New guitar

Started by Bro, July 13, 2009, 11:59:04 AM

SteveG

2B I seem to remember, and don't just draw a line, get a fair bit in there. I seem to remember someone saying chapstick (For dry lips) will work well too, but have never tried it.

Sprocket

Quote from: 0jimihendrix0 on July 13, 2009, 12:33:56 PMWell folks, I'd like some clearer advice on what you said on the headstock, and some grease for the nut? I didn't really get that. It's not a affinity strat, or what you called it, or at least the headstock said it isn't. Looking forward to hear a answer..

Btw the loose connection, i've found the reason, all the wiring looks stabile but the 2 "behind the input jack stick". and it just needs some.. (jeez how do you say that in english) you know, you take some sort of metal, melt it, and affect it to the area where you need to wires "glued" togheter? A kind of metal glue? Hope you understood it :) thanks for the help :)

That IS an Affinity Strat...its not a Deluxe, Standard or...other model.(it actually should say affinity on the very end, which you have not included in the headstock pic)
There is nothing wrong with them, as you stated, the tuners are the only issue...and still not much of an issue if you just work with them and aware of their weakness.

I always hear or read of people suggesting graphite or pencil lead...but Ive got what appears to be a teflon white grease called Nut Sauce or something similar...and now Im not totally convinced it needs to be a dry lube for a plastic nut, or even on a bone nut.
You just need to keep the strings from binding in the slots...thats where almost all tuning issues come from on a Strat.

Sprocket

Quotedon't look like a floating trem to me ....

He has no strings on it...so of course its slammed. But even if he did have strings on it, to float it would take 2-3mm, could you really see that from the pic?

Bro

Quote from: SteveG on July 13, 2009, 12:48:13 PM2B I seem to remember, and don't just draw a line, get a fair bit in there. I seem to remember someone saying chapstick (For dry lips) will work well too, but have never tried it.
Okay great! I'l' try to find a 2B but shouldn't a 4b or so do the job?
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

SteveB

JHX - I've only heard a couple of your MP3 uploads, but that is enough to convince me, (Given your stipulated age), that you really have the makings of a VERY good guitar player, Lord knows where you might be in your musical development in 10 years time! Good luck with the progression. What I feel is (Though given your age you won't take a blind bit of notice), is that you shouldn't NEED all the flash-harry pyrotechnics, because you're probably already better than that. However, given that you will probably pummel the life out of your Squier Strat, and really will want to dive-bomb all day and night  ;D - one way of helping out, is to take the back plate off (Plastic on back of guitar), and see how many springs are attached to the trem-block? There are usually 3, but if you put 5 on, it will help maintain tuning while using the trem in a Hendrix-or-Blackmore-type-of-fashion. Springs can be bought from music shops. I had a Squier Strat, and it was a very good guitar.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Bro

Quote from: Sprocket on July 13, 2009, 12:50:42 PM
Quotedon't look like a floating trem to me ....

He has no strings on it...so of course its slammed. But even if he did have strings on it, to float it would take 2-3mm, could you really see that from the pic?
It's not floating, it only goes down..
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Bro

Okay steveB I'll try buying some springs, mine only has 3.

Sprocket

Quote from: 0jimihendrix0 on July 13, 2009, 12:55:23 PMOkay steveB I'll try buying some springs, mine only has 3.

Im a big fan of 5 springs and blocking it with a piece of wood...never using the trem at all. I think you would be surprised at the number of people who do this.
Without a trem there, you find all sorts of other useful tools to express yourself.
I find a trem to be a crutch....although some kinds of music, do demand the use of one...but I could still get away, make due without one.(think: slides instead of dives) 

SteveG

Quote from: Sprocket on July 13, 2009, 12:58:36 PM
Quote from: 0jimihendrix0 on July 13, 2009, 12:55:23 PMOkay steveB I'll try buying some springs, mine only has 3.

Im a big fan of 5 springs and blocking it with a piece of wood...never using the trem at all. I think you would be surprised at the number of people who do this.
Without a trem there, you find all sorts of other useful tools to express yourself.
I find a trem to be a crutch....although some kinds of music, do demand the use of one...but I could still get away, make due without one.(think: slides instead of dives) 

Keith? Is that you? How's Mick?

Sprocket

QuoteKeith? Is that you? How's Mick?

Nope, but I do own a Tele...Im still reaching trying to understand the(Stones)reference?