Greeny's Show???

Started by Bosko Schwartz, July 07, 2009, 09:47:13 AM

OsCKilO

Quote from: Greeny on July 07, 2009, 10:10:34 AMHope you recognise me with my stage clobber on....  :D :D :D

He dressed just the same!!!!!

His set was Freaking awesome.....

Review on his muder of crows post............
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Davo

To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ferryman

So I'll post my review here, as Tharek's is in another thread. Tim played three songs at an open mic evening at a pub near Guildford. It was an excellent evening, the other acts we saw were of a high quality, especially a couple of young girl singers, one of whom was 14 and sounded really, really good. Tim had to follow her, which was a bit tough. But as you would expect, he did a great job and absolutely excelled. He played "Cracks In The Glaze" (a particular fave of mine), "Weight Of Your Life" and a third song whose name I can't remember but it was the catchiest one of the three.

Tim said afterwards he felt a bit rusty but it didn't show. His playing was polished and his vocals always spot on and overall he sounded great and got a good reception. The "random punter" that Tharek mentions in the other thread that complimented Tim was one of the other performers who was pretty good himself, so that's well deserved praise.

Two things that really stood out for me. First, Tim's voice. It really is as good as it sounds on his recordings. Even in a pub with a small PA, it sounded absolutely fantastic. I had been chatting with Tim before he played, and as soon as he started singing my reaction was "Wow, where did that voice come from?" He sounds like an ordinary person when you talk to him, but when he sings it's like something has taken him over. No processing or special effects needed, just great, straight from the heart powerful vocals.

Second thing was his guitar playing. There were two types of guitarists at the open mic - finger pickers or strummers. Nothing wrong with that, it was an open mic, all pretty much acoustic guitar and vox. And some of them were very good. Tim was unique in that he has a hybrid style in that he mainly strums but he interweaves a lot of single and multiple string melodies (almost, but not quite lead) into his playing. This makes him much more interesting musically for the listener IMO than the more traditional approaches that the others employed. One of the benefits of being self taught I guess, in that Tim has developed his own quite unique style. And that really stood out in his playing, particularly on the third track.

So it was great to see a forum member in the flesh and hear them play live, and even better when they were damn brilliant as well! I also got to meet Tharek and Kai (Osckilo) who came down from London as well, a couple of great guys as well.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

Brilliant Nigel. I wish I had been there. I'd been chatting to Tharek last Friday and we were saying how good it would have been to have turned up with our gear to help him out. Imagine how that would have thrown him to have a four or five piece band turn up for him.
I'm really quite envious you were there to see him play.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Oldrottenhead

im so jealous nigel, glad it all went well, like mike i wish i could have been there
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bro

If anybody sees it on YouTube please post, i'd like to see and hear Greeny in action :D
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Greeny

I'll be posting the live tracks on the 'post your work' thread shortly. They were recorded straight off the mixing desk, and the quality is great. The only downside is that I needed the BR WAV Convertor to get the raw 15 minute track off the BR. All done and chopped up though.

I have to say a VERY big thankyou to Nigel, Tharek and Kai for coming a long way (in terrible weather) to see me play. It made it a really special night for me, and they are GREAT guys. It's hard to put words around it really. I just wish the rest of you could have been there too!

I don't think there are many forums where something like this would happen. Now that I've met Flash, Nigel, Tharek and Kai, it's taken it on another level. This was beyond anything I could have expected. And it inspired me to play my best.

I need to see that orh character now, lol  ;) :D :D

Anyway... songs coming soon....

Cheers everyone

p.s. Thanks for the wonderful reviews Nigel and Tharek! Really appreciate it!

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI need to see that orh character now, lol
i'll get you gigs up here no bother, then ive no excuse for not coming to see you.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

The Reverend 48

I wish I'd been there Well Done Tim!

Ferryman

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 08, 2009, 03:25:33 AM
QuoteI need to see that orh character now, lol
i'll get you gigs up here no bother, then ive no excuse for not coming to see you.
Yes, come on Jim, what was your excuse this time? I drove for nearly 45 minutes to see Tim, why couldn't you hop on a plane?  :D

I was lucky being so close though, it was great fun. Tharek brought down his resonator guitar in case he got a chance to play. which sadly he didn;t. But what a nice guitar.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR