STRAT ATTACK....

Started by The Reverend 48, July 07, 2009, 08:39:47 AM

Sprocket

Quote from: guitarron on July 07, 2009, 09:06:39 AMpick ups would be cheaper- you could get a prewired pickguard too
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Components:_Pre-wired_pickguards.html

But its a Strat Plus, hes right in that they are becoming more rare and therefore increasing in value. Im pretty certain its got an onboard preamp too...youd kinda want to leave it as is, as much as possible.

That Classic 60's is pretty tasty alright...I settled on a Robert Cray, which is a hardtail version of the same guitar(60s Strat) with different pups, just before the Fender price increase...although I took delivery of 3 of them before I found one that was just right.

Ive had a real problem finding any place that carries the Classic 50's or 60's Strats or Teles that I could go test drive or even buy.

BTW, excellent color choice too! ;)

guitarron

that's why i suggested the  prewired plate-it can installed and uninstalled very quickly

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bro

Quote from: guitarron on July 07, 2009, 01:10:38 PMdon't trade in that gorgeous Hag whatever you do.
Oh i won't, its my first love! If there one thing i no that i would regret it would be selling my first real electric guitar! :D It's gonna be my Blackie :)
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Saijinn Maas

Hmm... After reading up about it here, I think I have to agree with Sprocket. I wouldn't mess with the Strat Plus at all.

If money isn't an issue, then I'd just buy the other one you want.

My only problem with the pre-wired pickguards is that the pups that usually come with them are generally sub par. While I am not saying they are bad, I am fairly sure they wouldn't be as good as even the Laces he is using now.

If you're gonna go with generic pups in a pre-wired assembly, you might check out Guitarfetish. They run a little bit cheaper than Stewmac.

Of course, this is all strictly MY opinion  ;)

Bluesberry

Quote from: Tony W on July 07, 2009, 01:04:26 PMAs a noob, I don't understand the draw to a strat. Can somebody enlighten me as to what the draw is? Keep in mind that I can barely play, and a guitar is still a guitar to me.
Tony, here is a fun article I found comparing the Strat and Les Paul.  For the record I have a Les Paul, 2008 American Standard Strat, and a Epiphone Sheraton.  My favorite guitar to play is the Strat for playability and tones, it is the one that sings to me when I play it.  Lots of different opinions out there as you will see.  I love the sound of a Strat played through a Fender amp.

QuoteGuitarists often have many questions and concerns when it comes to buying a new guitar, especially higher end one's. Researching with so many brands and types can be overwhelming, so I am going to give you all just a little help by comparing two of the more popular and mainstream  guitars: the Gibson Les Paul Standard and the Fender American Stratocaster. I have played both of these guitars extensively, and feel I have a good grasp as to what both of these guitars has to offer.

The Gibson Les Paul Standard is one of the most used and praised guitars ever created. It has been played by greats such as Slash, Jimmy Page, and Ace Frehley. With a Carved AA maple top, trapezoid inlays, and coming in colors such as Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Light Burst, Desert Burst, Honey  Burst, and eight others, this guitar is drop-dead gorgeous. It comes with Burstbucker pro pickups, rosewood fingerboard, tune-o-matic bridge, and gold top hat knobs. Along with these looks come powerful tones also. With the thick mahogany body, this thing can scream with ease. It has amazing sustain, along with one of the most playable necks ever. Almost anyone can pick up the guitar, and feel as if they had owned it their whole life. The two Burstbucker pros sound great, and you can switch between them easily with a three-way toggle switch. The guitar also has 2 volume knobs and 2 tone knobs. The Gibson Les Paul Standard starts at $2,299.99, which could be a little pricey for either a young guitarist or someone that has to support a family.

