BR 1600 (and Sibling) Capabilities

Started by Blooby, July 09, 2009, 03:59:15 PM

guitarron

Quote from: SteveB on July 10, 2009, 05:32:25 AMThe Loop Phrase function takes up a stereo track.

A Drums-Loop CD is included with the machine, but the sounds are already installed on the hard-drive. The CD can be used to re-install the sounds.

Hope that will help until Blooby returns.

thanks SteveB
i wonder how that works?-do you copy loops to the track?-or does it sort work like the arranger

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

Blooby......

Sorry......

I have to Comment On your Style.........

This showcases your abilities, and F**KING HELL!!!!!!!  You are AMAZING!!!!!

Screw the Br1639039 or whatever.....

Bass seemed a little robotic...... Needs some flaws in it......
Tiz the nature of bass..... It dont take a brake for it's fingers to bleed!

But it does keep bloody good time!

Flash......... ? What you Think..........?

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

SteveB

Quote from: guitarron on July 10, 2009, 06:38:53 PMthanks SteveB
i wonder how that works?-do you copy loops to the track?-or does it sort work like the arranger

GTR - Yep, exactly, you copy the Loops to the track, where you can edit them etc. On the 1200, they get around the lack of stereo tracks by having the Drums & the Loops on the same stereo track 9/10, but you can alter the volume on both the Drums, and the Loop to get a decent feel. I think PDG & BB have both said (They've both got the 1200. And obviously this will apply even more to the 1600), that this is their ultimate machine. I have nothing against the smaller versions of the BR family, (The 864 was the smallest when I started, and that's the model I started with), but once you've got your hands on one of these Big-Beasts, and realise the potential they have for helping to expand your recording regime, you wouldn't willingly go back to the smaller versions in my opinion. (If you find me missing, I've been the subject of a 'Hit' by those from ther Micro-BR thread!  ;D )
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

guitarron

thank you for the concise answers steve and blooby

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Quote from: osckilo on July 10, 2009, 09:03:40 PMScrew the Br1639039 or whatever.....

Ha! I feel that way sometimes - We fear what we don't understand.. :D

Quote from: SteveB on July 10, 2009, 10:42:20 PM(If you find me missing, I've been the subject of a 'Hit' by those from ther Micro-BR thread!  ;D )

Be careful, you are under the radar of the MIA (MicroBr Intelligence Agency)  :o
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

guitarron

curiuos-tell about the mic models-have you ever used them?
how are they used?

also, are there track mutes on the BR1600?

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

Yes, there are track mutes.  To the right of the faders is a "Track Mute" button.  You press it and then press the button underneath the fader of the corresponding track you wish to mute.  Embarrassingly, I didn't know about them until I decided to re-read the manual on Friday.  Didn't even notice the button was there.  Doh!

Don't know about the mic models, and because I'm not a strong vocalist (see "howling dogs"), I'm not sure if I'm the person to ask.  I will try to look into it, though.

Blooby

*edit - Found the blurb below in a review at http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_bossbrcd/.

I also tried out the Mic Converter (mic modeling) effect, which is designed to take a signal recorded with one type of mic and imbue it with the sonic characteristics of another. To use the Mic Converter effect, select a mic from the Input list that matches your actual recording mic as closely as possible. Then choose a modeled output mic from a generic list, which includes everything from small and large dynamics to small, large, and vintage condensers.

In testing the Mic Converter effect, I heard mostly high-end boosts on some of the settings and midrange cuts on others. The modeler did change the color of the sound, and that option may prove handy if your vocal track isn't sitting well in your mix. But I found this feature to be more of a curiosity than a must-have tool.

SteveB, thanks for chiming in.  Have you loaded any 3rd party loops into your 1200?

guitarron

Mutes are a must have in my opinion extremely useful if you need to ever comp tracks
- i dont have them on th 600

hmm..

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: guitarron on July 12, 2009, 11:23:03 AMMutes are a must have in my opinion extremely useful if you need to ever comp tracks
- i dont have them on th 600

Yes, you do!!!   The button is labeled "DELETE/MUTE" and it's located directly under the MASTER fader. Just hold it down while pressing the track button of the track you wish to mute (same as BR-1600). Don't worry about the word "DELETE". That only applies to drum machine pattern editing. It allows you to delete a drum sound from a pattern. When you're not in pattern editing mode, it won't delete anything.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

SteveB

Quote from: Blooby on July 12, 2009, 11:14:01 AMSteveB, thanks for chiming in.  Have you loaded any 3rd party loops into your 1200?

BBY - I haven't even used the ones installed on the 1200!! :(
No, I tell a lie. I've used drum machines both internal and external on my songs, but then you come to the loops,  which really do sound too 'live' for me, and so I haven't included them on anything I've recorded. Y'see, like I've said before, this technology is all wonderful, but sometimes it's just a little too much and actually gets in the way of the creative process. Listening to PDG, BSZ, BB etc, and yourself with your finished products in the bigger BR threads provides some wonderful listening. But then you look at the ratio between finished products between the 1600/1200 & the Micro-BR thread and you think, hold on, something seems slightly awry here. I wouldn't swap my 1200 (or 900) for the smaller models, but I wish I could produce stuff as quickly, varied, and as professional as some of the Posters with their Micros etc.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon