My Blues stance - By way of an explanation

Started by Flash Harry, July 06, 2009, 06:10:31 AM

Ted

Well said, Bosko.

I rarely seek out The Blues for Blues sake.  But occasionally I encounter it and am quite happy that I did. 

Case in point: My repeated attempts (here and here) to sell our blues-headed friends on my acquaintance Robert Lighthouse.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Tony W

Flash, I'm glad you started this thread. I've read every post, and consequently have been doing research on things I previously didn't understand. Yesterday I didn't know what a 12 bar progression was. Today I realize its the foundation of some of my timeless classics. Yet another thing to practice... and the hours of the day keep getting shorter but hey, I'll eventually have a well rounded skill set.

When I joined this forum, I actually thought YAFF, (yet another fuckin' forum). I intended to get in, learn what I wanted to about the MBR, and be on my way just strumming along to camp fire songs.

This is going to sound borderline ridiculous, but this forum has in fact, changed my life. I always wanted to play guitar, I wanted to do it because it sounded cool. Since joining here, I have been inspired, challenged, and developed an unquenchable passion for progress. I am actually mad at myself for setting such low expectations and limits on myself.

I never thought I'd take part in a "Thought Provoking" thread (thanks to Ferryman for that). Some of the nuggets of wisdom that you guys randomly toss out during the course of discussion are greatly appreciated by myself, and I can only imagine many more aspiring guitarists.

Thanks to all for your contributions.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Tony, that's great feedback. This is a unique forum, and these are a good bunch of people to hang around with. I've learnt a lot since being here. Don't be afraid to ask either.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

Oh believe me I ask. I feel a bit guilty for the email beating I have been giving to 48. I'm getting fairly close to submitting lesson 3 for his review. It will be the second piece I'll have posted on here. The first was definitely a piece (of shit) in retrospect, but everyone starts somewhere.

The thing I find most common is this; I didn't know I had questions until I find an answer, then research the question. I consider it my "What is That?" method of learning.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Sprocket

Flash Harry I can appreciate your post on multiple levels.
There are so many different types of music around here, I try to comment on the ones I like and can relate to...but lately Ive felt like my comments have fallen on deaf ears, so I dont really see the point of doing so...unless its one of "48s allstars", as they seem to appreciate it more.

I also think I can appreciate your stance on the blues.
I notice youd said you had the Blues Brothers soundtrack in you car...I dunno if anybody else picked up on that...I also dont know if Id call that a blues album...maybe its just ironic. I can even relate that alot of the bands mentioned are your favorites...in my teens I listened to alot of it myself and never really got it that it was blues.
But something happened after my divorce...I suddenly felt the blues, and found it in alot of different places than I thought Id ever find it, or ever really noticed.
The blues(and a local blues musician) inspired me to pick up the guitar again...and the blues just seemed like a natural route to discover theory(something Id overlooked in my teens).
Since, Ive immersed myself into blues music, I love discovering artists and songs Ive never heard, its all new to me...and better than what is actually new...I like all of the feeling and analog-ness of it all...I love watching a huge black man playing a flying V(or any guitar) and just squeezing out every last ounce of feeling...I like knowing that somebody else has felt my pain, and put it to words(and I can sing along)...if something is going on in my life, I find a blues song that suites that mood or situation, and it usually turns me around...I find alot of it humorous, some of it makes me laugh, some makes me smile(like Freddie King, I cant help but smile listening to him, you can almost hear him smiling, while wearing that big butterfly collar, with a guitar strap that wont fit around him)
Ive learned that the blues isnt for everybody, but Ive also thought of it as I do religion...at some point in time everybody finds it. Maybe now isnt your time.
Or maybe you are fortunate enough to have never felt the blues?(please take no offense to that last sentence, I realize it is rare)

Oldrottenhead

you do realise flash the next jemima's kite album was gonna be a tribute to blind lemon jefferson...........................oh well back to the drawing board
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 07, 2009, 01:52:48 PMyou do realise flash the next jemima's kite album was gonna be a tribute to blind lemon jefferson...........................oh well back to the drawing board
I love you, you old fecker! :D
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Flash Harry

Quote from: Sprocket on July 07, 2009, 01:42:46 PMOr maybe you are fortunate enough to have never felt the blues?(please take no offense to that last sentence, I realize it is rare)

Maybe I haven't, maybe. No offence taken. I can understand where you are coming from. I tend to immerse myself in Radiohead.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Flash Harry on July 07, 2009, 03:05:20 PMI tend to immerse myself in Radiohead.

Quoting Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction, "Shit, negro*, that's all you had to say!"

*Just quoting a funny line from a movie here, not trying to start a race riot.
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

guitarron

i love pulp fiction
gonna go midevil on his ass

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR