"Birth of the Sun" by The Stan Laurels (Two Mixes: One With Drums, One Without)

Started by Bosko Schwartz, July 08, 2009, 02:23:05 PM

Bosko Schwartz

Thanks, Tharek! ;D  Glad you like the second mix as well!

Thanks, Diego!  I agree, I like the version with drums better because of the added dynamics.  Wow, I'm honored to be an honorary adopted Latino brother!

SteveB, I will definitely check out the War of the Worlds thing soon.  As for the dilemma, I don't think it's much of one.  True, in the beginning, I thought there were problems with the drums, which is why I did this alternative mix a year or so ago.  But I have since tweaked the drums to my liking and I just think they work better with the song.  The drumless mix to me sounds sort of ... cheap, or something.  Generic.  Not sure.  One thing I do like about it is that all of the other instruments are much, much more clear.  But I think what is added by the drums makes up for it.  I do appreciate the fact that you like both versions, though.  Feel free to keep this version and add it as your own personal "Bonus Track" at the end of the album!  If it's any consolation -- and I know it isn't -- I kept the alternative percussion and it makes a surprise appearance toward the end of the album.  By the way, I'd love to hear what you think of the other tracks I've posted.  Your comments on the two songs you've heard are so in-depth and thoughtful; I'd like to see how you feel the others fit into the album as well.

BB, thank you so much for your extremely kind and undeserved words.  As for the possible third mix, inter-cutting the two different percussion tracks, I would like to do it for you, but in thinking about it, it would actually be an extremely time-consuming endeavor.  Maybe one day I will, but for now, I hope you are content with this alternative version which you can keep and do with what you wish.  See reply to SteveB for more on this.

Frank!  How was your vacation?  Good to have you back!  Thanks so much for the kind words!  Yes, definitely live drums, acoustic -- much like you, I started out as "just" a drummer, then taught myself the rest.

Thanks, Geir!  I always appreciate your words!

Jim, thank you!  As I said to SteveB, feel free to make this your own bonus track, but I won't be including it on the album.  Only because it's a concept album and a bonus track would disturb the rhythm and flow.  Any Flaming Lips reference is much appreciated!!! ;D ;D ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

guitarron

Bosko
Just having another listen-this song is fucking HUGE

this very inspiring to me-i've needed it-thanks

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Geir

As I mentioned in the thread "Believe it or Not ... I AM FINISHED" I've been listening to all the songs you've posted here again this weekend and I LOVE THEM ALL !!!

This song grabbed me right from the intro! Love the dreamy feeling it creates. The way you build it up in the next two stages is perfect. Love the way the drums come in, and your drumming and that triplet fill  at 3:15 is spice at the right place! Haven't noticed this before but on this one I almost get a Ringo feel at times from the drums. (A good thing in my book, because tho' he may not be the most technically skilled drummer, he did some brilliant things in company of those other 3 guys).

It's a beautiful song. It's a kinda sad melody, but still it leaves a good feeling. The harmonies are warm and airy and the way that "flute" is there in the back almost all through the song and glues everything nicely together is art my friend!

MY only concern (that goes for all your songs), is that I can't comment on your lyrics. But I think you can relax on this matter, I often have trouble getting the lyrics, English isn't my first tongue you know, and I usually get distracted by the music anyway  :D
I hope you print the lyrics on the CD tho' !!

As to drums or not; I love both versions, I'd keep the drums but as suggested, maybe adding the one without as a bonus!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bosko Schwartz

Thanks, Ron!  That's a HUGE compliment! ;D

Thanks a lot, Geir! :D  Hmm, as huge a Beatles fan as I am, I can't hear much of a Ringo influence on my drumming, myself.  Probably because I play a lot slower and louder than him, generally speaking.  But as you said, he's not the most technically skilled drummer, but he is a Beatle, and every bit as important as the other three.  Some people scoff at Ringo's lack of technical abilities, but if you think about it, there is no other drummer that would have fit The Beatles better, whether in terms of personality or musical style.  If The Beatles had a really technically badass drummer like, say, Bill Bruford, I wouldn't like them nearly as much.  Which is odd, because Bruford is practically my favorite drummer, and I love Yes & King Crimson.  But Ringo fit The Beatles better than anyone.  Ringo is a really solid rock drummer, for sure, so I will take any Beatles-based compliment I can get!

I agree, the one with drums is the album cut.  I won't be able to put a bonus track on this album, as it will disrupt the flow, being a concept album.  But you can keep this track and add it yourself to the album via iPod if you wish!

Yes, I hear the minor chord progression/melody and agree it can sound melancholy, but hopefully the words cheer it up a bit.  Since you can't understand my jumbled jargon (who can?), I will list the lyrics for you:

Behind the wall of black
There is an amber glow
The wall begins to crack
The light begins to show
Never did I know
That you would bring me life

The sweet wind blows
The warm hue grows
And I am inside
Your shiny haze
The darkness fades
No more daze, no gloom
I am in bloom

Your rays surround my soul
And lift me to the sky
Your purity I extol
Your beauty makes me cry
There's no more wonder why
You would bring me life

The sweet wind blows
The warm hue grows
And I am inside
Your shiny haze
The darkness fades
No more daze, no gloom
I am in bloom

I thank the stars above
You're here to bring us LOVE

(I wanted the very last word on my album to be LOVE – I guess I'm a sentimental fool.)  ;D

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

OsCKilO

Must say again.... Re the Drum Track.....

These drums are Awesome....

I Love the way that the track becomes "More Organic" as it goes on!

The synth start makes you think "Hmmm....", Then it Just "EXPLODES" into musical Goodness!!!!!!!!!

I keep coming back to this one...

It is like a big "F*ck you" to all that mass produced crap thats out there these days!

Peace

T(Osckilo)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

cuthbert

Pardon my language, but THIS IS FUCKING GREAT!!

Reminds me of the Beatles and the Apples in Stereo or Olivia Tremor Control. Are you signed with Elephant 6? You should be!

I liked the drums version, and perhaps the non-drums version a little bit better. Maybe you'd want to consider a bit more sparse drum track, but with the same dynamics?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: osckilo on July 15, 2009, 08:03:17 PMMust say again.... Re the Drum Track.....

These drums are Awesome....

I Love the way that the track becomes "More Organic" as it goes on!

The synth start makes you think "Hmmm....", Then it Just "EXPLODES" into musical Goodness!!!!!!!!!

I keep coming back to this one...

It is like a big "F*ck you" to all that mass produced crap thats out there these days!

Peace

T(Osckilo)

Thanks again, T!  Yes, definitely a big F you to the suits, in the most sentimental way! ;D :D ;D

Quote from: cuthbert on July 15, 2009, 08:54:11 PMPardon my language, but THIS IS FUCKING GREAT!!

Reminds me of the Beatles and the Apples in Stereo or Olivia Tremor Control. Are you signed with Elephant 6? You should be!

I liked the drums version, and perhaps the non-drums version a little bit better. Maybe you'd want to consider a bit more sparse drum track, but with the same dynamics?

WOW, thanks, cuthbert!!  Any Elephant 6 reference (especially Apples) is a HUGE compliment to me!  Maybe I should try to get on the label ... :-\

Normally, I would, but I have stepped aside and put all songs on the shelf for mastering.  Sure, I could tweak them to death even more, because I am truly never satisfied.  But I have tweaked the most minor details of each song for 3 long years of my life and it's time to say no.  Obsessing over mixes is like crack -- addictive, dangerous, and can really F you up in the long run. ;D

Ferryman

Bosko, I love the lyrics to this. Just spottted them, I don't hear well so I can never make out lyrics. Thanks for posting!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bosko Schwartz

Thanks, Nigel! ;D  Had to go all sentimental with this one, since it's written for my son.  Also part of the concept album, so it had to have a double-meaning, referring to the actually Sun.  Hopefully it worked out!