My Blues stance - By way of an explanation

Started by Flash Harry, July 06, 2009, 06:10:31 AM

Blooby

Quote from: guitarron on July 06, 2009, 09:01:40 AMblues is an easy genre to get your head around

But a very difficult genre to excel in.

I prefer my blues and jazz mixed into a stew.  I love what Robben Ford does, and I just found this rather over-the-top clip of Tommy Emanuel (which sounds more like swing at that tempo).

Blooby

Greeny

guitarron

Quote from: Blooby on July 06, 2009, 09:26:57 AM
Quote from: guitarron on July 06, 2009, 09:01:40 AMblues is an easy genre to get your head around

But a very difficult genre to excel in.

I prefer my blues and jazz mixed into a stew.

i guess that would apply to most all genres of music

Robben Ford sure does dish up a tasty stew for sure

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

Quote from: Greeny on July 06, 2009, 09:35:35 AMTommy Emmanuel... f*cking show-off  :D :D :D

Agreed but I would give my left nut to be able to pull that playing out of my bag...or should I say "sack"?  (((groan)))

Thank you very much.  I'll be here all week.

Blooby

Flash Harry

Quote from: launched on July 06, 2009, 09:25:08 AMReminds me of the famous statement in the Blues Brothers movie before they perform their act in a country bar:

Harry - you would have to PLAY in that one... Heck, I'd probably try something.

The Blues Brothers played sweet soul music, except to the rednecks - Rawhide!

It was a cracking film. I have the soundtrack in my car. I have played some places like that in my youth in real dives in Towns In The North East, thankfully now demolished, except we didn't have the luxury of a wire screen between us and the bottle lobbing audience.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

guitarron

just had my yearly viewing of this classic
what great movie

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Quote from: Flash Harry on July 06, 2009, 09:53:45 AM... I have played some places like that in my youth in real dives in Towns In The North East, thankfully now demolished, except we didn't have the luxury of a wire screen between us and the bottle lobbing audience...

I can only imagine... Hopefully not singing "Stand by Your Man" 40 times in a row. :D
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Blooby

Quote from: launched on July 06, 2009, 10:24:35 AMHopefully not singing "Stand by Your Man" 40 times in a row. :D

I played that song in front of 350 8th graders at a talent show with another guy (This was when I was teaching).  I believe the humor was lost on them.  It was, however, worth it to see their collective expression as we sang, "Sometimes it's hard to be a woman, giving all your love to just one man."

Ahhh, memories.

Blooby

Tony W

FH - I'm one of 48's students. I appreciate you opinion of the blues, it would be foolish not to. I have never been into the blues at all, but I listened to what Wiley was able to accomplish, and thought I'd give it a shot and see what I can do.

I never anticipated the amount of progress that I could make so quickly. Three weeks ago I could not play a scale, I couldn't find the right string with my pick etc. Now I'm rolling through scales fairly fluidly and starting to put together a few nice phrases.

Now that I am learning the blues, and listening to more artists, I have a better understanding of the instrument. I no longer hear random notes, and wonder how it happened. This weekend I was listening to Guns N Roses - Sweet Child of Mine, and started tinkering with the lead of the song. I was surprised at how the level of accuracy I was able to achieve.

A world of possibility that was previously closed to me has opened up, so the blues (while I was never a fan) will hold a spot in my heart from here on out. One day I will be able to comfortably play whatever I fancy, and it will stem from the fine people on this forum (48 and Witchita in particular). I have found inspiration, tutelage, support, and friendship.

Without the blues, I probably would have put my guitar on the stand again for another year, giving in to defeat.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

Quote from: guitarron on July 06, 2009, 09:55:37 AMjust had my yearly viewing of this classic
what great movie

I had a '77 Monaco for a while - Even though it was gray, everybody called it the Bluesmobile.

Quote from: Tony W on July 06, 2009, 10:55:25 AMWithout the blues, I probably would have put my guitar on the stand again for another year, giving in to defeat.

Blues licks are essential for keeping your chops up - any thing to keep you playing.

Quote from: Blooby on July 06, 2009, 10:28:27 AMI played that song in front of 350 8th graders at a talent show with another guy (This was when I was teaching).  I believe the humor was lost on them.  It was, however, worth it to see their collective expression as we sang, "Sometimes it's hard to be a woman, giving all your love to just one man."

Ahhh, memories.

You could write a book with all these anectdotal masterpieces you've posted. They have put me in stitches many times! The Tom Jones story still cracks me up.

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover