"Birth of the Sun" by The Stan Laurels (Two Mixes: One With Drums, One Without)

Started by Bosko Schwartz, July 08, 2009, 02:23:05 PM

OsCKilO

Damn J

This is Awesome.......

Everything about it is right....

Just Everything.....

Am working on a track Called "Tears from the Sun" (former title "Cry") at the moment.....  I stress that i didn't steal the title.....Lol

Again, this is a truely epic tune........

Everything......I mean everything is great about it ........perfect even!

Rough?

bloody hell....... !

You must have a very tidy sock draw!!!!!!! LoL

But this is where your greatness comes from... Forever seeking perfection.....

Not a bad thing at all judging by this track!

Peace Bro

T
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Greeny

Well, I was always going to like this. Hell - even the title appeals to me big time. Right... 4 listens on....

As always, so much to take in and digest. I love the way you structure (or should that be DON'T structure your songs?!). There's no way that this is a rough mix. It sounds full, complete and wonderful. And I have to tell you that I absolutely love it. There's so much here that I'd like to do myself but don't have the gear or talent to emulate. I love the keyboard intro and ongoing fills. It's perfectly dreamy in a Strawberry Fields kind of way. And I think you have the vocal tone spot on. Not only spot on, but deliberately psychedelic. I know exactly what you were after, and you nailed it: the sound of waking from a beautiful dream.

The backing vocals work very nicely too. I think they're understated in a good way that doesn't distract, but just supports the main vocal like a nice comfortable pillow. I wouldn't add any further lushness to them - just my opinion.

The proper drums and bass are just perfect - again, lol.

I can hear the Beatles here, but then there's another of my favourite albums - Piper at the Gates of Dawn by the mighty Floyd. I can hear some Barrett-era stuff going on, but you soften the darker edges of that somehow.

Damn, I love it. You may not be able to hear it yet, but it's immense.

I'm buying this album.

p.s. I don't hear and understand all the production niggles etc... I just get drawn in by a song and the way it sounds. If it sounds right, it is right. That's just the way I work. So you don't get insightful production tips from me I'm afraid.

SteveB

BSZ - Again, that intro is eerily reminiscent of War Of The Worlds, in the sense that it is the type of musical-feel that links the different segments of the the whole. If this song, too, is to be included in your song cycle, then it certainly won't suffer from having that bridging ambience to it. The song playing and production (on monitors and cans), are as one with the other song of yours I've listened to, that is, flawless.
But now, a suggestion, have you listened to this mix without the drums? There is something nagging about this which I can't place. Could you upload a 'drumless' mix for aural perusal? I'm not deliberately being an awkward cuss, but if there's a doubt somewhere, then at least allow yourself the luxury of having the evidence tested before a final committment. Er, tell me to bugger-off by the way if you wish.  :)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Bluesberry

Quote from: Greeny on July 09, 2009, 03:46:27 AMIt's perfectly dreamy in a Strawberry Fields kind of way. And I think you have the vocal tone spot on. Not only spot on, but deliberately psychedelic. I know exactly what you were after, and you nailed it: the sound of waking from a beautiful dream.
Maybe Greeny's got it right and that was the vocal effect that I was freaking about.  You are waking from a beautiful dream, end of story, if that was your intention then I applaud you.  And you know when I wake from a beautiful dream, I always have an uneasy feeling as the dream fades and the world around me solidifies, and I have that in the middle of the two, I want to stay in the dream, reality is calling, I want to stay in bed all day, but can't.  That was the feeling I got, so if this is it, then you are a genius good sir, you made me feel exactly like this, waking from a beautiful dream.  All the great John Lennon songs along this line, "I am only sleeping", "Rain", Strawberry fields", "Here comes the sun king", etc...,  this is the feeling I get here, which is why I said most Beatles sounding, I should have said most John Lennon-dream scape sounding. Thanks to Greeny for clarifying that, it makes sense now, and I am in awe that you could pull that off.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

This is f*cking awesome...It reminds me of the first time I heard Sgt Pepper
sorry I don't feel able to comment on the mixing....
I love the way it comes at you in waves
I am now listening again on cans and its even Better!

Flash Harry

one of the things I like about all your music is the percussion. It's fantastic. The rest is excellent but I think that your drumming is superb. It's makes such a huge difference to a track, to have a proper drummer.

This is another great track from your growing back catalog.

If I was to make any suggestion it would be that a bit of delay on your vocals wouldn't go amis. Nothing as much as John Lennon used to use, but just a bit. It would just thicken up the vox.

It's another fine addition to the album. Good luck with finding a promoter.

BTW, another ace track.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman

Hi Bosko, just a quick comment. Listened to it on my "radio mix" crappy speakers today and it sounds great. Whetever you do don't lose any bottom end, it comes across just right on the poor quality speakers. Always a sign you've gt things right in my book.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

guitarron

Bosko
this is really great-the vocals  are superb
really can't do better than live drums
a masterful mix-really good music

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

btw-this is kind of a ghost town-i'm just finally hearing this

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Diego Ayala

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 08, 2009, 05:27:19 PMThe flute sound is the "Tron Flute" patch on my Roland Juno-D synth with almost no tweaking[/b].  Not sure what "Tron" refers to, but I named one of my songs "Tron" just because the sound alone inspired me to write an intro -- maybe I'll post that one soon.  It's one of my favorite sounds in the world; I used it all over the album, including two others I posted here.  I like how it doesn't sound exactly like a real flute.  

Bosko,
I was reading one of my posts - was looking for a flutist - or flute sounding sound, and was told  that your newest song had some flute...  When I 1st heard the song was wondering what you used, and the flute sound added a lot to it.  It is realy a beautiful song/composition - the sound was excellent --- I'll be downloading it to my library & give it a listen with my stereo.

Was looking for some collaboration on some of my songs needing some flute work.  Have one volunteer so far --- let me know if you would be interested  - I am not in any rush, so...

D