, bongos, harmonicas, free form rappers were all there. 

We played two instrumentals one of which will likely get vocals once it gets developed a bit more.  We nailed both of our songs.  Several people commented on our great tone too, we had two perfectly tuned Blueridges that filled that place with sound.

There some GOOD acts there, one guy sang in a falsetto but he attacked those vocals head on and it totally worked.   Also there were several acts doing covers.  Some great monologues and poems too-especially a guy dressed like 1984 Bono.

Overall I dont think we really stood out, but we nailed our songs so Im still very happy.  After the mic, we mingled with a bunch of other performers, most of whom were very cool.  I wanted to record it with my MBR but I was fresh out of AA's.   Next time.

Cant wait to go back!
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

guitarron

sounds like a great time-too bad about the freakin' batteries-arghh

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SharksDontSleep

Hey, nice one.
Sounds like you really enjoyed it.

I've never had the opportunity of at an open mic session, although I used to join in at a local folk club a few years back.
I used to get the same buzz as you have, even though I'm strictly a strum merchant (can't do the fingy pick stuff as years ago I was diagnosed with cack hand a tragic condition which will mean I'll never be the lead guitarist in a Cream tribute band again).

Looking forward to hearing the next session when your BR is batteried up. ;)

OsCKilO

Well done Davo.....!!!!!

I turn into a "brick-shitter" at the thought of an open mic!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Davo

Quote from: osckilo on July 21, 2009, 01:01:04 PMWell done Davo.....!!!!!

I turn into a "brick-shitter" at the thought of an open mic!

Apparently your not the only one.  Every open mic ive played, at least one bandmate has to go like 5 minutes before we go on.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Greeny

Hope you record it next time! If there's a mixing desk, use a lead to suck the sound straight into the 'Line IN' on the BR (if the organiser HAS a mixing desk and will let you, lol). Nice one!

Wiley

Sounds like a lot of fun.  They don't have open mic around here. To far into the sticks I guess. That would be a lot of fun!!  Record next time would be great to hear.

launched

Open mic nights are fun - Never played in one, but I've been to a few. The acts get crazy sometimes - from the strange to the downright out of control!!

Love it!! Glad you had a good time.

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover