My Blues stance - By way of an explanation

Started by Flash Harry, July 06, 2009, 06:10:31 AM

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Tony W on July 07, 2009, 10:57:23 AMThis is going to sound borderline ridiculous, but this forum has in fact, changed my life. I always wanted to play guitar, I wanted to do it because it sounded cool. Since joining here, I have been inspired, challenged, and developed an unquenchable passion for progress. I am actually mad at myself for setting such low expectations and limits on myself.

That is not ridiculous at all, actually.  It's changed my life too.  All of the encouragement I have received from some of the amazing musicians here has gotten me to the point where I am actually now confident enough to release my album worldwide in an attempt to sell my music.  Before, I would have laughed at the thought.

Quote from: Sprocket on July 07, 2009, 01:42:46 PMI try to comment on the ones I like and can relate to...but lately Ive felt like my comments have fallen on deaf ears, so I dont really see the point of doing so...unless its one of "48s allstars", as they seem to appreciate it more.

Sprocket, I make it a point to reply thoroughly to anyone who takes the time to comment on any of my posts.  I can't speak for everyone, but I know that most of the others here do as well.  I welcome and appreciate any and all comments – these words alone have caused such a revolutionary change in how I view myself and my music (also known as a GIANT HEAD).  That could be a good or bad thing, I suppose ... :-\
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Wiley

;D ;D ;D ;D
You guys are all so funny. So being the only female that hangs on this site, I figure maybe I should put in my 2 cents.  I have wanted all my life to play a lead guitar.  I can play bass and odds and ends of lots of things, but not a lead. To be truthful I never thought much one way or the other about the blues. But One person here changed my life and that is 48.  He took the time to show me in simple terms  how to play.  I don't care what it is, I can at least play something.  And the more I learn the more I like the blues. And I am progressing into other fields.  He is showing me other things. So I won't be limited to just the blues.  But it was a wonderful starting point for me and I am finding it really is a lot of fun to play. I respect your opinion and I don't really care if you listen to my posts or not, After all I am more known for country and that is really scarce on this site.  But this site has definitely broadened my knowledge and I have learned to appreciate all types of music.  Even some of the rap posts .  I may try one of them next.  ;D ;D Now that WOULD knock everyones socks off.  ;D ;D
We love you anyway Flash
HMMM definitely a rap coming on. ???

guitarron

wow that was a real heart felt post
you go PJ-you're becoming quite a versatile artist

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Diego Ayala

Nothing like speaking out and sharing one's thoughts...  It is cool how one statement can arrouse so many different thoughts/likes/dislikes/... - no wonder we are all musicians!  I for one have developed my own style of music based on many types/genres of music - from opera to classical, to blues/country/rock, alternative and many many more.  I truly enjoy many different styles of music and have played with quite a few bands from rock/southern rock to country/ jam bands, classical arrangements, and contemporary Christian music --- also performed my own compositions/arrangements.  Once a song wraps around my head, well it gets store in my nugget, and I'm sure it ends up been hybridized and blended with my own stuff.  Blues is as varied as any other style - and I marvele at the variety of songs and feel.

I am truly enjoying and appreciating very much this forum - anything that makes me think and want to expand is a good thing...  I love Blues - so hit me with it all you want...

AndyR

Good one for posting Flash :)

I'd actually wondered how many folks feel like you do on here.

I've got a slightly different stance - I love the blues myself, listen to it quite a lot, old, modern, whatever. I even play it a lot myself for my own entertainment, and when I was playing live, we always used to do some.

HOWEVER!! Although loads of what I write and record is blues-based in some way - I very very rarely want to put the effort into recording it. It just never seems to come out how it should - it's really difficult to capture an "honest performance" anyway, one that speaks to the listener, and it's even harder if it's not a bunch of musicians all playing it together live! :D

On an interesting side issue though - some of the greatest (imho!) "white boy" blues rock was played by a rhythm section that knew bugger-all about blues, nor were they particularly interested in finding out too much about it (John Bonham and John Paul Jones) - it's just their new singer was utterly fanatical about blues, and the guitarist/band-leader was keen to experiment and to assimilate any musical influence he could lay his hands on.

When they were doing The Lemon Song, I Can't Quit You Babe, etc, John Bonham was just playing what he thought fitted at the time... which is kinda what blues is all about for me anyway :D

On the "not commenting" front - my Nan brought me up with "if you can't think of anything nice to say, don't say anything at all..."

I kinda still live like that... don't always stick to it mind, but I do me best :D

So I know exactly where you're coming from...

EDIT: btw, the two Led Zeppelin songs mentioned were what started my love of all things blues back in 1979/80 - it all went from there for me. So at least one "not too keen on blues" guy (John Bonham) got me into it :D, not too sure where the bassman JPJ stood on the blues thing later, but I'd guess he was roughly the same...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Bosko Schwartz

Nicely put, Andy.  I have a similar but more broad opinion about blues and other American genres in general that I put in a post recently when responding to one of SteveB's songs (great f-ing song, by the way: https://songcrafters.org/community/br-900-b67/my-home-town-t3457/0/) ...

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on July 07, 2009, 04:25:08 PMI love how British people seem to embrace American music like blues, R&B -- or in this case -- alt-country.  It's so ironic to me, because most of my favorite music is English guys trying to do their best impressions of American R&B and blues.  So when I make music, I want it to sound like the English music that is trying to sound like American music.  The irony is almost ridiculous when you think about it, but it's a constant cycle and seems to make the world go 'round.

Led Zeppelin, as you discussed, is one of my favorite examples of this!  And how many American rock/hard rock/metal bands try to sound like Zeppelin?  Umm ... just about ALL of them. ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels