New guitar

Started by Bro, July 13, 2009, 11:59:04 AM

Bro

This is my new, or it was my first electric guitar back in the day, squire stratocaster, i paid 30 dollars for it. It's quite nice, the pickups will have to do the strat sound for me, it needs new machine heads, it doesn't stay in tune very well when using the tremolo. So i think I'll buy some locking machine heads (Thats the right thing to do when it does not stay in tune.. right?) Anyway, it has a loose connection somewhere and therefore it's not really playable yet, but lets se, new machine heads, and a quick set up plus a repair should do the job. But for now I'm just exited over having a other guitar :D Any advice on anything else i might want to change?
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

SteveG

Is it an Affinity? Does it go out of tune when you use the trem, cos that all do that! Are the strings binding in the nut? Soft pencil (graphite) in the slots will help that. Change and stretch the strings before spending on heads.

Congrats on the new axe :)

Sprocket

Can I caution you or make some suggestions.
I see its a Squier Affinity Strat...and they are great guitars, but because its entry level it gives people ideas that the quality is lacking, such as tuning stability...like its the guitars fault, its not, and it can stay in tune if you take a few steps, that should cost you nothing!

For starters...you took all the strings off, thats gonna effect tuning for weeks with a floating trem. ALWAYS leave ONE on if you float your trem...even if you dont have a trem the neck tension will appreciate it and tuning will be less of an issue.

Id suggest blocking the trem and never using it. Itll go out of tune far less...and string changes wont be so difficult.

Your loose connection? Id take the jack cup off and look at the two wires there, maybe hit it with a soldering iron if you find/think the connection is bad or could be improved.
If your pots are scratchy some electronics LUBE will clean them(and your switch connections) right up.
But Id like to know specifically what happens that gives the impression there is a loose connection and maybe I can help you determine whats the cause.

The machine heads are your weakest link, but still very workable...I really wouldnt spend much on machine heads...if at all. Id make due and rock whatchu got!

My advice to you, or anybody in your shoes.
What youve got there is a very affordable guitar...you can do no wrong...learn on this guitar, learn how to fix all of your own issues on this...as it will help you make future purchasing decisions, based on what features are important to you...and you will be able to work on it yourself without fear of causing any damage.
I learned all of this on a Squier Standard Telecaster...and then a Squier Deluxe Strat...and later a MIM Standard Strat.

BTW a lil bit of graphite or a dry grease/lube in the nut slots will go along way towards tuning stability.
And dive bombs and trem use will always effect tunning...I still fail to understand how locking tuners remedy this...its nothing like a locking nut, and that IS what you need for dive bombs.

Bro

Well folks, I'd like some clearer advice on what you said on the headstock, and some grease for the nut? I didn't really get that. It's not a affinity strat, or what you called it, or at least the headstock said it isn't. Looking forward to hear a answer..

Btw the loose connection, i've found the reason, all the wiring looks stabile but the 2 "behind the input jack stick". and it just needs some.. (jeez how do you say that in english) you know, you take some sort of metal, melt it, and affect it to the area where you need to wires "glued" togheter? A kind of metal glue? Hope you understood it :) thanks for the help :)
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

SteveB

JHX - The word you're looking for is 'Solder'. Of which there are 2 types. Acid & Resin.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

SteveG

Solder.

And the graphite. You can buy it in a tube to put in the slots of the nut, under the strings, to lubricate them and stop them sticking. If they do stick, as soon as you use the trem or bend they will move, and detune. A soft pencil will do the same job, just loosen the string, move it from the slot, and rub some pencil lead into the slot.

Bro

Quote from: SteveB on July 13, 2009, 12:38:07 PMJHX - The word you're looking for is 'Solder'. Of which there are 2 types. Acid & Resin.
Thanks! I didn't even know it was called that. Not exactly the stuff we talk about in my english class :D

Geir

Quote from: Sprocket on July 13, 2009, 12:23:44 PMFor starters...you took all the strings off, thats gonna effect tuning for weeks with a floating trem. ALWAYS leave ONE on if you float your trem...even if you dont have a trem the neck tension will appreciate it and tuning will be less of an issue.
don't look like a floating trem to me ....

QuoteAnd dive bombs and trem use will always effect tunning...I still fail to understand how locking tuners remedy this...its nothing like a locking nut, and that IS what you need for dive bombs.
So true, just listen to Jimi Hendrix's live recordings  :D ::)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bro

Quote from: SteveG on July 13, 2009, 12:38:18 PMSolder.

And the graphite. You can buy it in a tube to put in the slots of the nut, under the strings, to lubricate them and stop them sticking. If they do stick, as soon as you use the trem or bend they will move, and detune. A soft pencil will do the same job, just loosen the string, move it from the slot, and rub some pencil lead into the slot.
Thanks, so i take the pencil and draw where the string goes though the nut? Will a 4B do the job? or do i need something even softer? Thanks again.

64Guitars

Get some Big Bends Nut Sauce. It works great. I use it on all of my guitars.

http://www.bigbends.com/

Available in many music shops.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track