Krautrock - Love it or Loathe it, or never heard of it?

Started by Ferryman, July 08, 2009, 07:54:16 AM

Bosko Schwartz

I'm in danger of exposing myself here, but although I have definitely heard OF Kraftwerk and of how important they are to electronic music and music in general, I have never actually heard them ... or any Krautrock, really. :-\

I am almost exclusively of English and German descent -- just about half and half.  I have the English side pretty well covered, but the German side ... call me clueless! ???

I have a fairly extensive musical vocabulary and I'm pretty proud of it, so it really pains me to admit this. :-[  But honesty is crucial!
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

64Guitars

Quote from: Bluesberry on July 08, 2009, 08:45:39 AMI guess I don't have any krautrock faves after all, just Gary Numan and DEVO, and they don't count.  You need good German bands.  Put me in the "never heard of it, maybe just barely category"

Bluesberry: I've read that Wilco were influenced by this Krautrock band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5316ZsVYSs

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bluesberry

Nice one 64G, actually Wilco did one kinda Krautrock song "Spiders (kidsmoke)", from A Ghost is Born album which sounds like this, and I was going to mention that one, but well, I felt like I didn't know what the hell I was talking about so I didn't.  Thanks for letting me remember this.  And yes, I do adore Wilco, so I guess I am into Krautrock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1xxBqXWGLE

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Geir

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 08, 2009, 10:50:13 AMI'm in danger of exposing myself here, but although I have definitely heard OF Kraftwerk and of how important they are to electronic music and music in general, I have never actually heard them ... or any Krautrock, really. :-\
I have a fairly extensive musical vocabulary and I'm pretty proud of it, so it really pains me to admit this. :-[  But honesty is crucial!
I'm in the same category Bosko. And still some of the songs I've posted here got comments that I reminded of Can .... and maybe some other krautrock Bands, can't remember right now :)  ... maybe just my Norwegian accent that sends that vibe (well the songs were kinda ..... different than my usual style (whatever that is)) ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 08, 2009, 10:50:13 AMI'm in danger of exposing myself here, but although I have definitely heard OF Kraftwerk and of how important they are to electronic music and music in general, I have never actually heard them ... or any Krautrock, really. :-\

Surely you've heard "Autobahn"!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m99057ibDAU

German lyrics:

Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal
Die Sonne scheint mit Glitzerstrahl

Die Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
Weisse Streifen, gruener Rand

Jetzt schalten wir ja das Radio an
Aus dem Lautsprecher klingt es dann:
Wir fah'rn auf der Autobahn...
    English translation:

We are driving on the Autobahn

In front of us is a wide valley
The sun is shining with glittering rays

The driving strip is a grey track
White stripes, green edge

We are switching the radio on
From the speaker it sounds:
We are driving on the Autobahn

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ferryman

Quote from: Bluesberry on July 08, 2009, 01:24:35 PMNice one 64G, actually Wilco did one kinda Krautrock song "Spiders (kidsmoke)", from A Ghost is Born album which sounds like this, and I was going to mention that one, but well, I felt like I didn't know what the hell I was talking about so I didn't.  Thanks for letting me remember this.  And yes, I do adore Wilco, so I guess I am into Krautrock.

Wow yes, lot of Krautrock influence in there. That repetitive bass/drum feel is called "motorik", supposed to be representative of driving along (Kraftwerk's Autobahn also has this approach, supposedly ripped off from Neu!). And the guitar soloing over it is very Can/Neu-ish. Those nice big chord seqeuences are a bit different though.

BTW, Johnny Rotten was supposedly into Can and Krautrock.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR