New guitar

Started by Bro, July 13, 2009, 11:59:04 AM

SteveB

JHX - Also, if you are planning to Whammy-bar around for the foreseeable future, I'd suggest you start using heavy-gauge strings, at least 11s etc. Because, by the time you're fully grown (3-years time?), you'll be breaking lighter-gauge strings left, right and centre, and so you are as well getting used to the heavier stuff now as later, and it will probably save you some money in the long run. Personally, I think it would be in your best interests to get this dive-bombing out of your system quickly, and then develop your technique accordingly. But good luck either way.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Bro

Quote from: SteveB on July 14, 2009, 01:05:53 AMJHX - Also, if you are planning to Whammy-bar around for the foreseeable future, I'd suggest you start using heavy-gauge strings, at least 11s etc. Because, by the time you're fully grown (3-years time?), you'll be breaking lighter-gauge strings left, right and centre, and so you are as well getting used to the heavier stuff now as later, and it will probably save you some money in the long run. Personally, I think it would be in your best interests to get this dive-bombing out of your system quickly, and then develop your technique accordingly. But good luck either way.
Thanks i just moved op to 10s maybe i should get a little use to them first? :D
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Geir

Or you could just get a floyd-rose and stay in tune, stick to 009's and still don't break any strings !! (I've had my UV-777 for nearly 10 years now and only broken a couple of strings in that time, I've broken far more 10 & 11 strings on my accoustic).

yeah I know they're not authentic fender trem's and if you break a string you need 5-10 minutes to changes the string and tune-up so you need an extra guitar when playing live, but the advantage of staying in tune whatever you do with that bar far outweighs the extra tuning-time.

I know a lot of you will disagree, it's just mho.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bro

Okay thanks geir! There is one thing i wanna know something about though. The tremolo is to hard to push down in my opinion now. Can i get that fixed by loosening op the screws on the back of the guitar? What do i do?
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Geir

Quote from: 0jimihendrix0 on July 14, 2009, 04:49:38 AMOkay thanks geir! There is one thing i wanna know something about though. The tremolo is to hard to push down in my opinion now. Can i get that fixed by loosening op the screws on the back of the guitar? What do i do?
Get a floyd-rose ;D

If not it's a matter of deciding to stay in tune or having a "soft" trem(more & harder springs keep the trem firmer to the body and helps it stay in tune)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

SdC

I have a 20+ year old very similar Squier, and the same problem (same color too!). I have kept the trem intact, have had a block in there for some time, but now I just leave it loose, but without arm. Just using my fingers on the bridge directly when I need some vibrations going (rarely). I've tightened the springs a bit by screwing the screw holding the little metal spring end-plate deeper into the body, about 1cm.
Most of the "creacking" when tremming can be eliminated with a tiny bit of graphite powder in the nut and rollers  on the headstock; it's very cheap and available at any hardware store, so it should be the first thing to do. Just be very careful not to breathe it in!

recorder
Boss BR-600

Bro

Really geir? Well, i just would like to have a tremolo there is as easy going as this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEp2QLicd9Y

Geir

Take a look at this, the only way to do Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner and still stay in tune is whith a good trem-system with string-locks. And if it's floating you can do so much more !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN7SXmu8SCU
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

The Reverend 48

First of all Well Done on getting into the Stratosphere ;D
I can't put my 'Lil Bluey down ;)
All the strat types of guitar I've blocked the trem down and threw the bar in the draw
Mine has a 2-Point Synchronized Tremolo which I believe is the same as SRV it's seems to be very responsive and the strings don't go out of tune..I have not got into the whammy bar yet but if you push the bridge you get a very controlled trem (Jeff Beck Style)
You can buy them for around £25-£30
Its in between the bridge you have and a floyd rose'''
Also if your guitar has a good action and your going to keep it Wikinson do some great cheap pick ups that deliver a true strat tone for about £36.00

Sprocket

Quote from: 0jimihendrix0 on July 14, 2009, 04:49:38 AMOkay thanks geir! There is one thing i wanna know something about though. The tremolo is to hard to push down in my opinion now. Can i get that fixed by loosening op the screws on the back of the guitar? What do i do?

Okay, how many springs? If youve got 5 go to 4...if youve got 4 and its too tight then loosen the 2 screws...but please do my double stop test, even go as far as to do a double stop bend, bend both at the same time...if it goes out of tune when you do these bends, youre gonna need to go back and add more spring tension.

Find the lowest gauge string that you WONT break OR go with the largest string gauge you can muster....but stick with it as long as you can, when you increase string size you are increasing string tension...so then youll have to go through all this tremolo(spring) set up again EACH time you change string gauge. PLUS youll have to make adjustments to the trussrod! The transition from 9's to 10's isnt drastic...and IMO 10s are an excellent string gauge with both strength and tone...dont get me wrong, I can hear the benifits of 12's...but that is just sooo much tension I, personally, would never go there on my own guitar, Id play yours though *shrug*

If you can lift the bridge off the deck without a trem arm, you probably need more spring tension...as you are using similar fingers and pressures to do string bends with the other hand.

Dont buy another product thinking its gonna fix your problems...learn about the product youve got, learn its strengths and its weaknesses and how to overcome them(it is almost NEVER the guitars fault)...then you can sift through marketing and decide if another "better" product is for you. IMO all floating trems are the same(in regards to set up), except Floyd Rose models you have to cut the ball ends off of your strings(on most models)...Im not convinced this is such a good thing and its certainly not convenient.

Quote from: Geir on July 14, 2009, 06:08:19 AMTake a look at this, the only way to do Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner and still stay in tune is whith a good trem-system with string-locks. And if it's floating you can do so much more !!

That is a "locking nut" and a must have for divebombers...Ive never used "locking tuners", but I fail to see how locking tuners could possibly correct or address the nut/tuning issues. To install a locking nut on any guitar will require a luthier's knowledge and tools...I personally would never attempt it, I want somebody whos responsible and will to pay for damages.