My Blues stance - By way of an explanation

Started by Flash Harry, July 06, 2009, 06:10:31 AM

Flash Harry

Now I do not wish to offend or upset anyone here, I like this community way to much to do that, but I feel that I ought to explain my stance on 'the Blues'

I just cannot get on with the blues as a genre. It's a matter of personal taste. I avoid situations that would otherwise cause me to have to listen to some.

There are some excellent guitarists here, and there are some real good guys spreading the word (I'm thinking of the wonderfully public spirited 48 and others) and the supportive atmosphere we enjoy here.

I do not comment on the blues backers and the blues originals because I just can't listen to whats being played.

It's not just the blues, I struggle with Gangsta Rap and some HipHop, but it's mostly blues that is played here.

So, with the greatest of respect to you blues players out there, please don't take it as a personal slight that I don't comment. It's simply that I avoid irritation.

Now I have that off my chest, I feel that a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

How cathartic, I think I'll tell the guys I work with what I think of them.....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

Honesty is always best, and often in short supply. So well said!

The beauty of this place is that we all have differing tastes that often cross-over to create beautiful hybrids. We can't all like the same thing, and I'm glad we don't. And nobody can accuse you of being closed-minded - just look at the eclectic nature of Jemima's Kite for evidence of that.

I started early with The Blues. It was what I first began playing, although I was steered there by Cream and The Doors.  By my twenties, I felt a total fraud for trying to play and sing the blues. It didn't help that I went to New Orleans and saw what real blues was all about.

But then I found it again, and now I just love it for what it is... pure, raw emotion put into a song.

I won't send any blues tracks for Jemima's Kite then, lol!!!!

guitarron

FH-blues gets repetitious -sometime cliche and is not for everyone-i get that

ironically i don't consider myself a blues player in the traditional genre sense, but like it or not it has become a main influence of pop, rock, country ,jazz and inevitably part of of nearly every guitarist's style either intentionally or by accident

sometimes when i see yet another blues post i think, "here we go, another blues number"-i'll still listen, give feedback on it because i guess in some sense we are all looking to hear what we can do to make it better-to become better or just to get a pat on the back

it's not a sin to not comment on a post-it is a choice-that's ok

blues is an easy genre to get your head around especially if you're just picking up the guitar such as many members here are doing

it's infectious and fun to play-but i admit i get bored with it after 5 minutes

your point does indeed apply to any genre of music that one doesn't dig
that's ok too

no offense taken here FH-in fact now i'm inspired to write "I Hate the Fuckin' Blues -Blues" lol
still love ya-no matter

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Saijinn Maas

I concur with Ron.

We should do a "I Hate the Fuckin' Blues Blues Jam Challenge!"  ;D ;D

It's all good FH. I actually have never been a HUGE fan of the blues, especially old blues. If it weren't for the great group of people here, I'd never have done the backers and such.

Flash Harry

Quote from: guitarron on July 06, 2009, 09:01:40 AMno offense taken here FH-in fact now i'm inspired to write "I Hate the Fuckin' Blues -Blues" lol
still love ya-no matter

lol! I'd listen to that one!

Cheers mate! ;D
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

guitarron

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on July 06, 2009, 09:07:44 AMI concur with Ron.

It's all good FH. I actually have never been a HUGE fan of the blues, especially old blues. If it weren't for the great group of people here, I'd never have done the backers and such.
hmmm....instead of a challenge we should make it a multi artist arrangement-so we can all pile on at once-

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Quote from: guitarron on July 06, 2009, 09:12:23 AM

hmmm....instead of a challenge we should make it a multi artist arrangement-so we can all pile on at once-

Is it going to be played in a Blues style though???!

launched

I don't hate the blues - and I do like some of it. Especially live stuff.

Reminds me of the famous statement in the Blues Brothers movie before they perform their act in a country bar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on July 06, 2009, 09:07:44 AMhmmm....instead of a challenge we should make it a multi artist arrangement-so we can all pile on at once-

Harry - you would have to PLAY in that one... Heck, I'd probably try something.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Quote from: Greeny on July 06, 2009, 09:21:51 AM
Quote from: guitarron on July 06, 2009, 09:12:23 AM

Is it going to be played in a Blues style though???!

I think it should be something contemporary, or at least "Out there"...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover