Layla : Eric Clapton cover by Hooper

Started by hooper, April 08, 2008, 06:23:21 PM

hooper

Layla_Hooper
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Read the Clapton autobiography a couple of weeks ago which got me interested in doing something by him.  Also saw it as an opportunity to experiment some more on the Micro BR with a larger project.  So much for keeping things simple...  ::)

Layla- written by Eric Clapton
The Layla Coda- written by Jim Gordon

All parts on this original recording performed by Hooper.
Tracking of all parts (total of 16 tracks) was done on the Micro BR.  It took 6 bounces during tracking to update the temporary work mix each time and make room for the next performances.

Vocals and acoustic guitars: Recorded using the on-board mic.
Electric guitars and bass: Played through a Line 6 POD direct line-in to the BR.
Drums- Electronic drum kit with stereo audio output going to the BR line-in (stereo).
Piano- MIDI keyboard controlling a software synth on the PC, audio output from the PC soundcard sent to BR line-in (stereo).

Then the individual tracks were exported to the PC via USB and reassembled in Sonar for editing and mixing.  Editing consisted mainly of cutting out bumps, bad notes, dynamic spikes, fade-outs and some EQing.  Then a mix-down to stereo which included the panning and track level adjustments.

Then a stereo mix (in the form of separate L/R mono tracks) was exported from Sonar back over to a new blank Song on the Micro BR. Mastering effects were applied and the resulting mix exported to a stereo mp3.

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

jmccull1

Sounds great. Amazing what that little machine can do. I tell every musician I know that they should buy one!

Leafed through Clapton's book at B&N .......think I'm gonna get it!

Oldrottenhead

hats off to you hooper, sounds magic, nice lazy feel going on too, do you write your own stuff if so get it posted.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

hooper

Thanks guys. 

Yeah, Clapton's book is interesting.  He started working on it with a ghost-writer and didn't like the way it was going and actually ended up writing it all himself.  So, you can tell it's not professional writing.... But very honest and direct.  30% about music and 70% about his addictions, afflictions and recovery along with some interesting insights into the music biz.

ORH... I'm trying to write stuff all the time but it doesn't come easy for me.  ~whine~  But will try and get something up and/or jump in and collab on something.  I'm envious of how much original stuff you and some of these guys here manage to crank out!

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR

psychmusic

that sounds great and you are also very talented. I am new to all of this and have a quick question..can you give a bit of direction of how to use both the POD and BR at the same time..what kind of cable do I need, etc..thanks

hooper

Guitar--->POD--->BR

The POD has two 1/4" jacks for stereo output and the BR has one 1/8" jack at LINE-IN for stereo input.  So you need a 'Y' chord with two 1/4" Male (TS) plugs on one end and one 1/8" Male stereo (TRS) plug on the other end.  That way you have the option of  recording in mono or stereo.

You also have the option of recording mono or stereo plugging your guitar straight into the BR and using the on-board effects. The guitar isn't stereo but the effects are.
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR

guitarron

nice rendition hooper-clapton is a favorite of mine too
my girl listens to my copy of unplugged all the time

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveG

Aint it fun keeping track of so many bounces, lol. This was quite an epic project, but well worth the effort, sounds great! Nice vocals too.

hooper

Thanks again guys.

Yeah, I was finding keeping up with the tracks hard to visualize and finally resorted to creating another track sheet.... Really not different than the blank sheet provided in the back of the manual except bigger so old eyes can see it.   8)

Here's a blank copy on a PDF in case anybody else might find it useful.... 

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR

SteveG

Been meaning to make one of them, I always end up with a sheet of printer paper with scrawled notes all over it if I do something complex. Sometimes wish I had gone for 8 tracks, but this little thing is so versatile, portable and so very cute  ;D