Painting pickups

Started by SteveG, July 13, 2009, 02:04:12 PM

SteveG

So .. my thought's have turned to getting on with my stalled Strat(ish) project. (Aria strat with Jap strat neck) I am quite happy with the pickups, and curious to find out what they are when I strip it, as I am certain that they are not stock Aria. Only thing is they are white, and I want them black.
New covers for the s/c,s are no prob, but can I paint the bucker? What with? Will it effect tone / sensitivity?
If this is possible, changing the rest for black will cost very little, make the guitar far sexier, and keep her off my back!!!!

Sprocket

There is a product out there called "Bobbin Toppers" that is a sticky backed cover for what you want to do.
Or Id recommend Krylon Fussion...its made for plastics and dries in 15 mins.
I fear the painting idea because it will get scraped off...only slower cause its the bridge pup.

[edit]Heres the link "bobbin toppers"

SteveG

Looks like the bobbin toppers are not available in the UK, and very high postage from the US!! The paint is tho, £10 a can, which would give me plenty to touch it up if / when needed. And way cheaper than a new pickup!!

Thanks for the advice.

Sprocket

Quote from: SteveG on July 13, 2009, 02:16:36 PMLooks like the bobbin toppers are not available in the UK, and very high postage from the US!! The paint is tho, £10 a can, which would give me plenty to touch it up if / when needed. And way cheaper than a new pickup!!

Thanks for the advice.

How much are they?
I could fit these in an envelop and mail them to you for very little, Im certain.
We could make this happen if need be.

SteveG

Quote from: Sprocket on July 13, 2009, 02:32:59 PM
Quote from: SteveG on July 13, 2009, 02:16:36 PMLooks like the bobbin toppers are not available in the UK, and very high postage from the US!! The paint is tho, £10 a can, which would give me plenty to touch it up if / when needed. And way cheaper than a new pickup!!

Thanks for the advice.

How much are they?
I could fit these in an envelop and mail them to you for very little, Im certain.
We could make this happen if need be.

May take you up on that, but a decent paint would be my preference over a sticker that may peel off in time.

SteveG

I just re-read the bobbin site, and they do not charge the extra shipping for the bobbin toppers, just for heavier stuff, so that would be ok if I go that route ... cheers!

The Reverend 48

Try these
http://www.axesrus.com/axepupcovs.htm
you could either paint the iommi style black (emg feel)
or why not get a chrome cover and some chrome tele style knobs
Chrome and Black very sexy...........

Sprocket

Granted I didnt re-read the product description before posting, but I was really under the impression it was more than a feeble sticker, Im under the impression its plastic with a sticky back...not unlike a bobbin, only thinner.

I like 48's idea...but Im fearful with the Strat that hed have to get a ring and a cover, I cant see how a Strat would accomodate a ring...and his pickup may change tone with a cover...I think there could be a way to do it without a ring, BUT if he likes his pups tone where it is the cover might effect it...hed also have to wax pot it to keep it from feeding back.(if hes a high gain kinda guy)

SteveG

Yeah, I like the bucker as is, it is tapped too and words quite effectively. Also balances well with the s/c ones.

May well go for them bobbin covers actually, would be the simplest solution, which applying Occam's Razor would be the right one.....