The Fender American Stratocaster has been called, "The American Guitar" for a while now. It has one of the most recognizable looks and tones out there. It has been made a classic by guitarists such as John Frusciante and of course, Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix completely changed the way the
 guitar was played, and he did just that with the Fender Strat. With colors such as Black, Olympic White, 3-color sunburst, and 4 others, this guitar is as much of a joy to look at as it is to play. Fender also gives you the choice of picking between a Rosewood and Maple Neck. Rosewood has been said to have a tad more sustain, while maple is said to be brighter. I, however, can barely tell the difference in sound, but the playability factor can be pretty big. The best thing you can do is go to a music store and try both necks, to see which one suits you and your style the best. The Strat comes with 3 Single coil pickups, 2 tone knobs, and 1 volume knob. The Fender American Stratocaster starts at $949.99.

While both of these guitars have their own unique factors and qualities, they are both extremely versatile. I don't believe that you will be able to find two guitars that can switch between jazz, classic rock, blues, and even metal and still sound amazing. People such as Eric Clapton and Joe Perry have played both of these guitars throughout their career, and for good reasons. They will both be able to handle being played live well, but the Gibson can put a serious strain on your back. The Fender is very easy to move around with, weighing much less then the Les Paul, but at times doesn't seem as sturdy.

After reviewing all of the pros and cons of both guitars, I have come to the conclusion that for the price, the Fender American Stratocaster is your best bet. I have purchased this guitar, and words can't describe how nice it sounds and plays. However, this does not mean that it will be the right guitar for you. This should not be a quick, simple decision for you to make. I highly recommend going to a shop and playing both of these, back to back if you can. Playing them from one to one I believe allows you to get a better feel for which one is best for you, and which one you're most comfortable with.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Saijinn Maas

Good article Bluesberry!

I did just that not too long ago. I found that I like the strat A LOT more than the Gibson. Both in tone and feel. But something I did expect was that, since I was there already, I had them pull down a PRS CE 24. And LOVED IT. It WILL BE MINE!!!  heh

But then again, I already own a strat style guitar that soothes my strat ache from time to time. I just need to put it back together now.

Wow! I just realized this is my 200th post! Since joining at the end of April! I been a member of many other music and guitar related forums, and have never felt so involved with such a great group of people!  ;D

Sprocket

Quote from: Bluesberry on July 07, 2009, 01:36:37 PMI love the sound of a Strat played through a Fender amp.

I couldnt agree more with this statement, and like TonyW, I didnt fully get "it" either, until I plugged a Strat into one.

For me, I prefer a Strat because of all the comfort features, contours, cutaways and round lines. I find Tele's and LP's to cut circulation off to my forearm and they dig into my boney ribs as well. I dont mind those guitars if Im standing to play...but I tend to play while laying in bed, alot.
I also like single coils...and have learned to overcome the 60 cycle noise.

Tony W

BB -
Thanks for the read. I was bouncing around from site to site, and found a price range of $500 to $2500 (US) on Fender Stratocaster. I know it all boils down to getting what you paid for, but that is a very wide price range. I'm very fortunate that I am in the learning stages, and not in the market for an upgrade yet. When the time comes, I will be armed with knowledge as to what I want.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Sprocket

Quote from: Tony W on July 07, 2009, 02:34:36 PMBB -
Thanks for the read. I was bouncing around from site to site, and found a price range of $500 to $2500 (US) on Fender Stratocaster. I know it all boils down to getting what you paid for, but that is a very wide price range. I'm very fortunate that I am in the learning stages, and not in the market for an upgrade yet. When the time comes, I will be armed with knowledge as to what I want.

In that case I think you might be very satisfied with a made in Mexico Standard, I can find them used here in the US(I dont know where you are) on Craigslist for $200 - $250 lovingly used. Ive even purchased a MIJ for $125. And I wouldnt turn my nose up at a good new Squier either.

Tony W

I hate going sideways on a subject like this, but I'm planning out my next 2 guitars. The acoustic electric I will have is a Rainsong. I'd take my guitar kayaking if I could, and a carbon fiber guitar can do that. I have had one in my hand, and loved it. The next Electric will be a gorgeous instrument that sounds even better than it looks. When the time comes, I'm assuming that it will be a Strat based on everything I've read to date.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR