Bluesberrys new toy (vocal harmony stompbox)

Started by Bluesberry, July 20, 2009, 09:24:18 AM

OsCKilO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnj2oU8MYCI

This one is Naughty Though.......

It changes your voice to match the chord......

Very Smart little box!

Would be cool for Dance Tracks....!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

OsCKilO

Makes you think though....

All the Big time artists have these at their disposal.....

How real is the voice you get from them?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Migs

Quote from: osckilo on July 20, 2009, 07:40:31 PMAll the Big time artists have these at their disposal.....

All this time you thought it was Simon & Garfunkle - nope, just Simon.  Hall & Oats - just Oats.  Milli Vanilli ... just Vanilli.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Ferryman

Quote from: osckilo on July 20, 2009, 07:40:31 PMAll the Big time artists have these at their disposal.....

How real is the voice you get from them?

Not very real at all. See what you can do with a $200 box, imagine what you can do with a studio full of computers! Most studios can do very sophisticated pitch correction now where a computer can detect off key singing and correct it electronically. The Gadget Show on UK Channel 5 took one of their presenters, a girl who couldn't sing, into one such studio and she was able to create a very passable commercial sounding track.

So nothing wrong with us using our own versions! It's the inspiration and originality that counts in my book.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Wiley

I can see where your little box would be helpful playing live when you are a one man band or a duo.  It's a little hard to sing harmonies with yourself then.   I have done this many times and wish I would have had something like that.  And what Ferryman said about the studio, isn't that the truth they can make anybody sound good with their pitch corrections and all.  Some of the so called famous singers don't sound near as good singing live.  Anyway I think your box is pretty cool!!

Bluesberry

Quote from: osckilo on July 20, 2009, 07:20:57 PMJust Listened to Your Track Again...

You Didn't use any Pitch Correction/changers like the Guy in the First Video...

It was All you, Just Doubled up....

Well done BB!

These Gizmos seem like a Time saving device....
Would be cool Live........

This one is Naughty Though.......

It changes your voice to match the chord......

It doesn't do pitch correction, it just has reverb, a little EQ polish (brings out the high end slightly to remove mud from the voice, especially because these things work best with a dynamic mic, which are muddy sounding usually) and slight compression as far as your real voice is concerned (who doesn't use reverb, EQ polish and slight compression on their voices, we all do that, the microBR does that). And you can get a doubling effect which is like taking a vocal track and copying it at a slight delay and panning these slightly (who doesn't already do that on their microBRs, I have been doing that for a while now). What it does is take the input of your voice, what you are singing and the guitar chord you strum to create 2 harmony voices in the background.  Now here is the cool part, say I strum a GMaj chord and sing a note, I get a nice harmony sound, if I keep that singing note the same but change to a Gmin chord, it will adjust the harmony voices to match the new chord, and it does this pretty seamlessly.  This type of effect has been around for a while in $1000s of dollars studio gear, but to get something this sophsticated in a $200 stompbox is pretty out-of-sight for the little people like me (home recording dudes, solo guitar/singers dudes).  As far as the harmony voices are concerned it is kinda like a delay pedal with pitch modulation to give you 3rds and 5ths of what you are singing, it is all your actual voice, just copied and pitch modulated and they (the two harmony voices) track the chord you play, how cool is that?  I am having a blast with this thing, and it seems to be a real nice add on to the microBR, there is something very similar built into the BR-1200 and BR-1600, it is called Vocal Toolbox (it is one of the big selling features of the BR-1200/1600 in fact), this thing sounds better, and it allows you to have this type of Vocal Toolbox in the smaller BR units for the price of a stomp box.  Of course to make this work good you have to be able to play guitar well (it needs clear chords) and sing well (you have to be on pitch or the harmonies sound real bad), and do these well at the same time, so it is not magic, it doesn't take all the work out of singing and playing well, it just enhances the fun.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

I think the "Purist" attitude we have on this forum is Very cool.....
It also makes me feel better about my own work, when the recording techniques are held in comparison with Mainstream artists....
This is what makes the Music on this site very special!!!!!

This place is a showcase of Natural Human Talent.
I'm Thankful that is exists!

Quote from: Migs on July 20, 2009, 09:46:10 PM

All this time you thought it was Simon & Garfunkle - nope, just Simon.  Hall & Oats - just Oats.  Milli Vanilli ... just Vanilli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XLxMeg9hVY

Milli Vannilli?

You Just Made The E.M.O's world cave in!!!!

I have Heard that It wasn't either of them.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua6V1cSS9Kg

Just found the real them......
This was the real voice.....!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

BB

They way you use the tool, I certainly look forward to hearing more from it!
Fits right with the Purist Mentality!

Peace Bro

Please dont take some of these comments as directed at you.....

The Subject is massive.....And Quite shocking for me....
I Thought that all these Pop stars were natural talents....

No wonder I cant hit them notes singing in the car!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Quote from: osckilo on July 21, 2009, 04:40:44 AMI think the "Purist" attitude we have on this forum is Very cool.....
I wouldn't be so sure of that T, some of the guys on this site are heavily into production tricks and all that, think of Hooper, AndyR, Boscko, to name just the first three that come to mind.  What about the dudes that record in their micros, dump the tracks over to their DAW and manipulate their tracks in the computer with all the software tools at their disposal.  There is also the element of the microBR where you just turn it on and record in one take singing and acoustic guitar, as pure as it gets.  I think we have all the range on here.  What about all the processing we all do to our guitar sound?  That is so common nowadays it is not even thought about.  Even someone as great as John Lennon used effects on his voice on all those great Beatles tracks, lots of effects.  

You are right T it is a very big subject for debate.  I think it may shock you to find out all the processing some of the folks posting on here get up to, let alone the "stars".  I just thought it was cool that I can suddenly make harmonies like The Band, I was so pumped about that, and it sounded real good.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

I hear you BB...

Music is new to me..... Only started recording in march...

It is a strange journey finding out all these tricks of the trade....
I never even thought it was possiable.....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR