Zoom 4040--any good?

Started by StevieM, July 11, 2009, 12:28:30 PM

StevieM

Just looking at a Zoom 4040 that's not too expensive. Anyone know if they're any good?
I'd appreciate any answers by tomorrow, only got 'till then to decide.
Cheers guys.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

SteveB

STM - Excuse my equipment ignorance, but what is a Zoom 4040? I don't know what your recording set-up is at the moment, but if you are thinking of moving up in Recording-Machine league, don't make short cuts to save few £s, $s, or €s. You've seen and heard first hand here on this Forum just what these Boss recorders can do, so moving away to another manufacturer may disappoint you in the sound department, and also present you will a completely new learning curve.

Good luck anyway.

Just as an aside, does anyone know of other Forums for other manufacturers' recorders??
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

StevieM

Nope, not recording stuff Steve, it's an effects peddle. Maybe I should have put that in??

Change recorders? I still don't know how to work the MBR properly, I'm not putting myself through ANOTHER learning thing yet, my brain can only take so much in at a time( and then only very slowly) ;D
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

SteveB

STM - I'm not conversant with the Micro-BR at all, does it contain guitar-effects patches? Are these not enough for your needs? Or are you thinking of live work, or just for the heck of having more effects to choose from?
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

StevieM

Yep, there's some really good patches, but this's got pedals too!!!
 I was looking to get a wah/cry baby, this does that, and loads more.

SteveB

STM - Well, good luck with that. Just to put you in the picture for some of the goodies on the larger BRs. On the 1200 for instance, you can attach a expression pedal and control the internal wah-effect in real-time, thus negating the need for messy external wiring with the incidence of added hum etc.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

StevieM

Hummmm, very tempting,I'd love to have one, but I think I could be in a tad of trouble with the domestic  accountant, and seeing as i'm married to her, not a good idea ;D
One day maybe.

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tangled Wires

Hi Steve,

I recently brought a Digitech RP250 multi effects unit which is very good, and has a pedal which creates a very good wah effect. and retails for around £130 i think.

I used it on one of the tracks I recorded and posted on here recently.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

If it's this one you mean :

well I've got one. It's an OLD system and you get much better value for money if you get something newer.

The wah and volume are not too good on the 4040 because of low resolution on the pedals

cheers
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........