On the Mellow Side

Started by Blooby, July 05, 2009, 09:53:00 AM

OsCKilO

It takes a special kind of musician to master this style.....

That tone is superb!

You know that fret board too well Blooby!

Sublime!

Peace

T(Osckilo)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Blooby

Quote from: Satchwood on July 05, 2009, 05:17:03 PMHey Blooby - I'm definitely not turned off by this excellent piece of yours. 

I'm sorry if I implied that you were being critical.  Not so.  I just know how "out there" some jazz can get. Here is some crazy shit:

This first one I like (as opposed to the last four videos.  Blech!).  It's John Coltrane playing "Impressions."  I definitely have to be in the mood for this, but at times, it sends me.  I know this would drive most people to homicidal levels.

Rassan Roland Kirk.  Notice the two horns at once.

Sun Ra.  Oddly, Widespread Panic's guitarist Jimmy Herring used to cover this tune in the incredible Aquarium Rescue Unit.

Sonny Sharrock.  Proponent of free jazz, popularized by Ornette Coleman.  WTF?

And finally, some Ornette Coleman.  I can't help but notice nobody cares that the guitar is out of tune.  I'm curious if anybody can make it to the end of this video.

Bluesberry

Blooby, seeing as you mentioned Ornette Coleman, this is the kind of sax jazz I like, I can listen to this kind all day, Arnett Cobb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l5TvfaUmSw

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

o blooby-now ya speakin' my langauge
as matter of fact-i've had my eye on that very same model ibanez for some time now
thanks for posting this-your playing is expressive and inspired
i love "out there" jazz
a real keeper

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

Quote from: Bluesberry on July 05, 2009, 07:00:05 PMBlooby, seeing as you mentioned Ornette Coleman, this is the kind of sax jazz I like, I can listen to this kind all day, Arnett Cobb.

It sort of has a King Curtis vibe to it.  I will definitely check him out.

Guitarron, I admit I haven't used it through an amp much so I don't know how "airy" it is.  I played a solo wedding gig a few months back, and the people there (all non-musicians) seemed to like its mellowness.  I just put flat-wounds on it and am trying to get used to them.  Nice guitar but the jury is still out on whether I would recommend it.  Perhaps I thought it would allow me to magically breeze through jazz standards solo a la Joe Pass.  Twas not to be.  Sure fun to look at, though.

Blooby

The Reverend 48

This is really cool....Its real late night stuff the combo of Jazzy semi and that awesome bass..sounds like a real upright! Great post lets hear more of your jazzy side!

Greeny

You have so much skill and talent that you make this sound so natural... so easy. I know it's not. Yet again you seem able to step outside most other guitarist's comfort zone and just cut loose in a very inventive and adventurous way. I'm not a huge jazz fan (despite thinking 'Kind of Blue' is one of the finest albums ever), but this sounds like you've got it more than nailed. It's great.

p.s. I looked at the Ibanez Artcore range. They looked like lovely guitars, and seem to have very good ratings generally.

Bigsky

Very nice, I'm really liking this one.

Ferryman

Very smooth playing, great skills and great guitar sounds.

Think I found Sun Ra's UK equivalent.... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezbJkZouXX4

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

guitarron

btw
getting serious gas for a real jazzbox -again
been using a Variax for those duties
i regret ever selling my washburn J6

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder