Roland GR 20 guitar Synth

Started by tafka, July 16, 2009, 09:32:08 AM

tafka

if anyone is serious about buying one of these here  are some things you might like to know.
the piano tones are rich and full sounding but do lack some sustain. i have found that picking the stings with my fingers gave the best result.
the organ tones are very authentic too and with the expression pedal you can add vibrato to give it a hammond feel.
bass & guitar tones have great sounds but as with the piano i found i had to adjust my picking style.i have done very little with the brass section. The wind section is
excellent "Sax" sounds very real and is great to play.Strings and Orchestra are as good as a Korg M50. Synth sounds sound great if you don't own a real synth.
the voice/pad section is a lot of fun and very useful for backing or la la type vocals.
the ethnic section has some very authentic sitars with and without backing.
5 & 6 string banjo and a whole load of other instruments. It also has its own drum kit and other percussive sounds.
the tones can be tweeked with Attack , Release , Chorus , Delay/Reverb.
all in all i would give it a 9/10
The GK-3 pick-up i found to be a nightmare to fit.it took me 3 hours.string height is crittical 1 mm clearence.i adjusted the bridge saddles to get the best signal.
hope this has been some help

T
and if the sun should fail to rise against my
shoulders one last time...

Tony W

I thought I was dreaming when I said... one day I'll have one of these.........

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Halem

Wanted to start new gr-20 thread but found this one.

Well, gr-20 is a powerful device and sharing tips and tricks, like those tafkas's would be a nice idea, i think.

I can add useful one: if you're looking for guitar matching gr-20 check out Godin Multiac series, those are nylon-stringed guitars with a built-in piezo midi pickup. They're easy to play and way more sensitive then electric guitars equipped with g-3(that doesn't mean that g-3 equipped guitars lack anything, you just have to set sensivity up to 9 when you can get the same with 6-7 on Multiac).

And i have a question for more experienced guys, how do i get the same percussion tone that Flashbulb played in the beginning of this piece(very nice video btw)? And those lead tones, i think he use some piano/lead synth patches with "attack" turned up and control them with pedals, but i'm not really sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_oggIhHi2E

Johnny Mac

Sounds like an interesting product.

I got into Midi guitar last year. I've just noticed that I've got somthing odd happening with my sounds. It's kind of warbling sound. It's like a tremolo effect but without any eveness. Some of the strings are going up and down in pitch.
The guitar has a Graphtech Ghost piezo bridge saddles into an Axon AX 100 MkII.

64Guitars

Quote from: Johnny Mac on July 17, 2010, 01:16:24 PMI got into Midi guitar last year. I've just noticed that I've got somthing odd happening with my sounds. It's kind of warbling sound. It's like a tremolo effect but without any eveness. Some of the strings are going up and down in pitch.

Have you tried asking about this in the AXON forums? They're usually very helpful.

http://www.axon-technologies.net/forum/index.php

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Johnny Mac

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 17, 2010, 02:18:34 PM
Quote from: Johnny Mac on July 17, 2010, 01:16:24 PMI got into Midi guitar last year. I've just noticed that I've got somthing odd happening with my sounds. It's kind of warbling sound. It's like a tremolo effect but without any eveness. Some of the strings are going up and down in pitch.

Have you tried asking about this in the AXON forums? They're usually very helpful.

http://www.axon-technologies.net/forum/index.php

I haven't yet thanks for the reminder. I forgot about that place.

64Guitars

I had a look on the AXON forums today and was surprised to learn that Terratec has discontinued the AXON pitch-to-midi converters. I'm disappointed because I'd hoped to get an AX-100 someday. I guess Roland is the only game in town now for guitar pitch-to-midi conversion. Maybe they'll acquire the AXON technology to improve their own products. That would be great. Or maybe someone else will buy it and release a new version of the AXON, as Terratec did when they bought it from Blue Chip Music Technology.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Johnny Mac

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 22, 2010, 01:05:06 PMI had a look on the AXON forums today and was surprised to learn that Terratec has discontinued the AXON pitch-to-midi converters. I'm disappointed because I'd hoped to get an AX-100 someday. I guess Roland is the only game in town now for guitar pitch-to-midi conversion. Maybe they'll acquire the AXON technology to improve their own products. That would be great. Or maybe someone else will buy it and release a new version of the AXON, as Terratec did when they bought it from Blue Chip Music Technology.

Have a look on Thomann, they might still have some in stock.

Its a surprise to me. Its a great product. I just midi it into Kore2 and use the huge library of sounds in there