New guitar

Started by Bro, July 13, 2009, 11:59:04 AM

SteveG

Quote from: Sprocket on July 13, 2009, 02:03:10 PM
QuoteKeith? Is that you? How's Mick?

Nope, but I do own a Tele...Im still reaching trying to understand the(Stones)reference?

"Keef" is well known for not bothering with the low E as he never uses it anyway :)

Bluesberry

You guys are mixing up springs and strings. ;)

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Sprocket

Quote from: Bluesberry on July 13, 2009, 03:42:58 PMYou guys are mixing up springs and strings. ;)

I was wondering what I was missing...thanks for clearing that up, I was stumped and afraid to ask for additional clarification.  :D

Diego Ayala

Quote from: SteveB on July 13, 2009, 12:52:47 PMJHX -  - one way of helping out, is to take the back plate off (Plastic on back of guitar), and see how many springs are attached to the trem-block? There are usually 3, but if you put 5 on, it will help maintain tuning while using the trem in a Hendrix-or-Blackmore-type-of-fashion. Springs can be bought from music shops. I had a Squier Strat, and it was a very good guitar.

You definetly want to put those extra springs in your tremolo - also make sure the screws that hold the springs are set so that the plate that holds the tremolo and strings as they come out from the guitar (front view) is flush with the body of the guitar.  Use heavy tension springs and you will not have any problems with the guitar going out of tune when you use the trem...

SteveG

Sprocket

Quote from: Diego Ayala on July 13, 2009, 06:15:15 PM
Quote from: SteveB on July 13, 2009, 12:52:47 PMJHX -  - one way of helping out, is to take the back plate off (Plastic on back of guitar), and see how many springs are attached to the trem-block? There are usually 3, but if you put 5 on, it will help maintain tuning while using the trem in a Hendrix-or-Blackmore-type-of-fashion. Springs can be bought from music shops. I had a Squier Strat, and it was a very good guitar.

You definetly want to put those extra springs in your tremolo - also make sure the screws that hold the springs are set so that the plate that holds the tremolo and strings as they come out from the guitar (front view) is flush with the body of the guitar.  Use heavy tension springs and you will not have any problems with the guitar going out of tune when you use the trem...

Well, there is a balancing act still with the 6 vintage screws holding down the front...Id be careful with too much tension as to not damage the eurathane.
If he plans to dive bomb or use the trem casually...tightening the trem spring screws is not what he wants to do.
Id only tighten those 2 screws if he was going to block the bridge, or if he wanted extra tension with his 3 spring set up.

This topic reminds me why I block mine...I dont miss a floating trem...and love my Robert Cray strat even more!

SteveG

I am undecided if I am going to block the trem on my ongoing Strat project, or get a (black) Wilkinson replacement and actually learn to use one! My daughter has an Ibanez with a floating trem, I HATE it! Nice neck, good sound, but I cant do a full bend without it sounding off key. Trems .... not sure.

Sprocket

Quote from: SteveG on July 13, 2009, 07:50:28 PMI am undecided if I am going to block the trem on my ongoing Strat project, or get a (black) Wilkinson replacement and actually learn to use one! My daughter has an Ibanez with a floating trem, I HATE it! Nice neck, good sound, but I cant do a full bend without it sounding off key. Trems .... not sure.

That full bend is telling you spring tension isnt tight enough...you need another spring and/or to tighten those two screws previously mentioned.
That is another thing, I loath about floaters(espeically for performing artists)...you break a string in a live set...your whole tuning(of the 5 strings left) is out the window.

An Ibanez is going to have a well engineered product...usually with a locking nut and fine tuners on the bridge. If you dont like what shes got(unless not equipt with these features) then I wouldnt imagine a Wilki to do much more than empty your pocket.
I hear great things about Wilkinson...but its just better heavier materials machined to more exact tolerances...you are still going to have the same issues(it may sustain better). A floating trem is a balancing act, regardless of manufacture.
Id suggest the low dough method, block it, try it, thank me later.

FWIW, you all dont know me, but while I was trying to get my fingers and brain to work together, I spent alot of time learning about set ups and repair(40 hours a week for 3 years to be exact)...having worked in a bicycle shop for 7 years, I know simple machines and how to fix them(its really all just patience and learning...and tools!). Ive owned over 20 guitars in the last 3 years...I buy low and sell high(craigslist), and now I have a fine stable(of 5, I want no more)...I learned alot along the way. I now do string changes, set ups, repair and other tech work for a 6 piece band with 3 guitarist(with 10 guitars)...Im there all the time, I may as well be a roadie too. But this also affords me opritunity to jam with an established band on a weekly basis...if somebody is out sick I can "try" and fill in for the evening(practice only)...this is what I do, this is my passion, and why I am called "Sprocket". I would work in this field if I werent affraid it would ruin my hobby like working in bike shops ruined my passion for cycling.

64Guitars

Quote from: SteveG on July 13, 2009, 07:50:28 PMI am undecided if I am going to block the trem on my ongoing Strat project, or get a (black) Wilkinson replacement and actually learn to use one! My daughter has an Ibanez with a floating trem, I HATE it! Nice neck, good sound, but I cant do a full bend without it sounding off key. Trems .... not sure.

I have an Ibanez with a floating tremolo too. It was always going out of tune on string bends, especially the G string. I discovered that it would return to the correct pitch if I did a quick press and release on the whammy bar. For years I never really understood why. Then one day it dawned on me that the strings were sticking in the nut on string bends, so they didn't return to the original pitch. The quick press and release of the whammy bar allowed the strings to overcome the resistance in the nut and return to the correct pitch. So I bought some Big Bends Nut Sauce and applied it to the nut. Now the Ibanez stays tuned. It wasn't the floating tremolo that was the problem. It was the nut.

So, before you decide what to do with the tremolo on your Strat project, try some Big Bends Nut Sauce (or other suitable lubricant) in the nut of your Strat and your daughter's Ibanez. You might just decide to leave the Strat's tremolo alone instead of blocking it or replacing it. And even if you decide that you're still not happy with the existing tremolo on your Strat, a big improvement in your daughter's Ibanez might persuade you to replace the Strat's existing tremolo rather than block it.

And, if you find that lubricating the nut improves the tuning considerably, you might want to consider replacing the nut with a Graph Tech TUSQ XL self-lubricating nut. It has Teflon in it to reduce string binding.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Sprocket

Quote from: SteveG on July 13, 2009, 07:50:28 PMbut I cant do a full bend without it sounding off key.

As much as I agree that alot of tuning stability and trems is based on nut friction and how helpful lube is to stability...Im pretty sure hes saying the bend itself is out of key, meaning spring tension...the balancing act. You bend the string and the whole bridge moves forward and dives...only allowing you a 1/2 bend at best...Im pretty sure this is why everybody else recommends 5 springs and slams the bridge plate. But if youre going to use the arm, 4 springs will do the samething, and it wont be so tough to move.

Curious if youre bending out of key? Do a double stop bend, bend the upper string with your ring finger and hold the other note with your pinky, strike the double stop and bend...what did the other note do? Did it go out of tune and then back in as you released your bend?